Mark Adams on the changed landscape in college hoops

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The last thing the "big boys" want is a level playing field...
You’re right. Any legislation that tries to level the playing field will be the last moment that the power conferences mingle with the little guys. Separation could happen sooner than that, if we’re being honest.

Need to hear some bold predictions & solutions…

i think that a salary cap won’t work because people will just be passing around secret bags of money like they’ve always been doing.

sooner or later some boosters will get bored with throwing away their money at players and teams just for funsies. I’m sure booster fatigue is already thing that you can learn about if you ask the right people.

Boldest prediction? NIL will become its most deplorable form when these LLCs grow to be strictly investors who are only concerned with their rate of returns. I’m sure that’s already happening. How ugly it gets is still to be seen.

(Investing in players based on their potential future earnings has already been a thing and can be an ugly business too.)

Not sure that it’s a “solution” but a federal bill would be the most logical path. State legislation will encourage competition between states. Which would encourage states to do what’s the most lucrative for themselves. Probably require a BS credentialing process for boosters to go through. Require certain level of training/education for athletes and boosters. Determine what athletes and boosters can legally require of each other.

*require boosters to sign a paper that says that are not paying for any kind of performance of any kind in regards to personal stats or team wins. (Cant actually take away the fact that boosters are likely expecting this exact thing.) It just makes sure that boosters can’t sue for that sort of thing. I don’t think I can stress enough how much expectations matter in regards to what boosters and athletes are obligated to do for each other.

Last edited:
When I heard the Hulman George’s were putting up 2 mil for a scoreboard I wondered out loud how it might be ok to have a cheaper scoreboard and put that money toward NIL deals. I don’t live in Haute…are there any businesses/entities that are wanting to pay ISU athletes NIL money? Is it being discussed? Gotta keep up with the MVC peer institutions:

When I heard the Hulman George’s were putting up 2 mil for a scoreboard I wondered out loud how it might be ok to have a cheaper scoreboard and put that money toward NIL deals. I don’t live in Haute…are there any businesses/entities that are wanting to pay ISU athletes NIL money? Is it being discussed? Gotta keep up with the MVC peer institutions:

Yes. There is an initiative underway from what I understand.

You're expecting these kids to manage the money well.

So after they buy themselves a nice ride, work on their wardrobe, collect an army of tattoos and then blow it on other frivolous shit that 18-20 years spend on, suddenly they are in trouble. I also believe once you have a decent income, they will then also have to pay tax on their full cost of attendance items -- room and board, etc.

I don't see this going well unless the schools are now adding a personal finances adviser to their staff.

You believe the schools will need to add a personal finance advisor b/c the kids' "current personal financial advisors" cant be trusted?

Isn't there an alumnus who can just offer Tyreke $100K and call it a day?

sure... until an Ole' Miss alum offers him $150... or a Tenn alum offers $200K

I may just become a fan of DePauw or Marian or Ind. Wesleyan

It’s hard for me to get too worked up about this. The playing field was already never even, so I don’t see this as some kind of paradigm shift of no return. It’s just a different system to get us to the same point where which we always were.

There are 1,200 players in the transfer portal. Some will be chasing NIL money and some will be chasing playing time and an opportunity for a good education. We’re going to have to find the players in the middle to the other end of that spectrum.

I just can’t get worked up over things I cannot control. Let the arms race begin with the P5. We’ll be here to pick our spots, as we always have.

I wish the P5 would just go away and that schools like ours would hold the door open for them as they walk out and do their own thing. The sooner they go form their own division, the better.

If ISU / the MVC ever turns into some kind of minor league BS, where we are actually straight up paying players, then I will quit watching altogether.

To be fair my interest in the NCAA Tournament has never been lower than it was this year. I just followed Murray State until they lost and then I was done with it. My interest is 100X higher in the MVC Regular season and conference tournament. I don't care at all about the rest of the NCAA (besides EIU and the OVC).

just spit balling a scenario here.

So I’m a donor and regularly give a program 100k or more a year. Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to give a certain recruit that 100k instead of the school?

Now what if that recruit I just paid 100k for gets benched/doesn’t play as much as originally thought?

That’s going to piss me off and I’m sure I’ll talk to the president, AD, other donors and ultimately the coach.

Now I have large pockets and influence so I’ll put pressure on the coach to play 100kjimmy and this ends in 1 of 3 ways.
1. Coach gives into pressure and plays jimmy (whether or not it’s good for the team)
2. Coach doesn’t give in and I no longer donate to university or players.
3 coach doesn’t give in and gets shit canned

This NIL has to end in a disaster if it’s not reeled in

Back