Coaching replacement list

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

A name I haven't seen mentioned... Dusty May who is currently HC at Florida Atlantic. He's from Greene County, has had stops at Murry State, Florida, UAB and Louisiana Tech. Still has lots of family in the Wabash Valley.

Hasn't gotten the great record at FA but it's also Florida Atlantic.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Got it. I follow the Middle Tennessee team pretty closely, and I believe Wes Miller finished second for their job last time around and they are likely going to be on the market again. I think his ceiling is higher.

The Winthrop coach I’m less sure about, but I would guess their record will get him some serious attention.
Found that article I was talking about from a couple years back.

If Lansing is indeed gone, another name I'd like to see us pursue is Rashon Burno, Arizona State assistant.

A long shot candidate I'd be interested in is John Jakus at Baylor.

Known recruiters, personal backgrounds, come from coaching trees that have dynamic offensive systems that kids want to play in, etc.

of the two, Jakus over Bruno -- from the Midwest and he's been a HC (3d - 4th tier Euro leagues); prefer his coaching tree (Few, Drew) over Burno's - no fan of Hurley and was never a big fan of Pat Kennedy

if any replacement walks in at Lansing's current salary, ISU job is a significant pay cut for Burno (made ~$390K three years ago)

Know someone who is interested that meets many criteria you guys are looking for. I think he has some connections. I will see if his interest is still hot. I will share if things break here. Go sycamores and let's run the table. Haven't been on lately, hope all is well and keep safe.

Hmm. Interesting. I too want the Sycamores to win every game left on the schedule and somehow get into the NCAA, but at the same time I think we need a change. I can imagine Clink has a few people already lined up for interviews, if only mentally.

Hmm. Interesting. I too want the Sycamores to win every game left on the schedule and somehow get into the NCAA, but at the same time I think we need a change. I can imagine Clink has a few people already lined up for interviews, if only mentally.
Do we assume it is a given that Lansing would want to stay on if offered an extension at the end of the year? I can't imagine it is very fun to have your boss allow your contract to expire, thus limiting your ability to coach and recruit.

Maybe a mutual parting of ways is on the table?

Did Murray ever PLAY basketball? No record of playing at the Div I level...
He did not play in college...only played in high school.

I found an article that states:

"As a freshman in Fairfield (Conn.) University, he took over as coach of a local AAU basketball team. Some college kids were pledging the fraternities, and there Murray was running players through the three-man weave.

Murray grew up in New York City and played high school basketball. But when he realized he wasn’t good enough to play big-time Division I basketball, he set out to make it as a coach."

He did not play in college...only played in high school.

I found an article that states:

"As a freshman in Fairfield (Conn.) University, he took over as coach of a local AAU basketball team. Some college kids were pledging the fraternities, and there Murray was running players through the three-man weave.

Murray grew up in New York City and played high school basketball. But when he realized he wasn’t good enough to play big-time Division I basketball, he set out to make it as a coach."

Soooo....his only experience as a HC was as an AAU "head coach,"

I'd hope that whenever ISU hires a coach, he has SOME collegiate HC experience or any level of professional HC experience

Soooo....his only experience as a HC was as an AAU "head coach,"

I'd hope that whenever ISU hires a coach, he has SOME collegiate HC experience or any level of professional HC experience
In my opinion, if you move on from Lansing, you’re looking for a young up and comer. Which would lead me to believe the targets are P5 assistants with good recruiting backgrounds.

If you want a relatively safe candidate with head coaching experience, that guy is already on campus.

In my opinion, if you move on from Lansing, you’re looking for a young up and comer. Which would lead me to believe the targets are P5 assistants with good recruiting backgrounds.

If you want a relatively safe candidate with head coaching experience, that guy is already on campus.

the game is about more than recruiting... I'd prefer any future new head coach to have some head coaching experience, some experience running a program

some coaches are great at recruiting, some at Xs and Os, etc

I don't want a recruiter running a program, I want a Head Coach running a program

the game is about more than recruiting... I'd prefer any future new head coach to have some head coaching experience, some experience running a program

some coaches are great at recruiting, some at Xs and Os, etc

I don't want a recruiter running a program, I want a Head Coach running a program

You mean the two qualifications that OUR current Head Coach didn't have, when the reigns of power were given to him?

Oh, and I corrected your last sentence "I don't want ANOTHER recruiter running a program, I want a Head Coach running a program".

Last edited:
You mean the two qualifications that OUR current Head Coach didn't have, when the reigns of power were given to him?

Oh, and I corrected your last sentence "I don't want ANOTHER recruiter running a program, I want a Head Coach running a program".

Lansing had more HC coaching experience than some's fav (Luke Murray) and I'd venture that Lansing's multi-year tenure on the ISU bench played a helluva lot more in his hiring than his recruiting experience; but as he did have recruiting experience, didn't he play a direct role in recruiting EVERY player on the 2010-11 roster that he inherited? You'll want to agree at this point.

Back to his Head Coaching Experience at Des Moines Roosevelt, a HS roughly equivalent in size as one of Fort Wayne's public schools. Per his official ISU bio, Roosevelt hadn't had a .500 or better record in a decade, he gets the job and they have consecutive winning seasons and he lands an ass't gig along w/ his star player Nate Green landing a scholie...

Most of the new articles I've read have Kevin McKenna quitting in mid-June, so while it could have been worse (quitting in October) McKenna didn't do the programs a lot of favor - he COULD have quit in March, the traditional job flipping time but no, he chose June.

Did Prettyman have a LOT of options in mid-June 2010 for a new HC? I don't recall too many.

Love him, hate him -- Lansing has the best record (most wins) of any coach in ISU's MVC era - period. Can't be spun in any other way.

His winning pct is 3rd of that same era and neither King nor Hodges could hold onto the job for more than 4 seasons and BOTH had one of the Top Ten Players in the History of the GAME on the roster. Lansing has not had THAT level of talent.

This is quite likely his last season; Clinkscales had better knock it out of the park - something he has NOT done with his other coaching hires.

Keep bitching about Lansing's record; as someone who watched the horrific Greene years, THESE are the salad days.

At this point, Lansing IS a Head Coach

Lansing had more HC coaching experience than some's fav (Luke Murray) and I'd venture that Lansing's multi-year tenure on the ISU bench played a helluva lot more in his hiring than his recruiting experience; but as he did have recruiting experience, didn't he play a direct role in recruiting EVERY player on the 2010-11 roster that he inherited? You'll want to agree at this point.

Back to his Head Coaching Experience at Des Moines Roosevelt, a HS roughly equivalent in size as one of Fort Wayne's public schools. Per his official ISU bio, Roosevelt hadn't had a .500 or better record in a decade, he gets the job and they have consecutive winning seasons and he lands an ass't gig along w/ his star player Nate Green landing a scholie...

Most of the new articles I've read have Kevin McKenna quitting in mid-June, so while it could have been worse (quitting in October) McKenna didn't do the programs a lot of favor - he COULD have quit in March, the traditional job flipping time but no, he chose June.

Did Prettyman have a LOT of options in mid-June 2010 for a new HC? I don't recall too many.

Love him, hate him -- Lansing has the best record (most wins) of any coach in ISU's MVC era - period. Can't be spun in any other way.

His winning pct is 3rd of that same era and neither King nor Hodges could hold onto the job for more than 4 seasons and BOTH had one of the Top Ten Players in the History of the GAME on the roster. Lansing has not had THAT level of talent.

This is quite likely his last season; Clinkscales had better knock it out of the park - something he has NOT done with his other coaching hires.

Keep bitching about Lansing's record; as someone who watched the horrific Greene years, THESE are the salad days.

At this point, Lansing IS a Head Coach
I've got just one meme, for the aforementioned babbling talking-points.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1613689683981.jpg
    FB_IMG_1613689683981.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
Back