Gregg Marshall under investigation by Wichita State for allegations of misconduct

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Well, we know why there was a revolving door now for players and assistants.

Among the allegations Stadium uncovered:
  • Marshall punched Morris in the head during a practice in October of 2015. “I love my teammates, the city and Wichita State,” said Morris, who played at Wichita State from 2014-18. “But if I could go back to that day when he punched me, I would have left.”
  • Marshall choked Lindsted, then a Shockers assistant coach, at a practice during the 2016-17 season, sources said. Lindsted, now an assistant at Minnesota, declined comment.
  • Marshall taunted junior forward Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, who is of Native American descent, “to get back on his horse” and made “Indian howling noises” while in practice during the 2018-19 season.
  • Marshall body-shamed a former player by lifting his shirt up during a practice in the 2015-16 season, grabbing the player’s stomach and then mocking the player’s girth.
Of the 36 players and coaches Stadium interviewed, only Morris and former Wichita State guard Ty Taylor agreed to be identified for this report. The remaining individuals, who corroborated the allegations against Marshall, said they feared retribution and possible community backlash because of Marshall’s support and power in Wichita.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Ooooooh boy, this is going to get interesting. The perspective from ShockerNet is also very telling. Some seem pretty fed up with Gregggggg’s bullshit in Wichita while others still consider him God. I think the issue is Marshall considers himself God, too.

The story about him punching another student athlete for parking in his spot is one of the more crazier parts to the allegations. Marshall is clearly a hot-head, which can be tolerated when the team is winning. WSU has struggled the last couple of years both on the court and with recruiting and retaining players, so these incidents tend to catch up with a coach once the winning slows down.

This is going to look somewhat similar to Knight’s departure at IU. Marshall is nowhere in the same coaching stratosphere as Knight, but the fallout will be similar. There will be fans who will call those former players “soft” who have spoken out. There will be former players who will assuredly come to Marshall’s defense (like Van Vleet) even though he saw the same abuse occurring. The players bold enough to speak out will be forever vilified even though they deserve nothing but praise for speaking the truth (assuming it’s the truth). Fans will forever be torn on the subject should Marshall be fired. And, there’s no doubt in my mind, that the only reason WSU is conducting a formal investigation now when a lot of these documented incidents happened in 2016 is because they’re looking to fire him and get out from under his contract.

Oh, and Marshall has one of those automatic rollover contracts we know so much about...

The final, I guess, funny part about all of this is Lou Gudino may have found his way into an interim head coaching position at a big time program. I believe he would be a logical replacement while WSU conducts a wider coaching search.

The final, I guess, funny part about all of this is Lou Gudino may have found his way into an interim head coaching position at a big time program. I believe he would be a logical replacement while WSU conducts a wider coaching search.

If that happened, could we finally say that Lansing has a "coaching tree" with a former asst at the head coaching ranks? Or for a tree to be real, does the asst have to go straight from asst with said coach, directly to a head coaching position?

I hope he does. I don't wish any success on WSU and moving Gudino into the HC position would be a sure way to crash the program.

Unless the assistants are rolling on Marshall, I wouldn't allow any of them to be interim as they will be complicit in the abuse.

Ooooooh boy, this is going to get interesting. The perspective from ShockerNet is also very telling. Some seem pretty fed up with Gregggggg’s bullshit in Wichita while others still consider him God. I think the issue is Marshall considers himself God, too.

The story about him punching another student athlete for parking in his spot is one of the more crazier parts to the allegations. Marshall is clearly a hot-head, which can be tolerated when the team is winning. WSU has struggled the last couple of years both on the court and with recruiting and retaining players, so these incidents tend to catch up with a coach once the winning slows down.

This is going to look somewhat similar to Knight’s departure at IU. Marshall is nowhere in the same coaching stratosphere as Knight, but the fallout will be similar. There will be fans who will call those former players “soft” who have spoken out. There will be former players who will assuredly come to Marshall’s defense (like Van Vleet) even though he saw the same abuse occurring. The players bold enough to speak out will be forever vilified even though they deserve nothing but praise for speaking the truth (assuming it’s the truth). Fans will forever be torn on the subject should Marshall be fired. And, there’s no doubt in my mind, that the only reason WSU is conducting a formal investigation now when a lot of these documented incidents happened in 2016 is because they’re looking to fire him and get out from under his contract.

Oh, and Marshall has one of those automatic rollover contracts we know so much about...

Spot on. Love how they don't understand why this is coming out now, either. They're not winning at a Final Four clip and those that were impacted have had time to mature, reflect and realize the behaviors they experienced or tolerated were not okay.

I also find it interesting as to the guys speaking out for Marshall. They pretty much all share a certain demo where they came from very rough neighborhoods and poor backgrounds. They normalize the behavior because it is all they know.

Wichita is such a strange bubble. It’s a relatively large town in the middle of nowhere, so the people that live there make it seem like it’s the center of the universe. To them, it is...by a wide margin. I used to live in KC, so I would travel to Wichita often for ISU games, and I still do business in Wichita regularly now, so I’m familiar with the community.

The reason I bring this up is because Marshall is the KING of this weird bubble. The people simply refer to him as “Coach” and he and his wife pretty much run the town. Marshall may have been a normal, decent guy at one point in his coaching career, but if you spend 10+ years as a God-like figure in that strange bubble it’s probably natural to change. He unfortunately seems to have let this God complex take him over and treats people like absolute shit. Everyone is subservient to the greatness of Greggggggg.

The town and the university have been accepting of that treatment until now because he was winning conference championships, taking teams deep in the tournament and recruiting fan-favorite players. Now, it’s a revolving-door locker room and a conference about as spread out and anonymous as it could be. A conference where they’ve competed, but not thrived like the days of old.

He also has the automatic rollover contract as the 15th highest paid coach in college basketball. If you’re a school with financial troubles, like most are at this point, you’re probably looking to get out from under that contract as quickly as possible.

Wichita is such a strange bubble. It’s a relatively large town in the middle of nowhere, so the people that live there make it seem like it’s the center of the universe. To them, it is...by a wide margin. I used to live in KC, so I would travel to Wichita often for ISU games, and I still do business in Wichita regularly now, so I’m familiar with the community.

The reason I bring this up is because Marshall is the KING of this weird bubble. The people simply refer to him as “Coach” and he and his wife pretty much run the town. Marshall may have been a normal, decent guy at one point in his coaching career, but if you spend 10+ years as a God-like figure in that strange bubble it’s probably natural to change. He unfortunately seems to have let this God complex take him over and treats people like absolute shit. Everyone is subservient to the greatness of Greggggggg.

The town and the university have been accepting of that treatment until now because he was winning conference championships, taking teams deep in the tournament and recruiting fan-favorite players. Now, it’s a revolving-door locker room and a conference about as spread out and anonymous as it could be. A conference where they’ve competed, but not thrived like the days of old.

He also has the automatic rollover contract as the 15th highest paid coach in college basketball. If you’re a school with financial troubles, like most are at this point, you’re probably looking to get out from under that contract as quickly as possible.

Just reading the pages on ShockerNet that is apparently obvious. I wouldn't put it past many of those guys to offer up their wives in tribute. Absolutely disgusting.

Why don’t you wait for the facts instead of innuendo and allegations? Your not very thoughtful!

Shaq Morris made the allegation. Goodman then reached out to players that were on the Shockers during that time to either confirm or deny said allegation. Multiple players confirmed it. It would seem to me that at that point, the allegation became fact.

Are you calling Shaq Morris and every player that confirmed Shaq's account to Goodman a liar? What exactly would you require to be made public in order to validate Shaq's story?

Why don’t you wait for the facts instead of innuendo and allegations? Your not very thoughtful!

I don’t think any of us are saying the process shouldn’t play itself out, but there’s a helluva lot of smoke here. At least enough of it to warrant discussing.

Back