Forget adding time, entire programs are now getting cut

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

So you are in favor of allowing the group of five schools to cut programs instead being creative and finding ways to make up the lost dollars?

Absolutely. Volleyball, tennis, track, XC, soccer, are so irrelevant and are a huge waste of money. At the D1 level football and men's basketball (maybe baseball farther south) are the only two sports that move the needle for a school. Also this is something that was going to be temporary, not permanent.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Cincinnati's athletic budget has been in the red for years, even before this. Their students pay over $800 a piece for Athletic Fees (which support the department). They desperately want in the B12 (which doesn't have Men's Soccer). So while they are hurting, this in my opinion has been used as a convenience for them.

There's no doubt that some schools may be under the crunch. But in my opinion. UC has used the national crisis to do an otherwise unpopular cut.

Don
Absolutely. Volleyball, tennis, track, XC, soccer, are so irrelevant and are a huge waste of money. At the D1 level football and men's basketball (maybe baseball farther south) are the only two sports that move the needle for a school. Also this is something that was going to be temporary, not permanent.

With that in mind would you be in favor of cutting baseball, XC, track and keep only the minimum number of women’s programs to keep ISU in compliance with Title 9. Also, don’t kid yourself the cuts at the group of five schools would not have been temporary.

Similar to what Iowa State and Iowa are doing to combat the loss of revenue. The question is what can ISU do save money? What do they do in preparation of this financial hit?

Florida Tech has eliminated its football program. Former Sycamore and current FIT head coach Steve Englehart is now out of a job.

Quite a few former Terre Haute, Sycamore or Indiana connections on his staff, too:

Nothing that we don't already know, but still found it interesting. Cleveland area media making the case that the MAC should drop football down to the FCS level. Gives good reasons why, most of which we have already pointed out.

Click on the radio link and skip ahead to 8:30 mark.

The Mid-American Conference will be eliminating the postseason tournaments for multiple sports and they are making adjustments to men’s and women’s basketball, and Volleyball starting with the 2021 season.

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher confirmed to WTOL that starting in 2021 the conference will be eliminating the postseason tournaments for the following sports:
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Men’s Soccer
  • Women’s Soccer
  • Men’s Tennis
  • Women’s Tennis
  • Women’s Lacrosse
  • Field Hockey
Major adjustments are coming to the men’s and women’s basketball tournament as well. The MAC will be eliminating all first-round home games. The top eight teams from the regular season will advance directly to Cleveland. They will also be eliminating the divisions for men’s and women’s basketball and will be playing 20 conference games instead of 18.

These changes are all part of the ever-changing landscape caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

“The pandemic and resulting financial issues play into that,” said Steinbrecher. “As the financial situation changes, it will give us a chance to re-evaluate.”

Steinbrecher said that these changes will take place at least for the next four years.

The Mid-American Conference will be eliminating the postseason tournaments for multiple sports and they are making adjustments to men’s and women’s basketball, and Volleyball starting with the 2021 season.

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher confirmed to WTOL that starting in 2021 the conference will be eliminating the postseason tournaments for the following sports:
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Men’s Soccer
  • Women’s Soccer
  • Men’s Tennis
  • Women’s Tennis
  • Women’s Lacrosse
  • Field Hockey
Major adjustments are coming to the men’s and women’s basketball tournament as well. The MAC will be eliminating all first-round home games. The top eight teams from the regular season will advance directly to Cleveland. They will also be eliminating the divisions for men’s and women’s basketball and will be playing 20 conference games instead of 18.

These changes are all part of the ever-changing landscape caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

“The pandemic and resulting financial issues play into that,” said Steinbrecher. “As the financial situation changes, it will give us a chance to re-evaluate.”

Steinbrecher said that these changes will take place at least for the next four years.

I'm interested to see if these changes are temporary, or whether they remain in place. There is a shell game going on right now and the pandemic is offering a nice cover to schools that wanted to trim these costs down.

• Baseball
  • Softball
  • Men’s Soccer
  • Women’s Soccer
  • Men’s Tennis
  • Women’s Tennis
  • Women’s Lacrosse
  • Field Hockey

The true champion - the regular season champion should be the automatic representative in the Big Dance anyway. Never have cared for the "hot for a weekend" conference tourney winner getting the bid and in a lot of instances weakening the perception of the strength of whole conference.

I saw a tweet where the MVC is going to have a meeting about doing a MAC approach and getting rid of most of the conference tournaments. Makes sense to me. I'd shutter them all outside of Arch Madness. I'm a huge college baseball fan, but that tournament is a terrible way to determine an AQ. By the time you play the championship game you are basically seeing who's scrub pitchers are better.

For a multi-bid baseball league normally, that is a terrible idea. It will only help the big boys by allowing an on the bubble team to gain several more wins in their five day tournament.

For a multi-bid baseball league normally, that is a terrible idea. It will only help the big boys by allowing an on the bubble team to gain several more wins in their five day tournament.

The only way keeping our baseball tournament makes sense is if we only allow the top 4 teams to make it and play a double elimination with the top seed hosting. That is how the 16 regions work in the NCAA tournament and would be a great way for our conferences' schools to prepare. The current 8 team model where schools in our conference place a bid to host needs to go away in my opinion.

I’m in favor eliminating post season tournaments as well. Unless “Arch Madness” is a large revenue producer for MVC schools that should be discontinued. I am also in favor of travel restrictions, reducing the number of out of state scholarships and cutting costs in that respect rather than eliminating programs. If any of us believe that dropped programs are temporary we are kidding ourselves.

I’m in favor eliminating post season tournaments as well. Unless “Arch Madness” is a large revenue producer for MVC schools that should be discontinued. I am also in favor of travel restrictions, reducing the number of out of state scholarships and cutting costs in that respect rather than eliminating programs. If any of us believe that dropped programs are temporary we are kidding ourselves.

The only issue with ArchMadness or any conference tournament hosted by a conference -- the conference tourney winner is automatically awarded the conference's bid to the NCAA national tournament.

The Valley can drop ArchMadness, it'll then be up to the MVC to determine who gets the auto bid in the case of co-, tri-, quad-champions

Back