Lansing Contract Situation

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
For whatever it is (or is not) worth, it appears that Lansing was paid $319,767.45 in 2019. I don't know if this includes things like extra paid for radio show and other incentives....or if it's just his base pay.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
that's most likely his total compensation package; salary, radio/media appearances and any incentives

again, drives home that ISU will let his contract run before a retention decision is made; lotta $$ to pay if he's fired early

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
that's most likely his total compensation package; salary, radio/media appearances and any incentives

again, drives home that ISU will let his contract run before a retention decision is made; lotta $$ to pay if he's fired early
Are you suggesting that he's coaching on the last year of his contract this coming season??

I don't think that is the case... I would say he's already been granted a 1-3 year extension meaning he will be here for the next 2-4 years with his current year left. My guess is the only reason for that not being made public at this point is this COVID situation - just not good timing to release that information.

The only thing that would make me hesitate to believe that would be the multiple 5th year guys. For two reasons - I've got to win THIS YEAR to keep my job and I don't want to get or am struggling to get commitments from kids who would be here beyond next seasons because of his contract situation.

I agree that ISU would let his contract run out before they fired him - because as we've said for 4 years now they can't afford to fire him (for multiple reasons not just his contract). I think he earned a short extension last year - likely looking at 2 year extension.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Are you suggesting that he's coaching on the last year of his contract this coming season??

I don't think that is the case... I would say he's already been granted a 1-3 year extension meaning he will be here for the next 2-4 years with his current year left. My guess is the only reason for that not being made public at this point is this COVID situation - just not good timing to release that information.

The only thing that would make me hesitate to believe that would be the multiple 5th year guys. For two reasons - I've got to win THIS YEAR to keep my job and I don't want to get or am struggling to get commitments from kids who would be here beyond next seasons because of his contract situation.

I agree that ISU would let his contract run out before they fired him - because as we've said for 4 years now they can't afford to fire him (for multiple reasons not just his contract). I think he earned a short extension last year - likely looking at 2 year extension.
As I've not found a record of his contract being extended; yes, I'm suggesting that he is in fact entering his last year under contract.

I think any role that the COVID_19 pandemic has played is it's "ability" in NOT allowing the ISU leadership to gather in a room and discuss

Time will tell if he has been extended

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
As I've not found a record of his contract being extended; yes, I'm suggesting that he is in fact entering his last year under contract.

I think any role that the COVID_19 pandemic has played is it's "ability" in NOT allowing the ISU leadership to gather in a room and discuss

Time will tell if he has been extended
Nothing is on public record... That doesn't mean a decision hasn't been made?? He may be entering his last year as far as the general public is concerned as of right now.

I'm going with he's getting extended and it will be public record sooner rather than later.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Agree -- a decision may have been made; if it has, so be it.

I'm not going to worry if they have or have not; if he's been extended, I'm OK with that decision

if no decision has been made, I'm OK with that decision

This is not a life or death issue -- we've got far, FAR more of those at them moment

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
Agree -- a decision may have been made; if it has, so be it.

I'm not going to worry if they have or have not; if he's been extended, I'm OK with that decision

if no decision has been made, I'm OK with that decision

This is not a life or death issue -- we've got far, FAR more of those at them moment
I understand that - which is why I don't think they've released any information. I'd probably have been less shocked if they fired him as I would be if they let him coach with only a year left on his contract. That would be a pretty interesting scenerio/enviorment for him and his players to be in... Which is why I figured I'd interject with my thoughts.

child

The White Level
I just hope they get to keep him at a reasonable price. He earned it in 2019 and has been getting better players. My concern is that we have an effective PG next year.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
I just hope they get to keep him at a reasonable price. He earned it in 2019 and has been getting better players. My concern is that we have an effective PG next year.
What is a reasonable price to you? If we're talking about getting the position in line with the conference, he needs a pay raise.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
I get the impression that GL will accept a home town discount. If not bye-bye.
He shouldn't and not a single fan should want him to. That sets the position back. The goal should always be to move the program forward and the sooner our coaching position is near the league average, the better.

child

The White Level
I agree to some extent, but they just don't have the money. I wish they did, it will be interesting to see that happens. If he has another winning season it would be hard to lose him. I hope he says we will see about the $$$'s. Hay why didn't that Howard play last year?

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
This is great - since we've got some new people commenting and visiting now is probably a great time for me to simply and reiterate all of this one last time!! If you are any mid major college basketball / athletic program winning isn't the number one standard anymore... A variety of reasons why this isn't the #1 standard as much as all of us sports lovers wish life was that simple I'm sorry to be the one to inform you it's just not that way anymore.

In no certain order here a list of things that matter just as much if not more than winning:

- Are you setting a good example to your student athletes.

- Are you behaving like a professional and abiding by all compliance regulations?

- Are you activily engaged with alums? Are you well respected by them? Do they donate to your program?

- Are your athletes graduating? Are they staying eligable? Are they causing trouble off the court? Are they invovled in the community?

- Are you well respected by other coaches around the league and country? Do you have a good repuation among officials?

- Have you embraced / suported the university and the city in other aspects?

THEN once you check all those boxes you can start to look at overall perforamce/Winning/Losing keeping in mind the following things:

- How do our facilities compare to those schools were competing and recruiting against?

- What is our attendance look like compared to other like mid major programs?

- What does our entire athletic and then program specific budget look like compared to other like mid major programs?

- What do our coahces saleries look like compared to other like mid major programs?

- What does our alumni/donor support look like program to program and compared to other like mid major programs? Furthermore, is the lack of support the coaches fault or do we have other underlying factors that are at play?

AND finally after all of that is taken into consideration!

- You can talk about __________ coaches record. And when we start focusing on Indiana State and Greg Lansing specifically. They haven't had the money to buy him out... So if you're frustrated with the job Greg Lansing has done at Indiana State perhaps you should be frustrated with Indiana State as well and our inability to have any money to be able to have flexability - if you don't have the same level of frustration toward Indiana State then you're opinion is likely jaded in the first place.

Let's assume it's not and you're equally frustrated at all parties invovled - fine some people are! If you break down the #'s as they've been broken down in many threads over the last 24 months the #'s aren't that bad if you compare them to the history of the program - he's one of the most sucesfull basketball coaches we've ever had. If you ask almost ever reaonsable person on this forum they would tell you that Greg Lansing and his team had to win last year that anything outside of a top 3 finish would have probably been the end - well guess what he finished in the top 3 with two freshman playing PF and C.

It's as simple as that - he's our coach and he's our coach for a lot of other reasons besides what happens from November-March every year. The conclusion is this - all of the 10-20 people that want Lansing fired or non-renewed (at this point) are the same people who have always hated the man. They're like the same 10-20 people that will hate the next loser we hire and not because they're bad fans or bad people... The logic is just flawed - winning in mid-major college basketball is not all that matters. Winning is fun -being competitive is important - it's not the only thing though!

Last edited:

region rat

The All-MVC Level
He shouldn't and not a single fan should want him to. That sets the position back. The goal should always be to move the program forward and the sooner our coaching position is near the league average, the better.
Not only some sort of raise or even the raise discount, Lansing knows the economic/money problems he has. There should be better pay for the assistants, larger budget to recruit etc and the numerous items mentioned by SOM today. Coach has done a better than average job and I will restate an exceptional one with the constraints he has.