[January 7, 2020] Indiana State (8-5) at Northern Iowa (12-2)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Never once did I "blame" Tre Williams for the loss. I wouldn't do that. You can't blame a loss on one player. You are also being critical of him saying he didn't have a good game, so we are saying the same thing. He played badly last night, especially for what I've now come to expect from him. Whether that's fair of me to be critical or have high expectations of a Freshman, I suppose that can be debated.

Okay... You went in on him pretty good. That was all I was saying. Moving on now - we've nothing more to debate on this topic. lol

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
For those that have been to practices and what not, can LaRavia shoot outside of 8 feet? Seems like he is leaving a lot of good looks on the table. He just seems like he could have a lot of success as a stretch four.

(By no means am I saying he is a problem. He has already exceeded expectations, just would like him to take a few of those open jumpers.)

I watched him shoot for 30 minutes one day and I'd say he's still got a little work to do. He's got range and he doesn't have a terrible shot but I'm not sure how much confidence he has or how much of a green light he's been given. I can't really speak to that either! But I'm not screaming at the TV for him to shoot either. I'm sure we will see him start to take a few more of those open looks moving forward - Lansing needs to give him the green light especially if Cooper isn't going to get up any shots.

This doesnt make any sense. You dont look at them after the fact and say he couldnt even win one. You pick out all the close losses and say he couldnt win them. Of course not they are over. He won in overtime vs Wright State and a close one with Tennessee St. Why did you leave those out?

no need to ask; those were omitted because they weaken his argument -- it's just another example of trying to teach math to a pig... pointless

Trees are 50-39 in "close" games (5-pt margin or less) since the 2010-11 season

...These are just a handful of plays that didn't go our way... 2 games under 4 minutes and we're talking about 2 layups and 4 free-throws combined!!!! Bad bounce? Unlucky? Un-clutch? Bad play design? Wrong player? I'm not sure but at some point these guys are going to have to make winning plays and if they don't then you're going to lose a lot of close games...

sounds similar to the N.O Saints... lose 3 playoff games on 3 "end of game" plays, I haven't heard the majority of Saints fans screaming for Payton or Brees' head(s)

crazy sh*t happens in sports

It's 8+ hours from Tip-Off and I have to wonder...

Can we beat UNI on the road?!?!? NEGATIVE
Will AJ Green go off on us for 30+ points? NEGATIVE
Will AJ Green go off on us for 20+ points? NEGATIVE
Can we contain AJ Green? KINDA but it didn't matter
Will UNI be able to contain our freshmen duo of LaRavia and Williams? Contain is the wrong word here. Yes and no. But definitely sometimes yes.
Why do so many people (Todd Golden included, sorry Todd) have so much trouble with pronouncing LaRavia's name? The announcers got it right.
When was the last time that ISU started TWO freshman on a consistent basis, prior to this year? Not gonna do the research on this one.
Has it happened in Lansing's tenure? I highly doubt it.
Will Cooper score in double digits? NEGATIVE
Will the Sycamores score more than 65 points amidst UNI's slow-down game? NEGATIVE
Will we hold UNI to "less than" that arbitrary magic number of 63? NEGATIVE
Assuming the students are back in session, will the McLeod Center student section be rockin'? NEGATIVE
Will we have another winning streak of eight games this year? All signs point to no.
How about another of five games this year? Maybe?
Three games? YES!
Who will play more minutes, Cobie, Bacote, or Kessinger? BRONSON 12 minutes, COBIE 11. BACOTE fewer than both.
Has the panther EVER been indigenous to the region of northern Iowa? Not gonna do the research on this one.

Onto the next one! Glad it's a home game.

sounds similar to the N.O Saints... lose 3 playoff games on 3 "end of game" plays, I haven't heard the majority of Saints fans screaming for Payton or Brees' head(s)

crazy sh*t happens in sports

I'm not calling for anyone "head" so I'd rather not be associated with anything that suggests anything close to that. Nor do I know or really care what the Saints fans are saying about anything. I don't watch or pay any attention to teams that are not my own so that scenario doesn't even resonate with me. I understand what you're getting at though.

This is a forum where we discuss the games and the outcomes. Given that - it's fair and quite obvious to say that these last two games we haven't made very many winning plays in the last 4ish minutes of the game and that can be chalked up to a # of different things but it doesn't do any good to ignore it. Lansing is going to have to find a late game solution because this won't be the last close game.

Okay... You went in on him pretty good. That was all I was saying. Moving on now - we've nothing more to debate on this topic. lol

All good. And you're right...I was pretty hard on him last night. I was emotional and pissed off after watching a game I thought we should have won. We played so well in certain areas that were unexpected (i.e. Christian Williams defending AJ Green) and played so poorly in areas we've come to expect to be good.

Time to move on to Illinois State. A team we should CRUSH at home this weekend.

Needs to bend his knees. Stands up straight like Artis Gilmore (not that he's ever heard of him).

Boy I wish Jake could grow out that hair. One of my favorite Bulls as a youngster. He was my first basketball card, too.

5168eVcQrFL._SY445_.jpg

I'm not calling for anyone "head" so I'd rather not be associated with anything that suggests anything close to that. Nor do I know or really care what the Saints fans are saying about anything. I don't watch or pay any attention to teams that are not my own so that scenario doesn't even resonate with me. I understand what you're getting at though.

This is a forum where we discuss the games and the outcomes. Given that - it's fair and quite obvious to say that these last two games we haven't made very many winning plays in the last 4ish minutes of the game and that can be chalked up to a # of different things but it doesn't do any good to ignore it. Lansing is going to have to find a late game solution because this won't be the last close game.

Completely realize YOU aren't calling for anyone's head, limbs, heart or soul

I'll watch more NFL than NBA or NHL or even MLB... though NY is doing everything then can to turn it into a 11x11 flag/2-handed touch league...

Given that the Trees are 50-39 (.562) since 2010-11, do you think they should be 89-0 in 5-pt margin games or merely 67-22 (.750)?

Completely realize YOU aren't calling for anyone's head, limbs, heart or soul

I'll watch more NFL than NBA or NHL or even MLB... though NY is doing everything then can to turn it into a 11x11 flag/2-handed touch league...

Given that the Trees are 50-39 (.562) since 2010-11, do you think they should be 89-0 in 5-pt margin games or merely 67-22 (.750)?

Naaa I mean that was actually a good stat you pulled - it's constant with what I've come to expect and in many cases accept with Lansing teams. Just above mediocre most of the time.

Problem is - just above mediocre most of the time isn't going to win us many close games on the road. I think I really just want JB to hit a big shot for a change. As much freedom as Lansing has allowed him to have in his career he owes us a big shot or two before it's over. This is his best chance to win far and away - with each passing game I'm growing more and more impatient and the stats just don't resonate with me as much.

Clinkscales scheduled a D2 team for football a year after it cost us making the playoffs, and some of you have confidence he will make the right decision? We also have a plan to add seats to the other side of Memorial Stadium just to get rid of some of the existing seats. I have extremely low confidence this university will ever do anything right.

Lansing is here to stay until the end of his contract. Once his contract is up then the jury will be out. If he got fired after this year we lose players and existing recruits. We also have to pay two coaches and go into a total rebuild with a new coach that could potentially fail and make our program way worse.

This season also isn't over. We lost by single digits on the road to two really good teams. I don't think the wheels have fallen off.

Clinkscales scheduled a D2 team for football a year after it cost us making the playoffs, and some of you have confidence he will make the right decision? We also have a plan to add seats to the other side of Memorial Stadium just to get rid of some of the existing seats. I have extremely low confidence this university will ever do anything right.

Lansing is here to stay until the end of his contract. Once his contract is up then the jury will be out. If he got fired after this year we lose players and existing recruits. We also have to pay two coaches and go into a total rebuild with a new coach that could potentially fail and make our program way worse.

This season also isn't over. We lost by single digits on the road to two really good teams. I don't think the wheels have fallen off.

In all actuality - the same two or three individuals that thought the wheels were already off are the only people to continue to express that level of dissatisfaction.

Let me tell you how it works. We win - they’re happy, sad and silent. We lose - they’re mad, happy and vocal. It’s been going in for quite awhile.

Last night was a mild response - you can be really upset about your team losing without really thinking that someone losing a job is the answer. A couple single digit road losses to contending teams after an 8 game win streak - no reasonable person is on here calling for such drastic actions. But hey - it’s sports and some people think that’s the answer and solution anytime they’re team isn’t performing...

And honestly if you were a fan in the minority trying to campaign for change - then coming on here and throwing a temper tantrum every time we lose is probably not the way. We’ve had several upset fans engaged in normal conversation about some thinge that could be done differently. I’d suggest participating in that banter in a constructive way if you hope to gain any traction with anyone. Cause the majority of people on here wanted a 1-1 road split on the small scale on the large scale are not real thrilled with the last 4 seasons or so.

Last edited:
Let me tell you how it works. We win - they’re happy, sad and silent. We lose - they’re mad, happy and vocal. It’s been going in for quite awhile.

So you're saying Indiana State sports fans, are different than every other HS, College or Professional Sports team fans. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the insight.

What "new seating plan"? Granted the last time I was in Memorial... 2017, IIRC -- I was shocked at how bad it looked, not the field but the stands, the concessions, the restrooms -- I've seen much better at the HS level

Agreed --- we don't have the $$ to pay two coaches; I've yet to hear of any deep-pockets committing to THAT kind of donation -- that is not who we are; isn't louisville paying 2 MBB coaches, 2-3 football coaches AND all of the accompanying legal bills?

The new seating plan was in the master plan that showed ISU's goals for a basketball practice facility, new football stadium, and softball field.

One plan is to build a new stadium, but also in the plan is an idea to renovate Memorial Stadium instead. The idea involves putting seats (maybe 5000) on the north side with a press box. On the southside they want to leave the remaining seats but remove the top 20 rows. I think they were also going to get rid of the seats inside the 10 yard line (or maybe goal line) on both sides. In the end it would seat roughly the same amount of people only we would have spent a ton of money on it. Just put seats on the other side, do some renovations, and quit over thinking it.

One last comment on the UNI game:

Lansing post game "They execute at a high level and take advantage of mismatches. All the credit to UNI, how well they play together and how tough physically they are."

When will these same things ever be said about any of your teams past or present? Have been waiting for years; too many to get it right.

One last comment on the UNI game:

Lansing post game "They execute at a high level and take advantage of mismatches. All the credit to UNI, how well they play together and how tough physically they are."

When will these same things ever be said about any of your teams past or present? Have been waiting for years; too many to get it right.

I would say we did this vs. a beat up Southern IL team - not sure if they got healthy or got together after our L but they've played well since they left the HC. Beyond that game - I can't recall one where we executed at a high level and took advantages of mismatches. But it wasn't all that long ago - it was one of the more complete / team oriented efforts I've seen in a long long time. You forget too quickly. Ha

Last edited:
Back