Let Crawford play please!

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

SycamoreStateofMind

The Odum Level
Supporter
He has a decent jump shot, he is the only player on the team that has decent foot work in the post. He can drive the ball to the rack and dunk on you as he did against Illinois State (we have no 1 else on the team with that ability). Coach will play him for a few minutes and if he makes a mistake, he usually ends up on the bench. But he is better than Martin, and Leitnaker.

Start him and let him play! Those of you who think he is to weak. That might be the only bash on him. He can block shots and do what needs to be done. Put him in the darn game.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I am going to say this one more time! Let the kid play. Granted Martin had one of his best games as a Sycamore last night in my opnion the one bright spot from the game. But #5 has got to get in the game more. He had a nice dunk AGAIN, he plays decent def. usually adds a block or a steal. He can shoot free throws and the mid range J. Let him play for gosh sakes. Ugh!

UNI Game

If you saw Crawford's INSIDE play, you should have your answer. He's too weak & slow to play effective MVC "D".

He watches BOTH the construction of the "picket fence" and the "paint drying" procedure!:meditate:

I am going to say this one more time! Let the kid play. Granted Martin had one of his best games as a Sycamore last night in my opnion the one bright spot from the game. But #5 has got to get in the game more. He had a nice dunk AGAIN, he plays decent def. usually adds a block or a steal. He can shoot free throws and the mid range J. Let him play for gosh sakes. Ugh!

I will give you kudos on your basketball knowledge no more after this observation.

Dare I hesitate to bring this post to life again. On this team this kid has the ability to play. Say what you like about my knowledge of the game or what have you. I think I might have a little different perspective than many of you. But I think when he is in he plays pretty hard. Is he a little weak sure... But if you think he is weak I hate to think what you sick people are gonna think of Rj next year. Give the kid a break. He has played good ball as a Sycacmore given the limited oppertunity.

I am going to have to agree with treefromafar.

Nice dunk? Who cares. He can't guard anyone. He blocks shots, but for every one he blocks he gets beat down low twice.

I would have to say that I disagree with almost all of Morgan's comments.

Josh does some things well. However, he has to be on the court with the right guys. He is not going to be able to guard Odiakosa or Egleseder. If we get the right match-ups, Josh can be effective. As morgan stated, it is going to be similar with Mahurin. RJ will probably struggle to guard a Center or Power Forward. Will he be quick enough to guard the other teams # 3 position? I don't know.

I think RJ's situation will be somewhat similar to Josh Crawford's. By that I mean, he will probably flourish in the right match up and struggle in the wrong matchup. The good thing is, he has four years to figure it out. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he is a red-shirt next year.

I am going to have to agree with treefromafar.

Nice dunk? Who cares. He can't guard anyone. He blocks shots, but for every one he blocks he gets beat down low twice.

I would have to say that I disagree with almost all of Morgan's comments.

ahah I love it! I'm so un-offended by these remarks it's funny.

Whatever you folks think you all are the experts not me. I don't know what I am talking about, I just dream this stuff up. But if you watched the game against SIU I think someone out their must agree with me. Maybe they are not a poster on this board or something... Not sure.

Hey Morgan, I'll agree with you. (I'm sure that makes your whole week!!!) I think Crawford has potential and really has played pretty well as of late. He does tend to have defensive lapses, but the ability is there, and I'd like to see him on the floor more often. Plus, I love a guy whose (obviously) favorite parts of the game are dunking and shot blocking!!!

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

Hey Morgan, I'll agree with you. (I'm sure that makes your whole week!!!) I think Crawford has potential and really has played pretty well as of late. He does tend to have defensive lapses, but the ability is there, and I'd like to see him on the floor more often. Plus, I love a guy whose (obviously) favorite parts of the game are dunking and shot blocking!!!

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

YES! Victory! Indeed my week has been made! Mark this down as the first time Indy Tree Fan and I have agreed on something... lol

I don't know that to be fact, but I figure it must be pretty close to the first time we have agreed.

He def. can finish inside and I think he has a decent mid range jumper.

Crawford Needs Confidence

Josh Crawford simply needs confidence and you get confidence by playng. There are not many 6-11 guys that have all of his skills. He runs the floor very well. He has some defensive weaknesses but, in my opinion, the longer he is on the foor the better he is. He has an excellent touch and is capable of jumping out of the gym.

I assume the jumping comment was a joke.

He does ok in relief but he is resting Jay and Carl. They are both at the top of the conference in some categories. You surely don't propose setting one of them down to play Crawford?

Come on Morgan or anyone else. Think about it.

At this point he is a good option. I would rather play him than Brant. He is your back up Center right now ok. Fact of the matter is I would rather have Jay on the floor yes. But Jay does not play the whole game, he needs to sit down and when he sits down this is the guy that needs to come in. Yes when Richard sits down and Jay stays on the floor this is the guy that needs to come in. Am I suggesting he should start ahead of Jay or Carl? Nope. But I am suggesting he should see increased playing time. Granted this post started a month ago when we were playing horrible and the only bright spot was a dunk here or their from the before mentioned Crawford.

I can honestly say that late in the game against SIU, McKenna had Crawford and Richard in the game. He brought Jay into the game and took Josh out. With the game that Crawford played I would have rather seen him sit Richard in that situation. Because at SIU Crawford was having a better game than Carl. You all can say what you want about that decision.

I mean I am fine with Carl, I have no problem with him. Hence why I was not in on the discussion that his family got involved in on this mesg. board. I think Carl has a lot of work to do on the off. side of the ball. I mean can you honestly sit here and tell me that Carl is a better off. option than Crawford??? Honestly? If you think he is then you have lost your mind. Carl is a liability on the off. side of the ball in my opinion.

Crawford Can Jump! No Joke!

I am not proposing increasing Crawford's time at the expense of any other specific athlete. But I am not kidding about Crawford's jumping ability. Are you suggesting he can't jump?

Who led the MVC in blocked shots last season? Isiah Martin.
Who leads ISU in blocked shots this season?

Richard and Tunnell are better rebounders and Richard, in particular, has great leaping ability. But Crawford has twice as many blocked shots as Richard in less than half the minutes and is among the MVC's Top Six or Seven in that category.

I am sure Coach McKenna has just reasons for not playing Crawford in two or three recent games. My post simply tenders my thoughts regarding the impact of lack of playing time on confidence. Josh has been a positive factor in the last two games and, hopefully, will gain confidence from that experience.

Yeah the dude can flat out fly! He takes "wanna be like Mike" to a whole new level! He fly's like a Tornado on the South Side of Terre Haute! He can def. jump!

I don't think Crawford can get over 9" off the floor. He's the worst jumper we have ever had. But, he can block shots due to his height and reach. He's like a goaltender. I'm not writing him off. He is improving. It's just that he is a jr and he has played one season of D1 so I don't know how much improving he can do next year.

I wonder if McKenna is considering redshirting Crawford next season at all? Or would Josh even want to do that? That way Josh could get a little stronger.

YES! Victory! Indeed my week has been made! Mark this down as the first time Indy Tree Fan and I have agreed on something... lol

I don't know that to be fact, but I figure it must be pretty close to the first time we have agreed.

He def. can finish inside and I think he has a decent mid range jumper.

You know, Morgan, while we don't see eye to eye very often, I do enjoy your perspective. We could probably have a wonderful time discussing ISU athletics at the Bally...:wordyo:

We were talking about this over a year ago and finally, finally my wish has become a reality! From last basketball season to this basketball season and finally Josh Crawford has earned some PT. Is he the next NBA prospect? Doubtful, but has he been our best option the past 2 season? Without a doubt!

He has played pretty darn good for us this season. He is having a career year across the board and he has really played hard. Just wanted to make sure he got his credit for his part in this winning season!

To those of you who said I didn't know what I was talking about or wanted to tear me down, I ask you to say something now! Tell me I was wrong about him... Better yet, don't bother I never doubted myself.

Thanks Josh!

Last edited:
Back