2022 Offseason Player Movement

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Cobie is currently #32 in this poll and yeah most of those guys around that ranking go to MM's...but #17 is going to a P5. So who knows where he'll land especially if his stock rises.

Take a fresh look at his latest (maybe only) offers. One of many of these transfer players who think they are better than they are.

Before all of the conference realignment I thought ISU didn’t have much of a chance to compete in the mvc in 22-23. After realignment I thought it was Murray state’s conference. Now it looks like the door is wide open to compete. Still a lot of roster decisions to be made on other teams but not sure I see anybody running away except Missouri state or drake. Almost time to start prematurely ranking teams. (ISU in the top 6?)

Before all of the conference realignment I thought ISU didn’t have much of a chance to compete in the mvc in 22-23. After realignment I thought it was Murray state’s conference. Now it looks like the door is wide open to compete. Still a lot of roster decisions to be made on other teams but not sure I see anybody running away except Missouri state or drake. Almost time to start prematurely ranking teams. (ISU in the top 6?)
Missouri State isn't running away with anything as long as Dana Ford is their coach... 🤣

Shoot I got here too late. I was going to warn you that you can't talk like that on this board. Everything has to be anti-Lansing and anti-anyonewhoplayedforLansing. You have to toe the line that JS and his staff are a HUGE coaching upgrade and the talent is likewise a HUGE upgrade. Never mind that Key is going to play on a national stage next year and possibly go to the NBA. Or that LaRavia is being discussed as a legit NBA Draft prospect (not this year but next) and possibly 1st team ACC. Cobie Barnes didn't pan out as we had hoped as an underclassman but is now a Top 100 JUCO prospect and may end up at a P6 before it's all said and done. You can't bring up that the only ISU winning teams since 1979 are with Lansing recruits or that he won 11 of his last 13 games and had back-to-back winning seasons finishing in the top half of the MVC all with the lowest budget and salary before ISU said "we can do better, bye." Oh but his record in St Louis? He is the only ISU coach to make the Arch Madness finals twice since it's inception and made the semifinals in his last year. Yes ISU lost badly but lost to a team that had Krutwig and made the Sweet 16.

I have been willing to give Schertz a fair shake since he got here (and I still am...it's not his fault ISU blew up the program on purpose but he knew what he was getting in to--at least to some extent). The theory is he was brought in to do better than Lansing. So, do better.
No the truth is most of us on here choose not to continually live in the past and keep over and over and over talking about three or four ex-players and an old coach who are IRRELIVENT to the future path of Indiana State basketball. Lansing is GONE, LaRavia is GONE, Key has been gone for two years counting injury. Cobie Barnes is GONE and playing glorified high school ball/ AKA JUCO league, the guys nobody wanted in D1 or D2. NONE of these guys have played any effect on the future of a Josh Schertz coached team. The fact is Lansing couldn't get it it done with these players that is why he is no longer a coach anywhere, and it's funny how LaRavia and Barns improved so much and are now NBA material AFTER they got away from Lansing. In my opinion, Key just milked ISU for free medical knowing he wasn't going to play for Schertz. The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing expecting different results. Simple enough, ISU finally decided not to repeat the same thing praying for a different result and hired a new direction. I applaud Josh Schertz for sticking to his guns and creating a new direction. Last year wasn't his team it was just an exercise that put enough players together to play games. We are just starting to see his teams develop this coming year. I really don't know how you can even begin to compare last years thrown together mess of holdovers and last minute finds to Lansing who was handed a team developed and recruited by Waltman and McCenna that he won a MVC in his first year, NIT next year, again not his team but again Waltman McCenna players. That is a stat not much talked about. Schertz didn't have that luxury. Only time will tell, he may turn out to be another Lansing or maybe he could be the start of something special. Maybe Jason can add a special section called "the Glory Days" where people can go talk about the good ol days and good ol boys of the past.

Lansing who was handed a team developed and recruited by Waltman and McCenna that he won a MVC in his first year, NIT next year, again not his team but again Waltman McCenna players. That is a stat not much talked about.

Remind me who was the main recruiter on Waltman’s (the winning years) and McKenna’s respective staffs. Remind me what happened to recruiting when Lansing left. Waltman himself admitted recruiting mistakes when Lansing was gone. Rick Ray said in an interview a few years ago that Waltman loved X’s and O’s and disliked recruiting. And when Lansing came back as an assistant and started recruiting again things got better with those players.

The MVC will probably be the weakest it’s been in years with all of these transfers and JS certainly has a shot to win. ISU was near the top of the MVC Lansing’s last two years and everyone here says that wasn’t good enough and ISU can do better. 3rd/4th in the MVC wasn’t good enough. So logic dictates we should expect 1st or 2nd because ISU brought in a coach they thought was better than what they had. So those are my expectations. I’m rooting for (and have previously gambled some chunks of money already on) JS’s success.

Mervis in the portal. Imagine Tyreke Key returns to ISU as a walkon, but signs a 50k NIL deal with Thompson Thrift.

Mervis in the portal. Imagine Tyreke Key returns to ISU as a walkon, but signs a 50k NIL deal with Thompson Thrift.
I'd love to know how many walk ons have entered the transfer portal since it became a thing. And what the results have been.

Back