ISU Basketball Scrimmage

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
For the first time in recent memory, the Indiana State men's basketball team will have an open gym scrimmage open to the public.

More...

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I will not be able to make this because of short notice and my son has a football game. If you do go, please, please, PLEASE spread the word about the site. Let's get this place rocking!

EDIT: I sent out a mass mail to all the members here just so they know about it. It would have been cool if they would have given a bigger notice for the event.

Little notice but I will be there. Hope they got the scoreboard hung?

Little notice but I will be there. Hope they got the scoreboard hung?
If not, that's going to be one interesting scrimmage.

ad7.jpg

Off the wall, around the scoreboard...

Obviously I'd like to see some write-ups from the people that are able to get over there. Who stood out...who surprised...was there a recruit there, if so how did he(they) do. Try not to leave anything out for us out of towners please.

There were approx. 50 fans at the scrimmage. Without a program & uniform numbers it took awhile to identify all of the new players but think I pretty well figured it out after awhile; still a couple I am not sure who was? The recruit from Brownsburg, Julian Mavunga, was rather easy to identify as he definitely is a big guy. He was on the floor most of the time & I think got worn down some after the first hour & was slower getting back. It was a player's scrimmage so it was rather loose at times getting up & down the floor. Lots of hustle by a lot of different players was evident & there was actually some defense being played. Seemed like nobody wanted anybody to drive the lane uncontested. Gabe could do it & finish but the rest of them had problems driving it home. Too early and too brief of a look to make any real observations at this time.

They do it all the time...coaches weren't there of course. The players can go back to the coaches and tell them how they felt the guy did. It's not a no-no...it gives the prospect a chance to see how he'd fit in. See if he likes the players he'd be playing w/ the next year (or 2 or 3...)

Fans get chance to see ISU men?s basketball team, prized recruit

The Indiana State men?s basketball players enjoyed a rare chance to play some September basketball in front of their fans, even if many of the fans didn?t have time to get to Hulman Center on short notice Saturday afternoon.

More...

I was very inpressed with Jay's leadership and vocalness during the entire workout. I think that much like in an open gym, no one was hesitating on their shots. Everybody was hitting early and then it faded as we went along. Everyone was crashing the boards early and often. Here is what I think about each player from what I could see today.

Gabe looked like the same player but more will to shoot and not hesitate.

Mick looked good with the set shot and was able to finish a couple of post moves thoughout his time.

Todd McCoy looked very good early then faded as time went along. He really made some nice outside shots early.

Jay looked stronger and healthier than ever. Still seeded to struggle getting up and down the floor at times, but never seemed winded. I look for a really good season from Jay

Adam Arnold looked like he normally does making all the hustle plays and getting rebounds. He was more aggressive at the offensive end, and did not hesitate at all to shoot form the outside.

Cole Holmstrom seeded to work the ball alot and did not look to shoot much but probably made at least half his shots.

Harry Marshall looked very good all around still a little akward with this jump shot and free throws but lots of defense and his ability to finish around the basket is awesome. He also had a great breakaway dunk.

Marico Stinson looked off. He could never get into the flow. He did finally make some shots late. He did not appear to have bulked up any at all which is a little concerning.

Brant Leitnaker did not play although he did shoot many jumpshots in down time and d looked pretty good.

Isiah Martin looked pretty good on the defensive end and his length is going to give some people fits. He is aggressive and likes to finish with a dunk.

Jordan Printy is a shooter. He has unlimited range, but is going to have to get physically stronger and better defensively.

Lamar Lee was suprising to me. He really gets his shot off quicky and is a scoring point guard. He is really going to help our pg rotation, and does need to tighten up his ball handling.

Aaron Carter was the most impressive of the four newcomers. He played like he belonged from the second he stepped ont he floor. He made shots from many different places on the floor. He was also able to defend just about anyone except for Mick and Jay. He also has enough of a vertical leap to stand under the basket and jump up and dunk it in without a running start.

Jeffers and Barlow were at the scrimmage but did not participate.

The potentail recriut to me looked very good. He was the only one that did not rotate out during the 90 minute workout. By the end he was very slow getting up and down the floor. Early on Jay and Mick were taking turns posting him up and I thought his defense early was impressive. He mixed it up on the boards and got a couple of offensive rebounds. he is working on his outside shot but it is not effective at all right now. I think he would be a great get the for Sycamores heading into next year.

Good article from the tribstar...it's about what I would have guessed in terms of Mavunga being winded late. These guys have really been going at it in terms of conditioning so they're going to have an edge on Julian. Conditioning/endurance is something that can be addressed when he gets here. Sounds like he fared well though...

Back