2022 Offseason Player Movement

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
look where all these ex sycamores possibly going, one went to Wake Forest, and the other has visits had some power 5 schools, man are we loosing a lot to the transfer portal, but what have we gained in return ? Nothing, Nothing. excuse me, excuse me Coop who is really loyal and I guess we will see him next year. I say to my self everyday, we could have had a great team, this coming year, Key,LaRavia, Coop, and Williams, finally a scoring punch!!! Hopefully success comes soon, rather than later.

look where all these ex sycamores possibly going, one went to Wake Forest, and the other has visits had some power 5 schools, man are we loosing a lot to the transfer portal, but what have we gained in return ? Nothing, Nothing. excuse me, excuse me Coop who is really loyal and I guess we will see him next year. I say to my self everyday, we could have had a great team, this coming year, Key,LaRavia, Coop, and Williams, finally a scoring punch!!! Hopefully success comes soon, rather than later.
Are you still talking last year? Only Laravia went "big time" & made a splash with a team that never got to play in the NCAA Big Dance so? The rest of them ended up playing for losers or not at all. I don't see that any of this past season Sycamores have even found a home yet? Key is not really a "last season player" & has already graduated & may get a good landing spot somewhere? Take a look at life today "The programs in college basketball who are still able to build programs are now the exception. The programs in college basketball who build teams year-to-year are now the norm. This is life in 2022. Embrace it." The Sycamores have added mucho talent for the upcoming season. Get with the program before spewing your trash!

Shoot I got here too late. I was going to warn you that you can't talk like that on this board. Everything has to be anti-Lansing and anti-anyonewhoplayedforLansing. You have to toe the line that JS and his staff are a HUGE coaching upgrade and the talent is likewise a HUGE upgrade. Never mind that Key is going to play on a national stage next year and possibly go to the NBA. Or that LaRavia is being discussed as a legit NBA Draft prospect (not this year but next) and possibly 1st team ACC. Cobie Barnes didn't pan out as we had hoped as an underclassman but is now a Top 100 JUCO prospect and may end up at a P6 before it's all said and done. You can't bring up that the only ISU winning teams since 1979 are with Lansing recruits or that he won 11 of his last 13 games and had back-to-back winning seasons finishing in the top half of the MVC all with the lowest budget and salary before ISU said "we can do better, bye." Oh but his record in St Louis? He is the only ISU coach to make the Arch Madness finals twice since it's inception and made the semifinals in his last year. Yes ISU lost badly but lost to a team that had Krutwig and made the Sweet 16.

I have been willing to give Schertz a fair shake since he got here (and I still am...it's not his fault ISU blew up the program on purpose but he knew what he was getting in to--at least to some extent). The theory is he was brought in to do better than Lansing. So, do better.

Last edited:

Tyreke Key played basketball at ISU for four years and stayed in school for five years. I’m not sure what more anyone should reasonably expect from him. We got everything out of Key, and it just so happens he has an extra year of eligibility due to COVID. But, let’s not act like we’re getting screwed here or that there’s a larger issue looming or the P5 is coming for our players.

Also, I’m totally fine talking about Lansing and his players. I generally just choose not to because what’s done is done. Rehashing the past, whether the good or the bad, just feels like a waste of time. We’re in the here and now. We can only change the locker room code so many times.

Shoot I got here too late. I was going to warn you that you can't talk like that on this board. Everything has to be anti-Lansing and anti-anyonewhoplayedforLansing. You have to toe the line that JS and his staff are a HUGE coaching upgrade and the talent is likewise a HUGE upgrade. Never mind that Key is going to play on a national stage next year and possibly go to the NBA. Or that LaRavia is being discussed as a legit NBA Draft prospect (not this year but next) and possibly 1st team ACC. Cobie Barnes didn't pan out as we had hoped as an underclassman but is now a Top 100 JUCO prospect and may end up at a P6 before it's all said and done. You can't bring up that the only ISU winning teams since 1979 are with Lansing recruits or that he won 11 of his last 13 games and had back-to-back winning seasons finishing in the top half of the MVC all with the lowest budget and salary before ISU said "we can do better, bye." Oh but his record in St Louis? He is the only ISU coach to make the Arch Madness finals twice since it's inception and made the semifinals in his last year. Yes ISU lost badly but lost to a team that had Krutwig and made the Sweet 16.

I have been willing to give Schertz a fair shake since he got here (and I still am...it's not his fault ISU blew up the program on purpose but he knew what he was getting in to--at least to some extent). My theory is he was brought in to do better than Lansing. So, do better.

If Cobie Barnes ends up at a P6 I will quit SycamorePride - I said it... So someone please monitor and then quote this post if that ever happens. Because I don't have any business talking about college basketball anymore if that is the case. Some other people on here should learn from this post and make similar proclamations and hold themselves accountable.

I might have said it before on here but it's worth repeating. JS is much better positioned as a HC to deal with roster volatility than GL or likely anyone else that had coached here prior to them. I think this past off-season is an indication of how well equipped he is to deal with this current environment. The rest of the MVC had guys still declaring for the portal when we had just finished up filling out our roster. He had many gaps to fill and on paper upgraded in every single position - save for maybe Micha Thomas I think he was going to continue to develop into a fine player for us.

Also - I don't think everything is or has been anti-Lansing. I think most of us have just moved on at this point - I mean I suppose you can continue to reference him in an effort to hold the new coach and Administration accountable if he fails. But that's really not a great way to enjoy college basketball... Again, it almost puts you in a position as a fan where you are happy when your team wins and you are happy when they lose. You get the satisfaction from your team winning and you get satisfaction from being right that we should have never gotten rid of GL. Yeah... Not thanks for me. That is not anti-Lansing that is just what moving on looks like.

Pending this Cobie Barnes ascension to P6 - every post could be my last post on SP.

If Cobie Barnes ends up at a P6 I will quit SycamorePride - I said it... So someone please monitor and then quote this post if that ever happens. Because I don't have any business talking about college basketball anymore if that is the case. Some other people on here should learn from this post and make similar proclamations and hold themselves accountable.

I might have said it before on here but it's worth repeating. JS is much better positioned as a HC to deal with roster volatility than GL or likely anyone else that had coached here prior to them. I think this past off-season is an indication of how well equipped he is to deal with this current environment. The rest of the MVC had guys still declaring for the portal when we had just finished up filling out our roster. He had many gaps to fill and on paper upgraded in every single position - save for maybe Micha Thomas I think he was going to continue to develop into a fine player for us.

Also - I don't think everything is or has been anti-Lansing. I think most of us have just moved on at this point - I mean I suppose you can continue to reference him in an effort to hold the new coach and Administration accountable if he fails. But that's really not a great way to enjoy college basketball... Again, it almost puts you in a position as a fan where you are happy when your team wins and you are happy when they lose. You get the satisfaction from your team winning and you get satisfaction from being right that we should have never gotten rid of GL. Yeah... Not thanks for me. That is not anti-Lansing that is just what moving on looks like.

Pending this Cobie Barnes ascension to P6 - every post could be my last post on SP.

Supposedly it is anti-Lansing to discuss the flaws in his roster (not much happening outside of Jake, Tre, Key and Coop...). I also didn't realize I have to give all of the credit in the world to Greg for giving me some great childhood memories (watching the Green/Renn/Menser teams and going to Memphis for the upset). Big thanks to you Greg!! Let's be real, 2010 through 2014 were good years that spanned my time in college. And then a big thanks for 2015-2019...those years were super enjoyable.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure Hooper knows how thankful SycamorePride and myself is for Coach Lansing. And yes, Cobie...man did we miss him this past season!

Cobie is currently #32 in this poll and yeah most of those guys around that ranking go to MM's...but #17 is going to a P5. So who knows where he'll land especially if his stock rises.

You like carnival games. This shit is a big game of cakewalk. If spots are filled and someone needs a body, he may just win the cake.

The rest of the MVC had guys still declaring for the portal when we had just finished up filling out our roster.
This is something I took notice of once our final addition was announced/signed. I definitely think it speaks volumes for Coach Schertz, or at least I hope it does.

With that being said...(insert entering-the-portal statement).

Texas Tech would be the better choice in my opinion if you going off success. Tennesse is 2nd. Oklahoma 3rd. But if you want family and friends to be there obviously Tennessee is the pick. Not sure why Ole Miss is even being considered.

b/c it's a P5 school, it's approximately the same distance from Celina TN to Oxford, MS as it is to Terredise, IND and it's not a "bad school" (academically)

Texas Tech would be the better choice in my opinion if you going off success. Tennesse is 2nd. Oklahoma 3rd. But if you want family and friends to be there obviously Tennessee is the pick. Not sure why Ole Miss is even being considered.
Kermit Davis is the HC there, and was at Middle TN ST in Murphysboro from 2002-18, likely recruited by Davis in HS and likes Davis as a person/coach.

Back