Commission calls for academic success to be tied to NCAA Tournament participation

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I don't see why the NCAA should wait for the NBA to do something. The NBA doesn't care if college players go to class. The NCAA should do something now.
Because it was rumored that the NBA and NCAA worked together and put the rule in that forbade kids going straight to the pros. Forcing kids that have no intentions of going to college to go to college, even if it is for a year, is a bad idea in my opinion and is one of the reasons why APRs are jacked up in the first place.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I love how people who get so mad about this are the ones who know the least amount about it. I think it's obvious that this rule needsto change in some way BUT, hurting the schools for recruiting the most talented players. Think about it, recruiting is the cornerstone of college basketball and you want to punish a school because a coach is good at his job. seriously people. It needs to change in some form, either create board saying, "this guy is good enough where he can enter" and "This guy needs college." I think that's a good fit to be honestthen adapt a 2 year rule.

Players going pro do not efect grad rate...
Yes, it does.

NCAA said:
Each Division I sports team receives an APR. An APR of 925 roughly projects to a 60 percent graduation success rate. To calculate the APR, every student-athlete is tracked by eligibility and retention, the two most reliable factors in predicting graduation. Those who do well in the classroom and stay in school earn two points. Those who pass but do not return to school earn one point. If a student-athlete fails academically and leaves school, their team loses two points. If a student-athlete returns to school later and graduates, the school earns one bonus point. The team's APR is calculated by dividing the total points earned in a year by the total points possible.
If a player leaves for the NBA, his school only gets one point of the possible two.

Ah my understanding of the rule was that if they transfer or go pro it didn't effect the APR of a given school. I stand corrected. Also I mean getting the one point is better than what is going on at Alabama State...that school doesn't have any pro players

Another good article on this issue:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...ush-made-postseason-ban-teams-poor-grad-rates

Players' graduation rates are not included, as noted this week by U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan. He wants the NCAA to adopt a rule by which any university that fails to graduate 40 percent of its players (just two of five) would be excluded from the tournament.

This year, such a rule would have excluded Akron, 38 percent; Arizona, 20 percent; Connecticut, 31 percent; Georgia, 36 percent; Michigan, 36 percent; Temple, 33 percent; and Alabama at Birmingham, 25 percent.
http://thedailyreview.com/opinion/i...nd-gpa-are-just-as-important-as-rpi-1.1120809

The APR or graduation rate is really the core of the issue. This is how every state legislature is determining how successful a school is and subsiquently the NCAA is following suit potentially. I am in now way stating that a school should not recruit the best talent, but it is still a school. If a player is that talented and could go to the NBA let them, they have no interest in school anyway. My problem is the NBA in all of this, the influx of way to young talent vs. intelligent basketball players with 3-4 years of college basketball under their belts makes the NBA a far weaker product. To me it is pretty simple...and everyone one this board can disagree with me. But classes and education are the reason that college basketball exists. Without the college, the basketball team ceases to exist. So the NCAA needs to set the standards and make the rules and not worry about anything that the NBA says or wants. It is in the best interest of the students for the NCAA to worry about 95% of the student athletes vs. the less than 5% that will make it to the NBA.
Change the rules to fit the needs of the NCAA and the promotion of the student athlete. Keep the system as it is, it isn't broken. But change the academic situation to fit into line with the common missions of universities and educate the student athletes. Yes, a university should recruit the best talent, but also the university should recruit the best student athlete. Again, without the college...the team doesn't exist. I have no problem with excluding a school that has a poor graduation rate from the tourney. 40% is certainly fair, in my estimation.

Last edited:

There's only a finite number of shollies, so for every NBA dropout that has one, there is a kid somewhere that wants to go to college to get an EDUCATION.

Why doesn't the NBA just set up "farm teams" like major league baseball? Then, players that have no desire to go to class could go straight into the farm system, just like baseball, and those that want to get an education can go to college. Seems to work for baseball...just a thought...:meditate:

Why doesn't the NBA just set up "farm teams" like major league baseball? Then, players that have no desire to go to class could go straight into the farm system, just like baseball, and those that want to get an education can go to college. Seems to work for baseball...just a thought...:meditate:
They have the NBDL. It's actually not half bad, either. I watch it from time to time on TV.

They have the NBDL. It's actually not half bad, either. I watch it from time to time on TV.

I think that the one and dones should voluntarily go the the NBDL. If they decide on the college route, they should fulfill the student-athlete role. Most colleges would, I believe, support this. The Kentuckys of the world, sadly, would not support it. Yes, there would be problems to be worked out; but, the good should outweigh the bad.

I wasn't aware that players could go straight from HS to the NBDL. If they can, it seems that they should develop this more.
I don't believe they can. The NBA instituted that players must been one year removed from high school before they are eligible for the NBA. I was simply stating the the NBDL is in place though, so they could technically use it for that purpose.

I don't believe they can. The NBA instituted that players must been one year removed from high school before they are eligible for the NBA. I was simply stating the the NBDL is in place though, so they could technically use it for that purpose.

Would seem a logical move. Giving even the best HS players a couple of years of quality development could only improve the NBA's product...

Would seem a logical move. Giving even the best HS players a couple of years of quality development could only improve the NBA's product...
Agreed. That's why the NCAA needs to work with the NBA first to get that rule repealed. Once done, then I fully support the minimum grad rates/APR to be eligible for postseason play.

Finally Talking About Stuff We Should Talk About

Keep making suggestions for reforms. Keep throwing out rationalizations while reason sits on the bench. Keep trying to put band aids on the cancer. The Big Buck programs are broken--morally and financially. Money and amateurism are about as compatible as Charlie Sheen and Gandhism.

Gary, I find myself to be a pretty rational man, but that post made absolutely 0 sense lol. Made 0 points so please lay us out your plan to fix college athletics and no you can't say get rid of them.

So who here wouldn't want to see Bron bron playing for say, Ohio State? I would have liked that personally BUT HEY! Just my opinion.

So who here wouldn't want to see Bron bron playing for say, Ohio State? I would have liked that personally BUT HEY! Just my opinion.

exactly. i dont mind this rule. more times than not, the kid is not pickin the school for the education. the kid is pickin the team he wants to play for.

i understand it takes the student out of "student athlete". the nba made that rule because of the outrage of all the high school kids declaring for the draft and not attending college.

since this rule was in place, the teams that have won have been like the teams in the past that won. the teams that won national championships have more seniors and juniors playing key roles than freshman.

Back