2020-2021 Men's Basketball Schedule

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll put this here . Bart Torvik has put together is VERY early predictions for the 2020-2021 basketball season, and he's picking ISU to finish 3rd in the conference again with an 18-11 overall record (11-7 in the MVC).

He also put together some individual statistical projections, which I find interesting. Key is projected to lead the team in scoring (shocker), but LaRavia is projected to finish at 12 and 8 per game. I think he might be a little light on Tre's projections and possibly too bullish on Cooper's, but overall this kind of makes sense.

I suppose it's good to see some analytical simulations that show we aren't expected to take a step back this year.

Interesting. At first, I thought 12 out of Jake may be too low but I forgot we essentially recruited two upperclass scorers. I think Jake has the potential to be an 18-20ppg scorer easily, especially since times he got that this year it was offense that didn't run through him -- rebound put backs, etc.

I'd certainly be happy with another Top 3 finish provided it feels like we have a good shot for postseason play.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Interesting. At first, I thought 12 out of Jake may be too low but I forgot we essentially recruited two upperclass scorers. I think Jake has the potential to be an 18-20ppg scorer easily, especially since times he got that this year it was offense that didn't run through him -- rebound put backs, etc.

I'd certainly be happy with another Top 3 finish provided it feels like we have a good shot for postseason play.

Agreed on Jake. I think he could definitely score more than 12 per game, but just the thought of a sophomore frontcourt player for us actually averaging 12 and 8 a game got me excited.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll put this here . Bart Torvik has put together is VERY early predictions for the 2020-2021 basketball season, and he's picking ISU to finish 3rd in the conference again with an 18-11 overall record (11-7 in the MVC).

He also put together some individual statistical projections, which I find interesting. Key is projected to lead the team in scoring (shocker), but LaRavia is projected to finish at 12 and 8 per game. I think he might be a little light on Tre's projections and possibly too bullish on Cooper's, but overall this kind of makes sense.

I suppose it's good to see some analytical simulations that show we aren't expected to take a step back this year.
Can't argue with anyone at this point, but I would lower Key's ppg and add some to Tre and Cobie. Stephens might need to be in there.

Missouri is backing out on Missouri State now. They'd probably rather play some low major at home than have to play a real team on the road and get beat.

Missouri is backing out on Missouri State now. They'd probably rather play some low major at home than have to play a real team on the road and get beat.

kind of an odd move by Martin... given that SMS gave him his first HC job

UPDATED...

Nov 10th @North Dakota State
Nov 13th @Purdue
Nov 23rd - 25th Gulf Coast Showcase - 3 Games
Dec 2nd @ Dayton
Dec 19th vs Ball State
Dec 22nd vs SEMO

I sort of wish we would stop taking buy games from Dayton. A home and home would be fine, but I have a slight issue with us taking buy games from other mid majors.

I think our game against Ball State is in Muncie, that game we played in Indy last season was a home game for us.

The SEMO game is a new addition, so that's one home game

I sort of wish we would stop taking buy games from Dayton. A home and home would be fine, but I have a slight issue with us taking buy games from other mid majors.

As it's our 2nd meeting ever with the Flyers, I'm not sure it's a huge issue

When it comes to basketball, I would hesitate to list U. of Dayton as a mid major. Just because they don't play in a P5 conference doesn't mean they don't have the resources to compete. State of the art arena, state of the art practice facility, sold out arena for every home game, thousands of fans that will travel anywhere to see them play. There are a lot of P5 schools that would love to have the resources and fans that Dayton has.

Question, is the Ball State game the FIRST home game of the year (where the new HC will be unveiled) or is it just the first home game to be announced so far and we will actually play someone at home earlier in the year than Ball State, it just has not been announced yet?

No, the Ball State game is not our first home game of the year. We will have other home games prior to Dec. 19th.

And while I'm aware that last year's game vs Ball State, at Banker's Life, was technically a home game for us, here is what Lansing said:

"We will play at Purdue on Nov 13th and have just signed a contract to play at Dayton again on Dec 2nd. Two of the country's best venues to help us prepare for the Valley season. We need more home games but we will play on December 19 against Ball State and on Dec 22nd versus SEMO. We couldn't be more excited."

I interpret that to mean that our game this year will be a home game. If I'm wrong about that, I'm wrong.

When it comes to basketball, I would hesitate to list U. of Dayton as a mid major. Just because they don't play in a P5 conference doesn't mean they don't have the resources to compete. State of the art arena, state of the art practice facility, sold out arena for every home game, thousands of fans that will travel anywhere to see them play. There are a lot of P5 schools that would love to have the resources and fans that Dayton has.

100%. I remember they were in the Top 100 basketball budgets when I compiled the numbers several years back. I also remember them committing to increase that spending to try to keep Miller. They were well over $7m/year last time I looked.

UPDATE about Ball State game...confirmed it's a home game for us.

From Todd Golden in the TribStar today:

"The Ball State game was originally supposed to be played in Muncie, but the contract was re-worked and the game will be in Terre Haute. "

UPDATE about Ball State game...confirmed it's a home game for us.

From Todd Golden in the TribStar today:

"The Ball State game was originally supposed to be played in Muncie, but the contract was re-worked and the game will be in Terre Haute. "

Thanks for the BSU game info, I hadn't heard that, so we'll owe them 2 road games.

Not sure how good SEMO will be, but they're a D1 opponent, so that's good.

I still wonder if we'll try to find another game while we're in Fargo, maybe play at UND, then have them come to ISU in 21-22, might as well play 2 if we're gonna go all they way up there?

Thanks for the BSU game info, I hadn't heard that, so we'll owe them 2 road games.

Not sure how good SEMO will be, but they're a D1 opponent, so that's good.

I still wonder if we'll try to find another game while we're in Fargo, maybe play at UND, then have them come to ISU in 21-22, might as well play 2 if we're gonna go all they way up there?
Maybe not. Depends on how the contract was reworked. We may have given them a payment to change it, who knows. I really wish we'd just form a perpetual contract with them. There is zero reason we should ever not play them regardless of record, RPI, BPI, how many Square donuts were sold, whatever.

SEMO is likely going to stink. Remember Rick Ray was just fired and they also had several kids walk. Their new coach is a Bruce Weber disciple so they'll likely play that Valleyesque style.

Agreed -- the ISU-East Division Hoosieroons should always be on the MBB, WBB, baseball, etc schedules and as many football schedules as possible

lil' sisters in Muncee believe they're better than their Big Brother

UPDATED

Nov 4th vs Rose-Hulman (exhibition)
Nov 10th @North Dakota State
Nov 13th @Purdue
Nov 23rd - 25th Gulf Coast Showcase - 3 Games
Dec 2nd @ Dayton
Dec 9th vs Wyoming
Dec 19th vs Ball State
Dec 22nd vs SEMO

I'm assuming we're returning the game with Wyoming? I can't see them itching to fly to Terre Haute without a guarantee of a return game next year.

Back