Fudōtokuna: $chertz to $LU

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I’m not going to change anyone’s mind. From my perspective, I’ll be forever grateful for what was accomplished this season. It was fun, it was exciting, and it brought attention to a place I love. For those that don’t live in TH, Indiana State doesn’t register in the media markets at all. I live in the Louisville media market, ISU doesnt exist. For a brief moment, we existed. I’m going to thank him and the players for doing that. I’m going to blame the administration for not making it continue. They can help their own legacy in the next couple of weeks.
As someone who lives in the Indy market, you're hitting the nail on the head here.

I was in Champaign, Illinois for work the other week and had some ISU gear on. Had numerous people with no attachment to the MVC or ISU ask about the team, give props for how well they were doing, and how exciting it was to see them doing well.

All I'm saying is does SLU really think they are going to keep him in the A10 for $2 million if he has one really good season...??

He's gonna be off to the P6...
I'm mad at SLU right now as we all are...but also shouldn't we have been asking ourselves that when we were paying him a bottom 1/3 MVC salary?

Also I have some buddies who went to SLU. I don't think they would expect to keep him in the A10 for $2 million if he has one really good season. They either see it as an absolutely worthwhile ROI if they get even one or two successful seasons out of it, or they seem pretty confident that they would bump him up to P6 level pay (which in fairness, top of A10 money is pretty close to P6 level pay). And if you're somewhere like SLU, and you lose your $2 million dollar coach...you just go get another $2 million dollar coach.

I'm mad at SLU right now as we all are...but also shouldn't we have been asking ourselves that when we were paying him a bottom 1/3 MVC salary?

Also I have some buddies who went to SLU. I don't think they would expect to keep him in the A10 for $2 million if he has one really good season. They either see it as an absolutely worthwhile ROI if they get even one or two successful seasons out of it, or they seem pretty confident that they would bump him up to P6 level pay (which in fairness, top of A10 money is pretty close to P6 level pay). And if you're somewhere like SLU, and you lose your $2 million dollar coach...you just go get another $2 million dollar coach.
If they lose him, it’s means they’re winning and they will get a 2 mil buyout too.

The problem is they are one of those fan bases that expect greatness, but don’t have anything to hang their hat on other than sitting on a massive pile of money.

I am 100% convinced SLU’s #1 objective is to get an invite to the Big East. All of the Power Conferences in front of them are adding members, but their criteria is much different-mostly no football, Catholic schools. Seton Hall’s endowment is $308 million. SLU’s is $1.4 BILLION and they are no football, Jesuit university in a somewhat bigger market. They are a perfect candidate to expand the Big East and I am sure they sold J$ on the idea of leading them to a P5 conference where he never has to leave…

Last edited:

Re: Who will Angie Lansing Hire as Indiana State's Next Coac

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 6th, 2024, 9:03 pm
Just read a national board where fans from teams like Oklahoma and on the East Coast are discussing how the Indiana St board has imploded with a 75+ page thread and are reciting the coach's AD being his predecessor's former wife, the whole Deborah Curtis drama with baseball, canning the AD months back, etc.

Their board has really caught the attention of a lot of people.

Just saw this on the mvcfans.com forum
Apparently this site is getting a lot of attention

I was thinking tonight how disappointed I have been with the way $hitz left this program. I haven't seen anything about the hundreds of young kids that idolized these players. They didn't idolize $hitz but they did Larry, Avila, Kent, Conwell, Swope and Jabo. I'm sure none of these guys will be back and the the kids aren't going to understand this. Role models are important to our youngsters and what are they telling them when they move on for the almighty dollar. I'm an old fart but I came from a time when athletes were proud and loyal to their schools. I wish we could go back to those simpler days.

Just read a national board where fans from teams like Oklahoma and on the East Coast are discussing how the Indiana St board has imploded with a 75+ page thread and are reciting the coach's AD being his predecessor's former wife, the whole Deborah Curtis drama with baseball, canning the AD months back, etc.

I just took a look, one person called us the most “rednecky” and worst fans in STL….

I didn’t know rednecky was a word…. That’s definitely a new one!! 😂😂 I think I’ll stay off that site like I did the SLU forum.

I’m very excited to know the eight or so people that still post on that message board have taken notice of us.

Things we predicted we would hear…

- Schertz didn’t get along with Curtis.

- Schertz left because of administrative uncertainty.

- Schertz left because our NIL wasn’t strong enough.

- Schertz left because we initially made him a low ball offer.

- Schertz left because we couldn’t afford a practice facility.

- Schertz left because locker rooms weren’t done/even started.

- Schertz left because Curtis fired Clink. If Clink was here he would have stayed.

- Schertz left because he wasn’t getting input on new President.

- Schertz left because we didn’t offer him enough money.

- Schertz left because Angie Lansing hates him.

Am I missing any?! The real reason Schertz left - he got an offer SLU over a month ago that he didn’t think he could refuse, he never imagined InState would raise enough money to meet his demands, he never imagined fans would sell out all our NIT games, he never imagined Lousville and FAU would also offer him similar or better deals, he didn’t imagine 10 of the top 17 players in the conference (6 being his own) would either gone next year due to portal/graduation, he didn’t anticipate Mullins getting fired from SIU and he didn’t anticipate DeVries heading to West Virginia. We were 16-1 in the Hulman Center with those teams at full strength. He woulda coulda shoulda had a pre-season top 25 team.

Schertz left because he fucked up and found himself in a situation where he committed to a place he no longer really wanted to go. The dude is a complete moron for putting himself in this situation…

The bottom line is this - we could have always handled him leaving, anyone with half a brain could see at some point he was going to leave! It was how he left - leading on donors, this fan base, this community saying a decision hadn’t been made. And it’s the fact that the guy was one season away from being able to go wherever he wanted in the country - just needed one more good season but he ended it for a reset at SLU.

In closing, if he wanted celebrated on his way out the door like he was at LMU then he should have handled the situation differently. In life especially this life - you can go based on what you read on social media or you can go off the word of a man (one on one)! In this case, we had several donors and fans that had one on one conversations with the coach and were lead to believe he was coming back. Not that he was on the fence - he talked as if and used words that lead them to believe with a high degree of confidence he was coming back.

This isn’t on us as a fan base for reacting this way. This is on Josh Schertz and how he decided to let this thing play out.

Things we predicted we would hear…

- Schertz didn’t get along with Curtis.

- Schertz left because of administrative uncertainty.

- Schertz left because our NIL wasn’t strong enough.

- Schertz left because we initially made him a low ball offer.

- Schertz left because we couldn’t afford a practice facility.

- Schertz left because locker rooms weren’t done/even started.

- Schertz left because Curtis fired Clink. If Clink was here he would have stayed.

- Schertz left because he wasn’t getting input on new President.

- Schertz left because we didn’t offer him enough money.

- Schertz left because Angie Lansing hates him.

Am I missing any?! The real reason Schertz left - he got an offer SLU over a month ago that he didn’t think he could refuse, he never imagined InState would raise enough money to meet his demands, he never imagined fans would sell out all our NIT games, he never imagined Lousville and FAU would also offer him similar or better deals, he didn’t imagine 10 of the top 17 players in the conference (6 being his own) would either gone next year due to portal/graduation, he didn’t anticipate Mullins getting fired from SIU and he didn’t anticipate DeVries heading to West Virginia. We were 16-1 in the Hulman Center with those teams at full strength. He woulda coulda shoulda had a pre-season top 25 team.

Schertz left because he fucked up and found himself in a situation where he committed to a place he no longer really wanted to go. The dude is a complete moron for putting himself in this situation…

The bottom line is this - we could have always handled him leaving, anyone with half a brain could see at some point he was going to leave! It was how he left - leading on donors, this fan base, this community saying a decision hadn’t been made. And it’s the fact that the guy was one season away from being able to go wherever he wanted in the country - just needed one more good season but he ended it for a reset at SLU.

In closing, if he wanted celebrated on his way out the door like he was at LMU then he should have handled the situation differently. In life especially this life - you can go based on what you read on social media or you can go off the word of a man (one on one)! In this case, we had several donors and fans that had one on one conversations with the coach and were lead to believe he was coming back. Not that he was on the fence - he talked as if and used words that lead them to believe with a high degree of confidence he was coming back.

This isn’t on us as a fan base for reacting this way. This is on Josh Schertz and how he decided to let this thing play out.
For anyone that questions an upset fan base in this situation, please help me understand if it is ok for the assistant coaches and the players to have left the exit meeting telling people they were blindsided and thought they were “running it back” (JS’s words).
Help me understand why Mussleman immediately released a statement thanking his university and fanbase, but JS still can’t “thank us” with coach speak. Will he ever? His Twitter account is now SLU….kinda awkward to release the statement from there. The statement probably hasn’t come because he is so full of himself that he doesn’t want people to respond to his post with criticism.

He had every right to take a job for more money, but he lied to people that were working tirelessly to raise money and meet his demands to return. The word for Josh Schertz is deceitful.

So we know he muddled around the FB page in hiding a lot, we know he was viewing SP in hiding. Just out of curiosity, what are the chances Michael Schertz was actually Josh?

Everyone loves to watch a train wreck! Unless your in path.

Here's the national board he's talking about. Linked the page where they were talking about us for those that are interested.

For anyone that questions an upset fan base in this situation, please help me understand if it is ok for the assistant coaches and the players to have left the exit meeting telling people they were blindsided and thought they were “running it back” (JS’s words).
Not sure I beleive this. After all the reporting nationwide for weeks he was going to SLU, the team was "blindsided" when he said he was leaving? I mean, if he flat out said to the team in black and white he's not leaving no matter what, then yeah he lied and they can feel blindsided. But knowing the whole time he's leaving why would he risk alienating the entire team--especially since presumably he wants to take some of them with him?

As the hours go by this whole thing is getting less and less relevant and will fizzle out, Angie/Deb will promote Graves or hire someone else, the portal will be busy with incoming and outgoing Sycamores, and that'll be that.

I agree with this to some extent. I bet there were 4-5on the team not blindsided at all

Back