[Offered/Committed Elsewhere] '23 IN SG Joey Hart (Kentucky)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Rick Semmler just tweeted that Joey Hart has narrowed his college choices to four. They are University of Central Florida, Ball State, Toledo and Evansville. Looks like he would like to play close to home, but why ISU is not in the running on his recruitment is a shock to me. I know coach Graves is very close to his father/coach the elder Hart. This would more than compensate for the Lincoln Hale commitment that went south after Coach Shertz was hired. I don't blame Hale for switching schools after his meeting with Shertz, but was surprised that there were no other Division 1 offers out there. I guess that it's hard to understand why we cannot recruit over Ball State and Evansville, especially when those programs are in a complete makeover mode. We are light years ahead of them, I believe.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I guess that it's hard to understand why we cannot recruit over Ball State and Evansville, especially when those programs are in a complete makeover mode. We are light years ahead of them, I believe.
Not sure how you came up with light years. I think we're all on pretty even ground when it comes to recruiting, and you can throw Valpo in that group as well. Here's the results from last season.

ISU= 11-20; 4-14 MVC (9th place)
UE= 6-24; 2-16 MVC (10th place)
BSU= 14-17; 9-10 MAC (6th place)

ISU 75 BSU 97
UE 65 ISU 56
ISU 80 UE 77 (2OT)

Lincoln Hale didn't have any other d-1 offers b/c he wasn't worthy of a d-1 offer. Not trying to be mean but he just wasn't. I promptly jumped off the Hale train when I saw THN freshman (at the time) Bryson Carpenter lock his a$$ up at the Classic. Hale was a junior or senior at the time.

I thought Hart would end up with a handful of lower tier P-5 offers when it was said and done but it looks like I was wrong. Wouldn't be surprised to see him work up to that after a year or 2 at whatever mid major he ends up at. I think the kid has a nice game now, and is pretty explosive. Maybe he would've been helped if Linton played with more pace last year. I think he for sure would've been helped by playing on a better AAU team.

Lincoln Hale didn't have any other d-1 offers b/c he wasn't worthy of a d-1 offer. Not trying to be mean but he just wasn't. I promptly jumped off the Hale train when I saw THN freshman (at the time) Bryson Carpenter lock his a$$ up at the Classic. Hale was a junior or senior at the time.

I thought Hart would end up with a handful of lower tier P-5 offers when it was said and done but it looks like I was wrong. Wouldn't be surprised to see him work up to that after a year or 2 at whatever mid major he ends up at. I think the kid has a nice game now, and is pretty explosive. Maybe he would've been helped if Linton played with more pace last year. I think he for sure would've been helped by playing on a better AAU team.

I mean maybe... If you never took a flyer on a local kid who had zero or limited D1 offers you might miss on a Jake Odum or you might miss on a Jalen Moore. So I don't think it's fair to say that Linconln Hale didn't have any other D1 offers therefor he wasn't worth of a D1 offer. I am sorry but that is complete bull shit. It's also worth noting as I already said in this thread once - we offered Hale pretty early on as I recall. I don't know this for a fact but perhaps GL thought that Hale was in the process of getting some more D1 attention and he wanted to be the first to offer and then his market never materialized.

The interest Hart is getting is right in line with where it should be in my opinion... As for "why" Indiana State didn't take a flier on him? I'm not quite sure. JS differs from GL in a lot of ways right - it's applies again to this discussion. GL would throw offers or roster spots to almost ever "local" D1 talent (Rhett Smith, RJ, Odum, Eitel's, Hale, TJ Bell etc.) JS doesn't strike me as that sort of a coach - he's much more interested in how well you fit his system both from physical attributes and ability than what your address is... They're just different in that way - not to say that Hart isn't what he's looking for but obviously he's not what he's looking for or he would have offered or inquired.

In closing, I think it's pretty easy to arrive at the conclusion that ISU has heard from his camp that he's not interested in playing for ISU - thus no offer.

I guess I should've been more clear. My opinion of Hale was based on what I saw when watching him play. I didn't think he was good enough to play on the d1 level. I also had zero scholarships to award so I guess what I think doesn't matter. Anyway I'm all in favor in taking a flyer on a local kid. Staying with those you mentioned, I thought both Jake and Jalen were d1 talents. Again that was my opinion based on watching them play high school ball. And again I had no scholarships to award so my opinions didn't matter.
I mean maybe... If you never took a flyer on a local kid who had zero or limited D1 offers you might miss on a Jake Odum or you might miss on a Jalen Moore. So I don't think it's fair to say that Linconln Hale didn't have any other D1 offers therefor he wasn't worth of a D1 offer. I am sorry but that is complete bull shit. It's also worth noting as I already said in this thread once - we offered Hale pretty early on as I recall. I don't know this for a fact but perhaps GL thought that Hale was in the process of getting some more D1 attention and he wanted to be the first to offer and then his market never materialized.

The interest Hart is getting is right in line with where it should be in my opinion... As for "why" Indiana State didn't take a flier on him? I'm not quite sure. JS differs from GL in a lot of ways right - it's applies again to this discussion. GL would throw offers or roster spots to almost ever "local" D1 talent (Rhett Smith, RJ, Odum, Eitel's, Hale, TJ Bell etc.) JS doesn't strike me as that sort of a coach - he's much more interested in how well you fit his system both from physical attributes and ability than what your address is... They're just different in that way - not to say that Hart isn't what he's looking for but obviously he's not what he's looking for or he would have offered or inquired.

In closing, I think it's pretty easy to arrive at the conclusion that ISU has heard from his camp that he's not interested in playing for ISU - thus no offer.

Just to clear something up, JS did reoffer Hart. Took pictures and everything. I guess he didn’t feel the need to post about it since the previous staff had already offered. The current staff was told Hart wasn’t interested. Graves and Dad are good friends, so no hard feelings. It was the considerate thing to do.

I thought we offered a scholarship to Hart. Am I wrong? I know it has been since the Myrtle Beach tournament or so since I spoke with Coach Graves, but I was under the impression that we were recruiting Hart pretty hard. A lot can change in a year, I suppose.

I thought we offered a scholarship to Hart. Am I wrong? I know it has been since the Myrtle Beach tournament or so since I spoke with Coach Graves, but I was under the impression that we were recruiting Hart pretty hard. A lot can change in a year, I suppose.
I just saw ISUfan1912 post. We had interest, but Hart did not. Interesting.

Was. They're trending mid-major at this rate.
Maybe in football, but certainly not in basketball. They've won 2 national titles in a row (KS and Baylor), and had TX Tech not lost in OT in the 2019 national title game it would be 3 in a row for the conference. Houston is also coming along and they just made the Final 4 in 2021 and an Elite 8 this past season.

The "Queen City"down on the Ohio River might also argue this point, having produced one of the all-time NBA greats in the Attuck's "Big O," and ranking in the top 15 all-time of NCAA wins.

I know that UCF has grown by leaps & bounds in their half-century existence, but they might be out of their league as a Big 12 school. Funny that FIT in Melbourne/Palm Bay is also known locally as "Florida Tech."

Released from letter of intent. Could be interesting. We weren't in his original final four schools.

Last edited:
Back