2020 Basketball Coaching Movement

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Something interesting to watch down the road, but Kory Alford (Steve's son) has decoupled from dad and took over NAIA Huntingon back in Indiana. He had been Director of Player Development at Nevada. Another interesting NAIA hire I saw was former Dallas Mavericks star Josh Howard took over a NAIA program in Dallas.

NMSU vs ETSU...that's a tough one.

The WAC is such a weak conference, maybe he's simply ready for a change in that regard.

WAC was 27th in RPI last year. Southern Conference was 13th.

ETSU has had 24+ wins the past 5 seasons (which is a stat that surprised me).

But yeah, overall, I would think Jans would be a coach who should be in conversations about jobs that are at least in the Atlantic 10 and AAC...if not the Big 6.

NMSU vs ETSU...that's a tough one.

The WAC is such a weak conference, maybe he's simply ready for a change in that regard.

WAC was 27th in RPI last year. Southern Conference was 13th.

ETSU has had 24+ wins the past 5 seasons (which is a stat that surprised me).

But yeah, overall, I would think Jans would be a coach who should be in conversations about jobs that are at least in the Atlantic 10 and AAC...if not the Big 6.

That makes more sense when you throw in conferences. I was just speaking of programs. NMSU has a great history. Remember watching them quite a bit when I was younger and Lou Henson was there.

That makes more sense when you throw in conferences. I was just speaking of programs. NMSU has a great history. Remember watching them quite a bit when I was younger and Lou Henson was there.

Agree -- the WAC is slowly circling the drain; still surprised they haven't folded their tents, guessing the MBB monies via the NCAA and what ever $$ they raise internal keep the out of bankruptcy but do recall when Seattle U. was returning to Div I (~2010) they begged to rejoin the WCC (a very natural fit) but were rebuffed pretty severely.

Have always though N.Mex State would take a page from the Idaho Vandals and revert back to FCS ball... they'd be a very natural fit in the Big Sky

Agree -- the WAC is slowly circling the drain; still surprised they haven't folded their tents, guessing the MBB monies via the NCAA and what ever $$ they raise internal keep the out of bankruptcy but do recall when Seattle U. was returning to Div I (~2010) they begged to rejoin the WCC (a very natural fit) but were rebuffed pretty severely.

Have always though N.Mex State would take a page from the Idaho Vandals and revert back to FCS ball... they'd be a very natural fit in the Big Sky

Yeah, I was just looking at their wiki page. We talk about how bad we screwed the pooch back in the late 70s... they have done equally as bad. They should have left the WAC when all of their good rivals did.

Yeah, I was just looking at their wiki page. We talk about how bad we screwed the pooch back in the late 70s... they have done equally as bad. They should have left the WAC when all of their good rivals did.

wiki??? NOOOOOOO!!! Jason, don't you REALIZE you'll know be known as a "keyboard warrior who lives in your parents' basement..." Not by me but by... "others"

ISU screwing the pooch in the late 70s... how so? by not capitalizing? not jumping conferences?

wiki??? NOOOOOOO!!! Jason, don't you REALIZE you'll know be known as a "keyboard warrior who lives in your parents' basement..." Not by me but by... "others"

ISU screwing the pooch in the late 70s... how so? by not capitalizing? not jumping conferences?

I think they should have remained paired with Ball State and went to the MAC. Had that happened, I think the school's profile would be higher and on par with how Ball State is looked at within the State.

Southeast Missouri completed its men’s basketball staff with the addition of Sam McMahon and Aaron Proctor Wednesday. McMahon joins the Redhawks as an assistant coach, while Proctor will serve as the program’s director of operations.

McMahon worked the last six years at Missouri Southern in roles as an assistant coach and associate head coach. MSSU is an NCAA Division II institution that is a member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, the same conference SEMO was a member of prior to its Division I era.

I think they should have remained paired with Ball State and went to the MAC. Had that happened, I think the school's profile would be higher and on par with how Ball State is looked at within the State.

Wasn't that the goal, idea of the MAC? They wanted both us and our regional campus in Muncee? Can't remember if Dr Rankin at State or ol' J. Pruis in Muncee torpedo'd the idea but obviously we didn't.

agree, we'd be in a better spot today had we went to the MAC then... the State of Indiana granting our other regional campus a larger, independent status has also hurt us, tremendously

Wasn't that the goal, idea of the MAC? They wanted both us and our regional campus in Muncee? Can't remember if Dr Rankin at State or ol' J. Pruis in Muncee torpedo'd the idea but obviously we didn't.

agree, we'd be in a better spot today had we went to the MAC then... the State of Indiana granting our other regional campus a larger, independent status has also hurt us, tremendously
Rankin simply listened to our AD, Gordon Chalmers, who was some kind of ”swimming expert” and didn’t know jack shit about basketball or football. We had an invitation to join the MAC. He turned it down. Worst decision in ISU sports history. Even worse than Andi Myers hiring Lou West!!!

Rankin simply listened to our AD, Gordon Chalmers, who was some kind of ”swimming expert” and didn’t know jack shit about basketball or football. We had an invitation to join the MAC. He turned it down. Worst decision in ISU sports history. Even worse than Andi Myers hiring Lou West!!!

Chalmers... the 1932 US Olympic swimmer? yeah; that likely makes him an expert

Somewhere in the house I have or had a copy of Rankin's memoirs or least his tenure at ISU. He likely covered that era

Though I've also that our lil sister didn't want us in the MAC... hell, most ISU_M grads I know don't realize that ISU_M WAS an ISU regional campus and the same is true for that blot on the west side of Evansville

I also recall a story that Rankin was "angling" to be named chancellor or the Indiana State University SYSTEM, with ISU as the flagship campus, regional campuses in Muncee and Evansville... not sure I believe that story as ISU_Muncee was independent in 1961 during the Holmstedt administration and ISU_Evansville was still an ember of an idea...

Regardless, we are where we are; I still believe the MAC will move closer to FCS football status going forward, I don't see the MVFC becoming a FBS conference.

Last edited:
New Mexico State wants to join the Mountain West which is why they haven't dropped to FCS yet. They would be great for the MWC in basketball, but their football is typically awful. From what I have heard New Mexico doesn't want NMST in the MWC.

Back