2021-22 Schedule Update

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
image_handler.aspx

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Indiana State men's basketball announced its 2021-22 nonconference schedule Monday (August 2). The nonconference slate features 14 contests, including matchups versus Purdue, Ball State and Old Dominion, as well as six home games inside renovated Hulman Center.

More...

This is the first season, in a real
long time, in which I don’t even care that we have two non-D1 schools on the regular season schedule.

This is the first season, in a real
long time, in which I don’t even care that we have two non-D1 schools on the regular season schedule.
We have Hanover and who else?

The Rose game is an exhibition and does not count.

Are you talking Ball State?

Someone educate me on the purpose of the non D1 scheduling. I know these games don’t effect RPI/SOS and nearly guarantee wins. Is this done to pad wins or save money or both? Is a win versus a non D-1 better than a win against a MEAC school? Or is it just cheaper?

Isn't Oakland (Detroit) where Cooper Neese's fellow HS backcourt mate is playing? Also recall the rumor of his possible transfer there here on the forum, but there was much of that back then.

Someone educate me on the purpose of the non D1 scheduling. I know these games don’t effect RPI/SOS and nearly guarantee wins. Is this done to pad wins or save money or both? Is a win versus a non D-1 better than a win against a MEAC school? Or is it just cheaper?
It's a combination of the games being cheap, padding wins, and just pure laziness when it comes to scheduling. RPI no longer matters in men's basketball. A win against any low major (even Chicago State) is better for your NET than a win against any non-D1.

There are literally folks out there that are against us scheduling home and homes with schools like EIU, IUPUI, IPFW, etc, because we are "too good" for that, yet we literally schedule two games against non-D1's every year just so we can have a couple of cheap home games. Makes zero sense. I'd rather drive an extra hour to Charleston to watch us play D1 competition than to watch us play Hanover College. In the end though it doesn't matter because we are never getting an at-large bid in basketball, but I'm still a strong believer that we should only be playing D1 schools. RHIT as an exhibition is okay I guess, but a D2 would be better (UINDY, USI, McKendree, Quincy). I don't think playing D3 schools helps us that much, but they'll probably play us for a crave case from White Castle.

Football is the same way. I know last season was cancelled, but we had Lindenwood MO (who I had never even heard of) on the schedule, and they don't even count as a win in the playoff committee's eyes. And before someone says they do, I actually know what I'm talking about because I've been following the playoffs a long time. In 2019 I picked the entire 24 team field correctly before they were released. Here's where the pure laziness comes in: Tennessee State was playing a D2 the same day we had Lindenwood scheduled. I'd have rather seen us schedule a game in Nashville against them and got a return game a few years down the road, so we could increase our playoff chances. After all we only spend over $4M a year on the program. If we're not trying to make the playoffs then what's the point?

It's a combination of the games being cheap, padding wins, and just pure laziness when it comes to scheduling. RPI no longer matters in men's basketball. A win against any low major (even Chicago State) is better for your NET than a win against any non-D1.

There are literally folks out there that are against us scheduling home and homes with schools like EIU, IUPUI, IPFW, etc, because we are "too good" for that, yet we literally schedule two games against non-D1's every year just so we can have a couple of cheap home games. Makes zero sense. I'd rather drive an extra hour to Charleston to watch us play D1 competition than to watch us play Hanover College. In the end though it doesn't matter because we are never getting an at-large bid in basketball, but I'm still a strong believer that we should only be playing D1 schools. RHIT as an exhibition is okay I guess, but a D2 would be better (UINDY, USI, McKendree, Quincy). I don't think playing D3 schools helps us that much, but they'll probably play us for a crave case from White Castle.

Football is the same way. I know last season was cancelled, but we had Lindenwood MO (who I had never even heard of) on the schedule, and they don't even count as a win in the playoff committee's eyes. And before someone says they do, I actually know what I'm talking about because I've been following the playoffs a long time. In 2019 I picked the entire 24 team field correctly before they were released. Here's where the pure laziness comes in: Tennessee State was playing a D2 the same day we had Lindenwood scheduled. I'd have rather seen us schedule a game in Nashville against them and got a return game a few years down the road, so we could increase our playoff chances. After all we only spend over $4M a year on the program. If we're not trying to make the playoffs then what's the point?

I have a lot of concerns about ISU's two main sports right now but to be fair scheduling isn't one of them. Specifically, going forward you have to give the football staff and the admin credit on the scheduling issue. All of our football games are D-1 this year and we have H/H deals with UT Martin and Montana booked in the coming years. And while money games against the SEC or ACC may pay more I am excited they are against in-state Big 10 Schools in the coming years.

Re MBB: It seems almost every year the OVC or MVC has a team in at-large March Madness discussions. It doesn’t always happen but it at least seems possible. If ISU wins 25 or 26 games this year with wins against Purdue and Oklahoma we’ll probably be in at-large discussions on Selection Sunday. The schedule is there....just need to win.

There are literally folks out there that are against us scheduling home and homes with schools like EIU, IUPUI, IPFW, etc, because we are "too good" for that, yet we literally schedule two games against non-D1's every year just so we can have a couple of cheap home games. Makes zero sense.
Who is against us scheduling home-and-home games against EIU, IUPUI, IPFW, etc.? I've never heard anyone say that.

Also, scheduling DII games, win or lose, has zero impact on NET rankings. Playing the bottom 20 schools in DI, win or lose, absolutely could hurt our NET ranking.

I think we need to keep in mind this is Schertz's first schedule put together and he hasn't had a long time to work on it. Had to throw it together in a few months when other teams were close to finalizing it .

I think we need to keep in mind this is Schertz's first schedule put together and he hasn't had a long time to work on it. Had to throw it together in a few months when other teams were close to finalizing it .
Exactly.

If next years schedule has multiple D2 schools then complain. This year was probably “get whoever you can whenever you can” mode.

Playing the bottom 20 schools in DI, win or lose, absolutely could hurt our NET ranking.
This is what everyone thinks, but let me educate everyone on this. If you schedule a bunch of low majors in the non-conference and beat most of them by at least 10, your NET will be in the top 20 by the time you make it to the conference season. This is why the BIG schools schedule a bunch of home games against nobodies.

If you don't believe me look at Drake's schedule last year. They played absolutely nobody that was any good in the non-conference and their NET was in the top 25 going into MVC play, just because they won all their games by double digits. Kansas State may look like a big win, but K-State was awful. Even Fort Hayes State beat them by 13.

You are right about D2 games not doing anything. They are a complete waste of time. Beating Chicago State by 10 actually helps you.

The MVC is good enough to where you can play a crap schedule like that and then pick up Q1 and Q2 wins in MVC play, which is what Drake did by beating Loyola by 1 in OT. Loyola also beat Drake who was a Q1 so that helped the Ramblers too.

This is what everyone thinks, but let me educate everyone on this. If you schedule a bunch of low majors in the non-conference and beat most of them by at least 10, your NET will be in the top 20 by the time you make it to the conference season. This is why the BIG schools schedule a bunch of home games against nobodies.

If you don't believe me look at Drake's schedule last year. They played absolutely nobody that was any good in the non-conference and their NET was in the top 25 going into MVC play, just because they won all their games by double digits. Kansas State may look like a big win, but K-State was awful. Even Fort Hayes State beat them by 13.

You are right about D2 games not doing anything. They are a complete waste of time. Beating Chicago State by 10 actually helps you.

The MVC is good enough to where you can play a crap schedule like that and then pick up Q1 and Q2 wins in MVC play, which is what Drake did by beating Loyola by 1 in OT. Loyola also beat Drake who was a Q1 so that helped the Ramblers too.
The Big 10 schedules cupcakes because they'll get enough quadrant 1 and 2 games within their own conference. Why would they schedule anyone difficult otherwise? It's exactly why I give Purdue credit for playing us often. Painter is the only one with the balls to do it.

For ISU, we'd have zero quadrant 1 or 2 wins if you go the route of playing the dredges of D1. Quadrant 1 and 2 wins are the only thing the committee cares about. There just aren't many opportunities to pick up Q1 and Q2 wins in the MVC...maybe 4 total chances. And, who cares what Drake's NET ranking was in early January? The only thing that mattered was their continued dominance through the conference schedule. Their final NET ranking before the NCAA tournament was 45, and they BARELY made it in as an at-large. The reason why? They scheduled nobody in the non-con.

The reality is, none of this really matters. We are generally, now, a one-big league. Winning the MVC tournament is realistically our only way in, so why not play the best teams you can play in the non-con?

As an aside, the first NET rankings don't come out until after January 1, which Drake was already three games into their conference schedule (sweeping ISU on the road and win at home vs. SIU). They didn't have a NET ranking coming into MVC play.

If everyone in the mvc beats the tar out of their non mvc opponents then all the mvc teams will have a good net rating. It will be the same as what the big 14 does.
Exactly, and where it really counts is the MTE's that every MVC team plays in each year.

If just half of the MVC Teams would win their MTE's, there would be plenty of Quadrant 1 and 2 wins for the MVC to crow about.

Go look who UNI has the potential to beat this year, or Southern Illinois and Bradley....and us...just win out in these tournaments, and our RPI, NET, etc. will be through the roof.

Exactly, and where it really counts is the MTE's that every MVC team plays in each year.

If just half of the MVC Teams would win their MTE's, there would be plenty of Quadrant 1 and 2 wins for the MVC to crow about.

Go look who UNI has the potential to beat this year, or Southern Illinois and Bradley....and us...just win out in these tournaments, and our RPI, NET, etc. will be through the roof.

Every MVC bitches about not getting P5 or other major conferences to play. However, everyone gets that chance in these Multi Team Events every year. Stopping whining and start winning when the chance is presented.

Look at the opportunities for Loyola. Wow.

Missouri State's MTE

Evansville's

Drake in an ESPN Invitational

Myrtle Beach Invitational-Just purchased tickets for the wife me . Anybody else out there planning on going?
Looking forward to the season. GO SYCAMORES!

Back