[January 11, 2021] Indiana State (4-6) vs. Loyola (7-3)

Bluethunder

Hugh McAwesome
Supporter
We just can’t seem to get over the hump. Our offense has been poor all game long. On one hand it hasn’t led to poor effort on defense but we are expending way too much energy on defense and it is showing on the offensive end

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
We played our hearts out tonight. That was clear. We just couldn’t get the shots to fall.

The defensive intensity is exactly where it needs to be the rest of the year. We also need to hit our free throws with tired legs.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
We played our hearts out tonight. That was clear. We just couldn’t get the shots to fall.

The defensive intensity is exactly where it needs to be the rest of the year. We also need to hit our free throws with tired legs.
I think we played our asses of in spurts.

I think trying to run the ball through the post absolutely failed us tonight. It completely fucked the floor spacing with Tre getting pushed away from the rim every time. Had the refs been calling the post tighter, I could understand it, but not how it has been whistled. Failure to adjust torpedoed the offense in the 2nd half.

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
I think we played our asses of in spurts.

I think trying to run the ball through the post absolutely failed us tonight. It completely fucked the floor spacing with Tre getting pushed away from the rim every time. Had the refs been calling the post tighter, I could understand it, but not how it has been whistled. Failure to adjust torpedoed the offense in the 2nd half.
Yeah I saw that too. Loyola is a team where it seems to make sense to play small and run. We run very traditional offenses and their defense is used to practicing against it.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
What is also very interesting is it seems like every good Valley team runs a high post offense through their big and we're one that runs off the philosophy of a deep post feed. Rather than running Jake at PG, why not put him on a high elbow and put in some of these sets that seem to work well for Drake, Missouri State, Loyola and get their shooters open looks?

skdent1414

The Varsity Level
Supporter
Laravia needs to keep the defense honest out there by shooting the fucking ball. Laravia and Larry need not be on the floor at the same time. We are just too easy to guard with that lineup. Larry falls into the second unit and insert Miller or Howard. They will at least keep the defense honest opening up more opportunities for Tre.

hans1950

The Starter Level
Supporter
Our offense is offensive at best. I've never seen a star player work as hard not to take shots a Key. We never run him off screens either or at least try to post him up once in a while. It's not like anyone else is a real threat to score regularly.

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
We’d almost be better off playing Marty ball, and putting Key in the DJ Ballentine roll.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Had to know it was gonna be difficult to do it two days in a row. We won yesterday because Key was on fire. Not realistic to expect that every game.
why not? there are plenty of players who carry their team for several games; covid will ensure this season is going to be really screwy but the players and staff can still show up, prepared to play hard, coach hard every game

bent20

The Odum Level
why not? there are plenty of players who carry their team for several games; covid will ensure this season is going to be really screwy but the players and staff can still show up, prepared to play hard, coach hard every game
Because he's a very good player but expecting a senior to suddenly score 30 plus every night and make 23 out of 31 total shots routine (when he has never done it before) is never going to happen. I have to imagine he was pretty exhausted after playing possibly the best game of his collegiate career yesterday.

GoSycamores

The All-MVC Level

Indiana State and Loyola Chicago locked in a physical battle in the second game of the rescheduled Missouri Valley Conference showdown Monday, Jan. 11, with the Ramblers ultimately topping the Sycamores 58-48 in Hulman Center.

More...

HOOPSFAN

The Varsity Level
It just never ceases to amaze me how quiet this board gets when we play well. Tough 1st half yesterday and fans were on here out of the woodwork calling us a D2 program needing implosion. Now we're seeing the best start to a game all season....crickets....
History with Lansing - INCONSISTENCY! ...... fans are used to it now so no need to comment. By the way ...... Porter had a good game plan after seeing the Sycamores dismantle his team yesterday. Keys scoring 7 vs 31, rarely seeing the free throw line and their play against the press 100% improvement. Lansing game#2 game plan ....... missed it, where was it?