Gregg Marshall under investigation by Wichita State for allegations of misconduct

child

The White Level
I went to the 2015 MVC tournament when WSU was undefeated and Odum was a senior, that was a high point for us and them, great final game. Hope we can at least get back to that level. They probably wish they had stayed in the Valley. Greg walked on water then, what a great team! Absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely.

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
Wichita had Creighton envy. Now they play in a league that is spread all over the place and with a bunch of schools they don't have much in common with. Tulsa is the only school in that conference that they have any relatively recent history with.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
There were a couple tidbits that were released today. Shaq Morris is now going to be speaking to the law firm hired by the school. The kid Marshall ran off that went to Pitt also tweeted out that he and others would be releasing a joint statement soon. I can't recall every seeing something like this with so many moving pieces. Even when Knight choked Neil Reed, it was basically that singular incident event.

Moving aside from Wichita, there is a thread over on Reddit and some former video coordinators conferences were chiming in. They were talking about how they knew when to turn off the cameras to protect the staff. A couple others mentioned most of these facilities have hard cameras in them that are usually running 24/7. Will be interesting to see if there is any video or missing video?

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
There were a couple tidbits that were released today... Even when Knight choked Neil Reed, it was basically that singular incident event.

... Will be interesting to see if there is any video or missing video?
You're joking right? Not to make this thread about that fuck that working in gloomington but MAYBE wichita city is willing to rein in Marshall before it gets worse... knight should have been, COULD have been fired years earlier -- if people think Neil Reed is first player that was EVER assaulted, they're fucking delusional

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
You're joking right? Not to make this thread about that fuck that working in gloomington but MAYBE wichita city is willing to rein in Marshall before it gets worse... knight should have been, COULD have been fired years earlier -- if people think Neil Reed is first player that was EVER assaulted, they're fucking delusional
I'm saying the offense that got him ultimately fired. Of course there was decades of shit prior, but like Marshall, it didn't matter when he was winning.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Marshall has now come out and called Shaq Morris and those corroborating liars. According to the Goodman report, Shaq Morris alleges it and Ty Taylor publicly confirmed it and 4 others did anonymously. So what does that law firm do? Interview everyone at the alleged practice and then rule based on majority account? Marshall may have slipped up thought taking out the ambiguity -- that is what those are ShockerNet were hanging onto.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
What was the language used out of Gloomington 20 years ago??? Coach was merely "repositioning" the player(s)...

re-positioning by grasping them about the trachea was apparently omitted

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
Marshall has now come out and called Shaq Morris and those corroborating liars. According to the Goodman report, Shaq Morris alleges it and Ty Taylor publicly confirmed it and 4 others did anonymously. So what does that law firm do? Interview everyone at the alleged practice and then rule based on majority account? Marshall may have slipped up thought taking out the ambiguity -- that is what those are ShockerNet were hanging onto.

He's setting the scene perfectly. He says he never did it, and then goes on to suggest Goodman has it out for him, his family, and the Shocker faithful as a whole. Whoever his PR person is has this playbook down. First, softly deny and sound saddened by the news. Then, come out guns blazing and seek the public's sympathy in the process. Next, they'll attack Shaq Morris' character by finding the one time he got a misdemeanor for public urination or something equally as dumb, or the one time he cheated on an exam.

To be clear, I have no idea if Shaq Morris ever did either of those things. Those are just examples of the bullshit they'll conjure.

It also about time to bring into question Morris' toughness. He just "couldn't handle it," I'm sure.

region rat

The All-MVC Level
Shaq Morris made the allegation. Goodman then reached out to players that were on the Shockers during that time to either confirm or deny said allegation. Multiple players confirmed it. It would seem to me that at that point, the allegation became fact.

Are you calling Shaq Morris and every player that confirmed Shaq's account to Goodman a liar? What exactly would you require to be made public in order to validate Shaq's story?
According to Shaq he thought Greg stayed with him and made him a better player and person. Shaq was not a player who was well motivated and indifferent to playing. Next why did he bring it up now, some 4 to 5 years later? Goodman and Marshall haven’t had a friendly relationship for a long time. This is some of the backstory that also have supposed to have happened.

Waiting for the facts unlike many on Sycamore Pride who have commented and don’t have any knowledge of the facts. Sounds like the news media indicating these are facts from unknown sources and the person in question did these things, right. Due Process, hang in there and you could be right or wrong.

region rat

The All-MVC Level
Oh, there is 50+ pages over on ShockerNet on this already.
I tried to edit my response but was denied to do so. So I am replying to this email with my edited that said too much time had passed???

According to Shaq he thought Greg stayed with him and made him a better player and person, quotes from Shaq in the past. Shaq was not a player who was well motivated and indifferent to playing and practicing. Next why did he bring it up now, some 4 to 5 years later? Goodman and Marshall haven’t had a friendly relationship for a long time. This is some of the backstory that also that have supposed to have happened. Don’t know if Shaq, Goodman, and every unknown player is lying but Shaq allegedly has been paid $50k for the story allegedly. Who are the “every player?”. They are unnamed. For every one of them there are more backing up a what a great coach and person Marshall is.

Waiting for the facts unlike many on Sycamore Pride who have commented and don’t have any knowledge of the facts. Sounds like the news media indicating these are facts from unknown sources and the person in question did these things, right. Due Process, hang in there and you could be right or wrong.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
Man... It must be great to have all the facts and the rest of the story in the Greg Marshall abuse scandal - what a great story to have so much knowledge about fact or fiction. I can't imagine what it must feel like to carry around such knowledge.

I gotta say - this stuff goes on and doesn't get reported more often than not. You've seen a shift in the frequency of it being reported and the severity of the accusations over the years - reported more often and the allegations are usually not quite as horrible. But re. everyone loves to watch people fall from the mountain (I mean not everyone I find the conversation and the joy completely off putting) - we see it all the time in sports. I couldn't care less about this story - if he did what the player said he did then he should be fired. If not - we live in a world where people now judge real-time and everyone gets to have an opinion. You may or may not like that - if you don't like that then you probably shouldn't visit a message board. Even when you're the person with all the facts... What a story to be right about.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
I tried to edit my response but was denied to do so. So I am replying to this email with my edited that said too much time had passed???

According to Shaq he thought Greg stayed with him and made him a better player and person, quotes from Shaq in the past. Shaq was not a player who was well motivated and indifferent to playing and practicing. Next why did he bring it up now, some 4 to 5 years later? Goodman and Marshall haven’t had a friendly relationship for a long time. This is some of the backstory that also that have supposed to have happened. Don’t know if Shaq, Goodman, and every unknown player is lying but Shaq allegedly has been paid $50k for the story allegedly. Who are the “every player?”. They are unnamed. For every one of them there are more backing up a what a great coach and person Marshall is.

You talk about facts and then drop rumors as your supporting argument -- with regards to him being paid. Interesting path to take.

As for why Shaq stayed, there are multiple psychological, social, and structural tools in place that can explain this easily. Many people in abusive relationships stay for a myriad of reasons. Greg is the one that ultimately would approve/deny Shaq's transfer so he holds immense power over the situation. Lastly, kids that come up in broken families, poor and in bad situations overwhelmingly justify and even downplay the abuse because it is their everyday normal. It's usually not until they're out of the situation, mature or even talk to people/therapists that they realize the treatment.

What is above board right now is Shaq stating it happened, Ty Taylor confirming and 5 other teammates confirming to Goodman anonymously vs Greg stating he has never punched a player. What I find curious is we're over a week into this and not a single player from that team has come out to confirm Greg's side of the story. Some have come to his defense saying he is a good coach but none have explicitly come out to stand with him and deny the event happened. Don't you find that odd?

Last edited:

region rat

The All-MVC Level
All I said was there are allegations on the matter for all who are involved.. Allegations and no facts. You and others on this site have indicated he is “guilty “ of the alleged allegations. What! Have you interviewed Marshall. How about Shaq? Or even Goodman. And whatever you read in a newspaper or message board is always factual, I forgot that, come on! And there are more Wichita players who have shown support for Marshall and so your siting those who allegedly spoken against him have no merit and are unfounded. Again who are these unnamed players and why don’t they give there name? If Shaq was paid $50k for the story? And the other named player also has an axe to grind too. I don’t care what you and others on this site think but again don’t be prejudicial, let the facts evolve good or bad. Again you can be right Sycamore State of “MIND”, or you could be “wrong” and that is a fact and it is my right to have an opinion as you have so candidly stated. But I am waiting for the investigation to end and find out the facts are. Amen!

Attachments

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter
Wichita is such a strange bubble. It’s a relatively large town in the middle of nowhere, so the people that live there make it seem like it’s the center of the universe. To them, it is...by a wide margin. I used to live in KC, so I would travel to Wichita often for ISU games, and I still do business in Wichita regularly now, so I’m familiar with the community.

The reason I bring this up is because Marshall is the KING of this weird bubble. The people simply refer to him as “Coach” and he and his wife pretty much run the town. Marshall may have been a normal, decent guy at one point in his coaching career, but if you spend 10+ years as a God-like figure in that strange bubble it’s probably natural to change. He unfortunately seems to have let this God complex take him over and treats people like absolute shit. Everyone is subservient to the greatness of Greggggggg.

The town and the university have been accepting of that treatment until now because he was winning conference championships, taking teams deep in the tournament and recruiting fan-favorite players. Now, it’s a revolving-door locker room and a conference about as spread out and anonymous as it could be. A conference where they’ve competed, but not thrived like the days of old.

He also has the automatic rollover contract as the 15th highest paid coach in college basketball. If you’re a school with financial troubles, like most are at this point, you’re probably looking to get out from under that contract as quickly as possible.
Substitute Bloomington, Indiana for Wichita, Kansas and Bobby Knight for Marshall? I guess the real question here is, per capita, which one of these towns has had more Serial Killers???

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
I'm not right or wrong about anything because I don't have an opinion on this nor have I visited the Shocker website nor have I read anything other than the original espn release. In other words I don't really care.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
All I said was there are allegations on the matter for all who are involved.. Allegations and no facts. You and others on this site have indicated he is “guilty “ of the alleged allegations. What! Have you interviewed Marshall. How about Shaq? Or even Goodman. And whatever you read in a newspaper or message board is always factual, I forgot that, come on! And there are more Wichita players who have shown support for Marshall and so your siting those who allegedly spoken against him have no merit and are unfounded. Again who are these unnamed players and why don’t they give there name? If Shaq was paid $50k for the story? And the other named player also has an axe to grind too. I don’t care what you and others on this site think but again don’t be prejudicial, let the facts evolve good or bad. Again you can be right Sycamore State of “MIND”, or you could be “wrong” and that is a fact and it is my right to have an opinion as you have so candidly stated. But I am waiting for the investigation to end and find out the facts are. Amen!
I get the vibe you're putting down. Your son told you the skinny. We can put this one to bed, folks.