Game Day Atmosphere ideas

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

IndyTreeFan

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
Ok guys, let's talk about what can be done to improve the atmosphere at our games. Obviously, winning and a fun style of play will help, but what else you got? I know we all talk about it. Let's list out our ideas.

I'll start:

1. My personal pet peeve - the band MUST be involved in the game. When we go on a run and force the opponent to call a time out, they should immediately play the school song. Loudly. Right at the other team's huddle.
2. Get a new PA announcer. Please. I cringe every time he speaks.
3. Develop a "museum" type area to display trophies, banners, videos on ISU history, etc. Or at least put them back in the little display cases they built a few years ago.

There's other things I can think of, but what do you think???

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Happy to see our 1999 winning trophy from the Indiana Classic is now proudly displayed in a trophy case located in the outer lobby. Also, concession stand lines are way too LONG during halftime. Something needs to be done to alleviate this, especially since we haven't drawn any big crowds YET.... Small portable beer stands located strategically in the outer concourse would be a big help, along with a few other specialty food stands run by local charity groups. Also, let us ask some of the art students to paint some murals of famous Sycamore Basketball stars. If you walk around the concourse of Wrigley Field at a Cubs game, you know exactly what I mean. At least draw the great players that we have banners hung in HC for. And another thing, there are two seats behind the North basket in the upper seating area that are covered with a tarp. I walked up there during halftime and discovered the tarp was covered with OIL. Obviously from some kind of leak from some mechanical equipment in the ceiling. And why are the first row of upper concourse seats (prime viewing for the game) covered with a similar tarp? 50 million dollars spent and this is what we get??? I've asked dozens of ushers, ticket takers, etc. and no one has any clue what the deal is. Who is in charge of the maintenance of our great facility??

How about during the timeouts have the cheerleaders throw ISU t shirts or promotional basketballs into the crowd, I think we're the only school that doesn't do this, surely there are some sponsors who'd be willing to buy the shirts and have their logos on the shirt that are thrown into the crowd, it can't cost that much

I'll give credit for having the Frisbee dogs at halftime of the ball state game. Great idea, about time someone brought them in. There needs to be halftime entertainment every home game.

Maybe have the Cheerleaders line the stairs at the beginning of the games like the did in the past. Stand in the aisles and cheer till the other team scores. At the last media time out when they play the Wabash Cannonball have them in the stands all over the arena. I believe that getting them into the crowd would get people on their feet and not treat it like a regular time out.

I loved the idea someone had on here about having the different departments or colleges in the university set up in the south entrance area almost like a "college fair" type of atmosphere. It would be cheap marketing and would enhance the big, empty space during games. Might get a few interested students, as well.

I hope so....i always want to see people win large sums of money.....myself included, but i know that would be huge for a college student.

Maybe the cheerleaders or whatever they're called could perform facing the west and student sections instead of the uninvolved east side season ticket holders. Agree about the announcer, way too dramatic.

Maybe the cheerleaders or whatever they're called could perform facing the west and student sections instead of the uninvolved east side season ticket holders. Agree about the announcer, way too dramatic.
I find it sad that when the spirit people want to get a chant going (I-S-U or Go-Big-Blue), they only show their signs to one side of the arena. I’ve never seen that before. Usually one side yells “I,” the ends yell “S,” and the other side yells “U!” The point is to get everyone involved.

Does no one think this stuff through???

I find it sad that when the spirit people want to get a chant going (I-S-U or Go-Big-Blue), they only show their signs to one side of the arena. I’ve never seen that before. Usually one side yells “I,” the ends yell “S,” and the other side yells “U!” The point is to get everyone involved.

Does no one think this stuff through???

There has been a massive erosion over the last couple decades so it's possible that unless it's being taught by the director of the program, the members may have not experienced it. Or if they went to smaller HS where there was no need/consideration for something like that. Attendance has gone down for sports at every level.

Asked a pep band member how many times they play the school song and they rattled off the 5 scheduled times. I said to tell their director it needs to be played more. They said..."why?" So I tried to explain it.

Ok guys, let's talk about what can be done to improve the atmosphere at our games. Obviously, winning and a fun style of play will help, but what else you got? I know we all talk about it. Let's list out our ideas.

I'll start:

1. My personal pet peeve - the band MUST be involved in the game. When we go on a run and force the opponent to call a time out, they should immediately play the school song. Loudly. Right at the other team's huddle.
2. Get a new PA announcer. Please. I cringe every time he speaks.
3. Develop a "museum" type area to display trophies, banners, videos on ISU history, etc. Or at least put them back in the little display cases they built a few years ago.

There's other things I can think of, but what do you think???
Smith was a great announcer but for whatever reason he was released for some unknown reason. He was faithful and very pro ISU without going overboard.

Last edited:
Smith was a great announcer but for whatever reason he was released for some unknown reason. He was faithful and very pro ISU without going overboard.
someone needs to tell the announcer that he is not bigger than the game, someone needs to pipe him down, I'm with everyone else, I literally have to plug my ears when he yells into the microphone, and I'm not an old geezer with hearing trouble yet!

Just let the loudest fan have front row sideline seats behind the visitors bench. I use to be able to yell all game. Now my voice gives out pretty quickly so I have to pick my moments. I really think game experience will take care of itself with a sustained winning team.

Back