What’s better for Lansing?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

treeman

The Menser Level
So it seems majority of people are in agreement that Lansings track record in The Lou the last handful of seasons has been terrible. And many think his performance this year will determine his job going forward whether it’s fair or not. So my question is what is better for Greg Lansing; lose a heartbreaker/competitive game in the 4/5 matchup to go 0-1 in St. Louis. Or win the first game and get the doors blown off by 15+ in the second game to go 1-1.

Just trying to spark some conversation about a very likely possibility. Personally I think Lansing should be retained regardless at this point, but I almost think it would leave a better taste in people’s mouths if our final game in STL is a close one (hopefully it’s a win of course).

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
If we get our doors blown off by anyone other than LUC, DU, or MSU that will be bad news. We really need to win on the first day. Teams 5-10 seem to be a step behind us so it's a bad look to lose to them. Even if we lost in a blowout on Saturday it would still be a step forward in my view.

Right now it looks like this:

#7 Bradley vs #10 Illinois State
#8 UNI vs #9 SIU

#7/#10 winner vs #2 Drake
#3 Missouri State vs #6 Valpo

#8/#9 winner vs #1 Loyola
#4 Indiana State vs #5 Evansville

Here are the games left with current seeding:

2/18
#10 Illinois State at #7 Bradley

2/21
#5 Evansville at #2 Drake
#6 Valpo
at #9 SIU

2/22
#5 Evansville at #2 Drake
#6 Valpo at #9 SIU

2/26
#3 Missouri State at #5 Evansville
#2 Drake at #7 Bradley
#4 Indiana State at #6 Valpo
#9 SIU at #1 Loyola
#8 UNI at #10 Illinois State

2/27
#3 Missouri State at #5 Evansville
#2 Drake at #7 Bradley
#4 Indiana State at #6 Valpo
#9 SIU at #1 Loyola
#8 UNI at #10 Illinois State

All teams outside of Loyola/Drake are probably interested in getting the best future matchup against one of those two.

Spots 5-10 all have 3-6 conference wins so there can be some jockeying for position there. The key matchup really is our series vs Valpo and Missouri State's series vs Evansville. Missouri State was blown out by Loyola but played Drake twice close so they have incentive to win both games and get in Drake's side of the bracket. Valpo can finish in 5th if they win 3 of their next 4 and sweep Evansville. They played both Loyola/Drake close in one game and were blown out in one game so not sure they care which side of the bracket they play in.

Honestly, if I'm Lansing, I want to win out and then probably play Drake. It is unknown if Hemphill will be back (had surgery on his foot on the 12th and best case is he is back in 4 weeks) and that win would mean the most to him personally I think. I also think Williamson of Loyola has become DPOY in the 2nd half of the season so if we have to face Loyola, I would like it to be for the whole enchilada.

I will say I think the worst matchup for us is Missouri State so I'd prefer them to be on the other side of the bracket and get eliminated. Just being honest.

Last edited:
I agree with Jason. With Drake literally and figurately limping along at the moment, I want to be on their side of the bracket. Even though we seem to play Loyola tough, they are the most complete team in the Valley. I also want absolutely nothing to do with Missouri State - they're a horrible matchup for us.

I also don't think Lansing is coming back under any circumstances.

I'm not a Lansing fanboy by any means, but if he's not brought back I will be posting like Hoopsfan and demanding that Clinkscales gets fired. He's already a D+ athletic director on my grading sheet anyways. I just don't see how you don't bring him back after 2 straight winning seasons.

Money does not guarantee success. ISU is 118 in Net Ranking. The Power 5 + Big East Schools below ISU in Net

Net Ranking.........119.........126......131........134.........137....143.......145,...149..........165..168...179.......191..........232......235
School....................Ariz St....WFU..Vandy..Oreg St....TAM...Butler...NEB....Miami..BC...Cal......DePaul..Wash.. Kn St...Iowa St
Coach Base Pay..2.5........2.0........2.0.............2.2.........3.8......0.7.........2.5........2.2........1.4....1.6.....??????......2.5........2.6.......2.4
in Millions/yr

Has anyone seen how the women's team has done under Clinkscales' hand picked coach? They are just completely pathetic it appears. In the MVC they are 1-8 so far this season, 3-15 last season, and 5-13 the season before that. Do you all really want this clown picking our next men's coach?

I'm not a Lansing fanboy by any means, but if he's not brought back I will be posting like Hoopsfan and demanding that Clinkscales gets fired. He's already a D+ athletic director on my grading sheet anyways. I just don't see how you don't bring him back after 2 straight winning seasons.
His "whole body of work" does not warrant an extension. He is gone man, he is gone. April Fool's Day is no joke. Time for someone else to get an opportunity.

Money does not guarantee success. ISU is 118 in Net Ranking. The Power 5 + Big East Schools below ISU in Net

Net Ranking.........119.........126......131........134.........137....143.......145,...149..........165..168...179.......191..........232......235
School....................Ariz St....WFU..Vandy..Oreg St....TAM...Butler...NEB....Miami..BC...Cal......DePaul..Wash.. Kn St...Iowa St
Coach Base Pay..2.5........2.0........2.0.............2.2.........3.8......0.7.........2.5........2.2........1.4....1.6.....??????......2.5........2.6.......2.4
in Millions/yr
And Lansing's landing one of these "lottery job" is like my lottery hopes ...... not much chance of happening. Not a team on this list would hire him to lead the way even if his ego thinks otherwise. Go make those "just have to make a call" jobs you have bragged about GL. Be interesting to see where you end up; maybe can work for your wife?

And Lansing's landing one of these "lottery job" is like my lottery hopes ...... not much chance of happening. Not a team on this list would hire him to lead the way even if his ego thinks otherwise. Go make those "just have to make a call" jobs you have bragged about GL. Be interesting to see where you end up; maybe can work for your wife?
manic ravings

You mean Rowling points on Ind State being trailing ONLY No Iowa and Wichita City in conf wins for past 11 seasons? I'm pretty sure it's been discussed on this board before, you'll have to overlook the "cherry picking" stats provided by some but I believe MOST followers on this board know Lansing's teams have won 8 or more MVC games every season save two (2017 - 5 wins, 2019 - 7 wins); 2017 was frustrating has hell as the lost 4-6 games by 5 pts or less, at least 2 losses were in OT

I find close losses to be far more maddening than a blowout

Last edited:
The program will always be in the middle of the road. Just going back many years when we were #1 in the country, there was a strong commitment from the university. Three things they needed to get after the coach Gordon Stauffer era:
1- new athletic director/coach - ended getting Coach King from University of New Mexico - was highly touted, their arena had the name called . The Pitt, he made them a power house, a guy called Mel Daniels an All American, was eventually an assistant for Coach King during the Bird era
2- get into a new conference - MVC
3- finally built a new arena, Hulman Center,. cost 10 million, with 2 and one-half million donated by Tony Hulman.

The community was behind it and when Bird came all of a sudden we are playing in front of 8,000 fans per game.
The problem with L:ansing, is look at the funds he has for running the prrogram. I bet we are somewhere in the bottom.
Should he get a new contract ? Maybe give him a 2 year extension, but does he want to come back. Its all about money, thats the bottom line! Just take a look at Lansings contract 250,000k base!!! I guess u get what you pay for.
I just don't feel the administration is really committed to building a srong program, just my impression

Harry Schroeder’s perspective...

I could spend a lot of time addressing this article, but I'll just write to one take-away.

Reference that fellow coaches Respect him Far and Wide topic, which then isn't supported in any ranking category by the fellow coaches.

That ranking poll should include, Lansing is probably the worse MVC road coach of all-time, and if home teams are struggling; playing a Lansing coached team in the last eleven years, is almost a guaranteed home win.

We will quickly see Lansing's road savviness as we play a weak 8-15 Valpo team in Valpo on February 26th and 27th. I would love to see us WIN BOTH games especially since Arch Madness quickly follows the Valpo series. What a way to enter the tournament with two ROAD WINS; but as the author of the article states, Lansing SHOULD.....

Thanks for sharing. This was interesting, and an affirmation on what the rest of the league thinks about Lansing and Indiana State.

I found this part to be most interesting. I may have just not been paying attention, but I don’t remember this:

“We reached out to Director of Athletics Sherard Clinkscales and he stayed true to his word. The university doesn’t want to discuss Lansing’s status during the season. Clinkscales says he is excited about the current season’s successes.

We announced prior to the season that Coach Lansing’s contract status would not be discussed in-season, and we stand by that now. I am excited about the way this team is playing and I am looking forward to watching this team finish the conference season strong and carry that momentum into St. Louis the conference tournament.’”

Lansing is probably the worse MVC road coach of all-time,

All-time? How about Kurt Kanaskie, Steve Merfeld, Ray Giacoltti, Ron Greene, Tates Locke, Dave Schellhase, Sam Weaver...heck maybe even even Royce Waltman statistically when you include his last six years....

Back