'10 IN RB Shakir Bell (Indiana State Verbal)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Shakir Bell

Shakier Bell is on the 46 man roster for today's Edmonton game ... strange CFL rules though ... they must name 2 more before the game for a 44 man active roster ... hope he gets a chance to show what he can do!!! Game time is 7PM Eastern. I will be watching.

Last edited:
He is on the roster for today's game .... but before the game they still remove to of the 46 ...hope he gets a chance today ... I will be watching. Game time 7 PM Eastern

Shakir had impressive first half

Shakir had a great first half, running and blocking.
Shakir had runs of 14 and 26 yards and compiled, if my math is correct, 67 yards in 8 carries. He also caught a pass for five yards.
Two of his blocks were spectacular.
Edmonton leads at the half, 8 to 3.

Shakir had 7 carries for 70 yards in te first half and announcers were very complimentary on a couple of his blocks.

nice to see Bell wearing #33, of course the same number worn by another famous ISU alumni

he had a great game, good for him!

Chris Schultz, a CFL columnist for TSN, speaks out:

There is nothing more important than finding good players, getting them into your organization and molding them into stars. After a three-game situational test, I think Rakeem Cato is on his way. For someone who is 23, he has remarkable poise and control. He has equal ability in and out of the pocket with as smooth a throwing motion and delivery that there is in the league. On August 1, he will make his fourth start in pro football and even though playing in Calgary will be a significant challenge, I see no reason why he won't enjoy continued success. He has 'it', whatever 'it' is.

Another player that has 'it' is Edmonton Eskimos running back Shakir Bell. Eighteen carries for 144 yards at 0ttawa was impressive, considering this was his first start, but it was the types of runs that you can't help but be impressed by. Some were pure effort and determination, a refusal to go down until the end was inevitable. Other runs were successful due to reading the blocking, making the most of the moment and doing the simple aspect of following the way the play was designed. His 5'8" stature seems to be an asset more than a limitation and perhaps his greatest asset is natural explosive acceleration.

Just like in Montreal with Rakeem Cato, whoever found Shakir Bell made their contribution to winning in a big way. I realize it is one game and how he blocks on passes is a mystery to unfold but you just see moments of running back skill that impresses. To me, John White is a slasher/sprinter while Bell is a make-you-miss/run-you-over-type of back and like Cato, should enjoy continued success. He has 'it'.

Here are some Facebook comments:
https://www.facebook.com/edmontoneskimos/posts/10153463186730420

Last edited:
The Canadian Football League announced Eskimos running back Shakir Bell and defensive end Marcus Howard as two of the three top players of the week for Week 4 for their performances in Friday's 23-12 victory over the Ottawa RedBlacks.

Bell recorded 154 all-purpose yards, including 144 yards on 18 carries - the most recorded by a single player in a game this season. Friday's win marked Bell's first regular season game in the CFL.

Bell Sidelined with Concussion

To those who have been following Shakir Bell, you probably saw where it was announced last week that he suffered a concussion in practice and would not play in the game last Thursday. Edmonton lost but Chad Simpson, Bell's replacement (and former starter), gained 98 yards in 13 carries and caught a 45-yard pass for a touchdown.

I wish his career had ended differently here. He was battling an injury his senior year and then something happened to where he supposedly was kicked off of the team mid season. Regardless he certainly did enough to deserve to have his jersey retired in my opinion. Jeff Miller would certainly be another worthy candidate as well as Reggie Allen and Vincent Allen.

I wish his career had ended differently here. He was battling an injury his senior year and then something happened to where he supposedly was kicked off of the team mid season. Regardless he certainly did enough to deserve to have his jersey retired in my opinion. Jeff Miller would certainly be another worthy candidate as well as Reggie Allen and Vincent Allen.
Vincent Allen for sure. That guy was fun to watch. I see him at HC every year.
Wonder what happened to Shakier that got him kicked off the team? He reminded me of Vincent.

Back