Virtual ribbon cutting marks official end of Hulman Center renovation

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I agree it's good to have those seats back. I too wish they were attached to the upper level which would make it much easier for fans to get down there. I'm sure this was the least expensive way to do it. Oh well, I'm glad we got what we did.

Many things I see here look much nicer -- the blue seating, the new glass entry way, the return of the "bowl" type seating on the ends, even the floor look nice although I too liked the old insignia better.
Many questions unanswered though ????
New lighting ?
New PA system ?
New scoreboard ?
Any new graphics to be added inside, on the concourses, out in the outside corridors where concessions/restrooms etc located.
So while this looks very nice I'm not seeing any pizzazz ....nothing popping out at fans as they enter etc. Looks clean and nicely updated but just as sterile as its looked since it first opened. Hope we'll see some major graphics (like what they did at Memorial Stadium), trophys, pictures etc.
Was there an actual ceremony today ?
Was Tony George there representing the Hulmans -- if so he should have been writing a big check for millions to have the Hulman name continue on the building ---- use that money to make it look like that home of the Sycamores.
They got the deal of the century having their name attached all this years without pumping more cash into the building.

Can't speak to all of that but as far as lighting and PA.. that is all brand new. Pretty sure the scoreboard is there to stay.

Actually the new lighting was put in last year, but ISU didn't have anybody on the payroll who knew how to run all of the special effects that you and others want to see.. They hopefully have someone in place this year that can use the system to it's full ability because they should be able to create close to an NBA level pregame lighting experience for lineups and such if they put the effort into it. The lighting packet they purchased was top notch. Good point on the building naming that myself and others have mentioned on here for quite some time..Just from a business standpoint this seemed like a slam dunk opportunity to get a little coin from someone.

I agree it's good to have those seats back. I too wish they were attached to the upper level which would make it much easier for fans to get down there. I'm sure this was the least expensive way to do it. Oh well, I'm glad we got what we did.
I'd bet it has more to do with the logistics and square footage needs for other events like graduation.

Might be, I just know the original ones went all the way up. Maybe they'll put some kind of curtains back there that hide the storage area. Would be a good place for advertising too.

Do yourself a favor and check out the HC at night. They have Indiana State lights flashing on the front of the building. It looks really cool - a nice added touch. It's not like the old projector BS lights and images they use to put on the building. I'm talking some very neat LED changing color lights now...

Has anyone seen a picture of the outside. The video from the university did not include that, but had pictures in the bathrooms!

Just saw that Hulman Center will not be used in any way for the NCAA tournament in Indianapolis. Games will basically be played at all other possible venues except for in Terre Haute. Not that I really care all that much, but it would have been nice to have showed off our newly-renovated arena.

Ball State is not on the list either, but they are the backup should anything happen at Purdue, IU, Butler, etc. We couldn't even get backup status...

Just saw that Hulman Center will not be used in any way for the NCAA tournament in Indianapolis. Games will basically be played at all other possible venues except for in Terre Haute. Not that I really care all that much, but it would have been nice to have showed off our newly-renovated arena.

Ball State is not on the list either, but they are the backup should anything happen at Purdue, IU, Butler, etc. We couldn't even get backup status...

Hulman is ~77 miles from NCAA HQ in Indianapolis
Worthless Arena in Muncee is ~67 miles
west laffy, gloomington are 64 and 51 miles respectively
Bankers Life and Lucas Oil are both 1.5 - 2.0 miles
Hinkle and the State Fairgrounds (aka Pepsi, Indiana Farmers, etc, etc, etc) are both 6 miles

not going to lose sleep over this issue; it's purely a logistical decision

want to blame anyone?
blame the officials from ISNS, Terre Haute and the state of Indiana for not relocating ISNS to Indianapolis after the original "campus" burned in 1888

ISNS relocates then, we'd be a 2021 ncaa mbb tourney locale today

Last edited:

Haven't seen a photo posted anywhere but driving down Wabash a few nights ago I noticed the new lettering on the new entrance. To say it looks AMAZING is a understatement! Will try to get a pic soon and post it!

Does anyone know the attendance plans for fans for the 2021 NCAA MBB tourney? If strictly or moderatly limited, why leave Indianapolis when there are many suitable HS gymnasia within I465 or just outside of I465? Probably seat 4,000 plus and that would help to create a more suitable, exciting game atmosphere than playing in a nearly empty cavernous building.

Does anyone know the attendance plans for fans for the 2021 NCAA MBB tourney? If strictly or moderatly limited, why leave Indianapolis when there are many suitable HS gymnasia within I465 or just outside of I465? Probably seat 4,000 plus and that would help to create a more suitable, exciting game atmosphere than playing in a nearly empty cavernous building.

because HS courts are 84 feet by 50 feet while the NBA and NCAA play on courts that are 94 feet by 50 feet

the ncaa said that they've yet to determine attendance for the general public

I just did a quick review of photos of various MIC gyms and others and find that many have portable bleachers on the ends and plenty of room to lengthen the playing floor by 5' at each end. Several have the floor mounted rims/backboards that would only require pushing back. Others that are mounted overhead might be a bit trickier. Of course, it would require the NCAA to repaint/finish the playing surface to the longer dimensions; however, I expect that cost is minimal, would bring greater 'bubble control', and would probably be welcomed by the chosen High Schools as something that will raise the profile of the school.

I doubt the NCAA will be approving attendance over 1500 for games in any arena so these 6,000 seat HS gyms are just about perfect for social distancing.

So easy and logical, it will never happen.

ever thought about Ethernet, WiFi, camera angles, broadcasters, hospitality, media booths, shot clocks, food, etc. etc. etc. not as easy as painting some new lines and moving the hoops back. Who would even be in charge of the facility? The principle? AD? Superintendent? Forgive me but I’d rather watch/play/go to a tournament ran by people that know what is going on in a facility that can accommodate such events. I would of loved to have some games in hulman but you can’t possibly think playing the entire NCAA tournament in area high school gyms would ever work.

I just did a quick review of photos of various MIC gyms and others and find that many have portable bleachers on the ends and plenty of room to lengthen the playing floor by 5' at each end. Several have the floor mounted rims/backboards that would only require pushing back. Others that are mounted overhead might be a bit trickier. Of course, it would require the NCAA to repaint/finish the playing surface to the longer dimensions; however, I expect that cost is minimal, would bring greater 'bubble control', and would probably be welcomed by the chosen High Schools as something that will raise the profile of the school.

I doubt the NCAA will be approving attendance over 1500 for games in any arena so these 6,000 seat HS gyms are just about perfect for social distancing.

on an annual basis the ncaa makes the march madness broadcasts more sterile; all of the floors are identical (lane color, lack of unique center court art) -- there's zero chance the ncaa is going to "raise the profile" of any hs and even LESS chance the ncaa will stage their marque event in a hs

Last edited:
My own Opinion: I think the President of the University had something to do with ISU not getting noticed for the NCAA tournaments. The University should think of all the money that would have been brought into this community and the recognition ISU would had received. One of the Best Basketball players to have played the game: Larry Bird. We could have sold pictures of his statue with an spectator. I seen the the newspaper ISU's enrollment was down. Go Figure: Go Sycamores!

Back