Coaching replacement list

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Before starting......My interaction with Mr. Clinkscales and Dr. Curtis have been good ones. I am not a "hater" of either one.
Having said that......I disagree with the cutting ties with Greg Lansing. I fear we have tough times
ahead of us.......I want to be wrong....but I fear I am not.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
All I can say this ordeal with the AD and Curtis, has been handled terribly. I feel for coach.
On the otherhand there are a lot of positives about the program., and we have to move on.
1- last 2 years winning seasons
2- a beautiful and renovated arena, that will definitely excite recruits.
3- still in a fantastic conference MVC
4- if we get a coach who can create excitement, increase attendance, keep the core group around
Jake, Williams, Larry, Coop, and maybe Tyre comes back, wishful thinking, probably has an offer to play in Europe.

My unofficial list of candidates to call. No real order, just names off the top of my head and not including in house KRich or the rumored guy in Shrewsberry.

Steve Prohm, Iowa State - if he is let go this week.
Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Ritchie McKay, Liberty
Drew Valentine, Loyola
Brandin Knight, Rutgers
Dane Fife, Michigan State
Bob Richey, Furman
Kim English, Tennessee
Michael Lewis, UCLA
Joe Pasternack, UC Santa Barbara
Russell Turner, UC Irvine
Tim Buckley, UNLV
David Ragland, Utah State
Wes Miller, UNC Greensboro
Kyle Neptune, Villanova
Luke Murray, Louisville
Duane Simpkins, George Mason
John Jakus, Baylor
Jason Hart, USC
Matt McMahon, Murray State
Jordan Mincy, Florida
Chris Caputo, Miami
Joe Krabbenhoft, Wisconsin
John Scheyer, Duke
Kellen Sampson, Houston
Chin Coleman, Illinois
John Thompson III, NBA front office
Tim Miles, TV Analyst
Thad Matta, TV Analyst
Chris Lowery, Kansas State
Wyking Jones, No gig

and Todd Golden, San Francisco just so he could make TribStar Todd's job weird.

If I were a betting man, I’d put money on Ragland.

Hoping for Kim English.

I got to know Rod Clark at Austin Peay when I wrote for a fan site there. He is very impressive and a great recruiter of Chicago.

If I were a betting man, I’d put money on Ragland.

Hoping for Kim English.

I got to know Rod Clark at Austin Peay when I wrote for a fan site there. He is very impressive and a great recruiter of Chicago.

I've seen Clark coach in AAU a couple years back for MoKan Elite when we were recruiting some of their guys. Missouri State's Mosely was on his squad, too.

A lot of the guys on my list are guys I'd routinely see at the AAU events working.

Some others outside of Jason's I'd at least call and judge interest

Patrick Chambers, former Penn State coach
Steve Lavin, former HC at UCLA & St.John's. Currently Fox Sports broadcaster
John Becker, HC at Vermont. 229-95 in 10 years at Vermont
Ryan Odum, HC at UMBC

Would anyone even give a guy like Rick Pitino a call? :D

Some others outside of Jason's I'd at least call and judge interest

Patrick Chambers, former Penn State coach
Steve Lavin, former HC at UCLA & St.John's. Currently Fox Sports broadcaster
John Becker, HC at Vermont. 229-95 in 10 years at Vermont
Ryan Odum, HC at UMBC

Would anyone even give a guy like Rick Pitino a call? :D

Odom will stay on the East Coast until a higher level gig comes a calling
Becker... could stay at Vermont forever; at worst... he stay in Burlington until a higher level gig comes a calling...

Lavin... a flashy hire; I don't see him staying more than 3-5 years
Chambers... i don't see taking our job; he won (some) in Happy Valley... he'd be longer term than a Lavin pick

My unofficial list of candidates to call. No real order, just names off the top of my head and not including in house KRich or the rumored guy in Shrewsberry.

Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Ritchie McKay, Liberty
Drew Valentine, Loyola
Brandin Knight, Rutgers
Bob Richey, Furman
Kim English, Tennessee
Michael Lewis, UCLA
Tim Buckley, UNLV
Kyle Neptune, Villanova
Luke Murray, Louisville
John Jakus, Baylor
Jason Hart, USC
Jordan Mincy, Florida
Chris Caputo, Miami
John Scheyer, Duke
Kellen Sampson, Houston
Chin Coleman, Illinois
Tim Miles, TV Analyst
Thad Matta, TV Analyst
Wyking Jones, No gig

FWIW --- McMahon currently makes $500K at Murray... and he has 2-yrs remaining on current deal

FWIW --- McMahon currently makes $500K at Murray... and he has 2-yrs remaining on current deal
Every ISU fan and donor—as well as Clink, Curtis, and McKee—need to read this simple post and give it some thought. Murray St. pays its coach $500,000. ISU Powers-That-Be: Let that sink in when you call a press conference and talk about the budget and that “you’re not too worried about it.”

Every ISU fan and donor—as well as Clink, Curtis, and McKee—need to read this simple post and give it some thought. Murray St. pays its coach $500,000. ISU Powers-That-Be: Let that sink in when you call a press conference and talk about the budget and that “you’re not too worried about it.”

His old deal... he was ONLY making $300K

Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Ritchie McKay, Liberty
Drew Valentine, Loyola
Brandin Knight, Rutgers
Bob Richey, Furman
Kim English, Tennessee
Michael Lewis, UCLA
Tim Buckley, UNLV
Kyle Neptune, Villanova
Luke Murray, Louisville
John Jakus, Baylor
Jason Hart, USC
Jordan Mincy, Florida
Chris Caputo, Miami
John Scheyer, Duke
Kellen Sampson, Houston
Chin Coleman, Illinois
Tim Miles, TV Analyst
Thad Matta, TV Analyst
Wyking Jones, No gig

Don't see Miles, Matta or Thompson III even texting... Thompson III brother Ronny was NOT enamored of his... "time" spent in Muncee... Terredise isn't Muncee but I suspect they'd discuss Ronny's time at ISU_East Division

Prefer a HC with experience but at the current budget at State -- we're not landing a proven winner, even from a lower mid-major conf

Yeah, I don't know the salaries of any of the guys I listed. I'm sure some make more, some make less. It would just be guys I'd kick the tires on to see if our job is more interesting. Some guys on that list may want to come back home, some may want to give the MVC a go, some may want a historic program (Wooden, Bird, etc.) where they could possibly have their names included in that group. Sometimes it isn't just money that motivates.

Yeah, I don't know the salaries of any of the guys I listed. I'm sure some make more, some make less. It would just be guys I'd kick the tires on to see if our job is more interesting. Some guys on that list may want to come back home, some may want to give the MVC a go, some may want a historic program (Wooden, Bird, etc.) where they could possibly have their names included in that group. Sometimes it isn't just money that motivates.

just started doing queries on some of them; harder with career assistants and I noticed McMahon's salary on a local Murray page

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/c...cle_36088f31-58e3-5e38-9598-0d1ea13b1dc4.html

If we had a better budget overall; I could see a coach w/ 10-12 yrs left in the tank and several mil (~$10M) sitting in his investment accounts, taking a flyer on the Trees
but I don't foresee our budget increasing - period.

Which tell me the job is Kareem's to lose OR we'll give a long-time ass't their first Div 1 gig (Ragland, Valentine, Simpkins) a Buckley, a Lowery... I can see them returning to the MAC, MVC but just not at State

I'd go all-in on Prohm as a rebound hire. Assuming he is going to be getting paid by Iowa State for a few years due to buyout, he might be less irritated by the low salary.

The assistant salary pool might actually be the biggest hindrance there.

I am going to throw a name out. Donnie Jones, he has been with Florida, Wichita State and Dayton as an assistant. He is currently at Stetson with a losing record but with all Freshmen and Soph. Only one upperclassman

Doing some research on David Ragland right now. I'm sure you all are aware of some of these things due to his time at ISU.

Currently an assistant at Utah State, Ragland kind of chuckled in reference to his name surfacing regarding the University of Southern Indiana, IUPUI and Southeast Missouri State head coaching vacancies this spring. He said he’d “rather not comment” about whether or not he was interested in any of those openings.

“Opportunities have come to be a head coach through the years,” said Ragland, who turned 39 on Tuesday. “I’m not bitter. If I don’t get a (D-I) head coaching job, it’s not meant to be.”

Back