Thoughts on Conference Play

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
Back in December I posted that the Sycamores would make waves in conference play. Unfortunately, I admit I was wrong.....7-11 doesn't scream success.

But with that said, we did win 4 road games....4 more conference road wins than all of last season. Also, we swept the conference favorite in Illinois State. And we took down Northern Iowa on their own turf. Sprinkle in the very strong play that we've shown down the stretch and I think we can make this tournament interesting, to say the least.

:sycamores:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
ISU did have a road win at UE last year, so just one road win that season, I'd say the 4 road wins this year was a marked improvement. I just hope they can ride this momentum and win 2-4 games this weekend at St. Louis. The guys seem to have alot of confidence and with Drake reeling I'd hope we'd win that game. ISU matches up well with UNI, so that is winnable too. And SIU and Bradley are both beatable as well.

We're on the right side of the bracket, that's for sure. ISU just needs to go out and prove it belongs.

Back in December I posted that the Sycamores would make waves in conference play. Unfortunately, I admit I was wrong.....7-11 doesn't scream success.

But with that said, we did win 4 road games....4 more conference road wins than all of last season. Also, we swept the conference favorite in Illinois State. And we took down Northern Iowa on their own turf. Sprinkle in the very strong play that we've shown down the stretch and I think we can make this tournament interesting, to say the least.

:sycamores:

Arch Madness

Given the Sycamores lack of depth, K-mac's substitution formula will be vital to the maintenance of legs thru the four games...:sycamores:

Considering the way we started the season I would consider the MVC conf. season somewhat successful. I mean many of us including myself "ok not that many of us" thought that ISU would have trouble winning a single conf. game what so ever. Based on that projection I would say they had a pretty decent season actually. Like you guys say they are young!

With that being said I really don't think this team will make a huge run in the MVC tourney. Not that I wouldn't smile from ear to ear if they did, but I just don't see how it is possible. I would say no more than 1 and done. Anyone who thinks they are going to go deeper than that needs to provide evidence as to why that will happen.

Reasons they won't make a deep tourney run:
1. Lack of depth (legs will get tired people)
2. Turnovers (One game of 18 plus turnovers and it's over)
3. Lack of experience (a team this young stands little chance in tourney play)
4. Zero inside presence (If the shots are not falling, we need a post presence)
5. Simply not good enough (Fact)

Please convince me other wise. And don't call me any names for sheer honesty. I just attempt to put "realistic" expectations on any team and anyone who thinks they are going to "shock the world" in the MVC tourney is smoking something that I need to get my hands on.

Considering the way we started the season I would consider the MVC conf. season somewhat successful. I mean many of us including myself "ok not that many of us" thought that ISU would have trouble winning a single conf. game what so ever. Based on that projection I would say they had a pretty decent season actually. Like you guys say they are young!

With that being said I really don't think this team will make a huge run in the MVC tourney. Not that I wouldn't smile from ear to ear if they did, but I just don't see how it is possible. I would say no more than 1 and done. Anyone who thinks they are going to go deeper than that needs to provide evidence as to why that will happen.

Reasons they won't make a deep tourney run:
1. Lack of depth (legs will get tired people)
2. Turnovers (One game of 18 plus turnovers and it's over)
3. Lack of experience (a team this young stands little chance in tourney play)
4. Zero inside presence (If the shots are not falling, we need a post presence)
5. Simply not good enough (Fact)

Please convince me other wise. And don't call me any names for sheer honesty. I just attempt to put "realistic" expectations on any team and anyone who thinks they are going to "shock the world" in the MVC tourney is smoking something that I need to get my hands on.

Yeah, you'd love what I'm smoking! Maybe someday I'll share!:bigsmile:

First off, our chances of winning the whole thing aren't great. Matter of fact, there would be money to be made if we actually did that. (Although one of our assistants has been with a team that won four games in four days to win a tournament like this) However, that doesn't mean that the possibility isn't there. First, of course, we have to beat Drake. Obviously that's a goal that can, and should, be accomplished. We were 12 points better than them a couple of weeks ago, and we haven't regressed since that game, while Drake may have actually done that. So there's a game that's winnable.

Then, if we accomplish that, we get to play UNI. Of the top 3 seeds this year, this is the team we have the best chance of beating. We did it once, on the road, and really could have swept them. We match up well with them, and if we don't sink ourselves with stupid turnovers (you're spot on with that assessment, Morgan), we can play with those guys. The X-factor is fatigue, playing a mere 15 or so hours after getting done the night before. If (a huge IF) we can somehow successfully fight that, the Friday upset is not out of the question. And if we win Friday, anything is possible.

When I said, "...shock the world..." it was more of a rallying cry to get people pumped about going to see the guys tonight, than an actual prediction. Certain circumstances call for that kind of rhetoric, you know.

And remember, many people in history have done many great things, simply because no one told them that they couldn't. There is something to being optimistic. Heck, if we lose, we're not any worse than expected. If we win, it's party time!!!

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

Ahhh indeed I was not trying to rain on your parade or anything... I just think their is more than likely way to much stacked up against this team. Like I said, I would expect no more than 1 and done. Anything more than that would be great.

The quote goes as follows:
"Always listen to the experts (That's me). They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it."
-Robert Heinlein ;)

IndyTree I hope you are right!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Back