What’s better for Lansing?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I have no idea why I am commenting in this thread... Other than to say would it give another coach a chance at building the program? At what price?

1. Good chance Key comes back if Lansing is retained. He’s definitely gone if Lansing is gone.

2. Tre Williams and Jake LaRavia will likely opt out and transfer if Lansing isn’t retained.

3. You’ve got multiple key donors who will walk with Lansing. Those individuals might not be as significant as some think in the grand scheme of things - but they’re significant enough that a donor push to get Lansing out sooner has never materialized.

4. The budget doesn’t change - all other factors remain constant.

5. Jake Odum likely gone too right? I mean a new coach would retain him? Unlikely.

6. You’ve got Cooper, Williams, Jake and maybe Key back next year - any chance of landing a nice transfer to go along with that nucleus is gone.

I could probably think of more but will leave it at that. In closing (this is my first I think and final post in this thread) Indiana State tried to renew Lansing after last season and then COVID happened and things got squirrelly... No offer came to GL liking - at that point Indiana State would have been better off saying we’ve decided to mutually part ways at seasons end. They didn’t do that and now they’ve backed themselves into a corner. He’s got enough going for him that he should probably be back - but they didn’t want him back last season and not much has really changed. He has the season we expected them to have. Not much better. Not worse.
Players maybe leaving always comes up when a coaching change is made. Most of them never leave but stay & play for the new coach. Players can not be allowed to run the show. If not happy move on no matter how good you are or think you are. A player or players leaving will likely be replaced by better ones. With the no more "sit out" rule there will be movement to P5's from the MVC on a regular basis anyway.

I probably shouldn't even respond to this thread because I think it's just not a good look, just like I don't think the fire Lansing thread is a good look. The best thing for GL to do is to win, just like he tries to do every time out. Same with AD Clink, everything he does he is trying to make our teams better. Sometimes things just don't work out. Just like they don't at IU or Purdue or in my business. I'm all for talking about the games or recruit rumors etc. But, the personal attacks just aren't for me. We have no idea on a day to day basis what the coaches or athletic department are dealing with. I have met many people in the ISU athletic department and they're all good people. I would sure hate it if all my customers critiqued me at every turn like some here do. And I sure would hate it if somebody who hated me like a couple do Lansing, constantly bitched about me on Facebook. Some of you need a change of perspective.

Players maybe leaving always comes up when a coaching change is made. Most of them never leave but stay & play for the new coach. Players can not be allowed to run the show. If not happy move on no matter how good you are or think you are. A player or players leaving will likely be replaced by better ones. With the no more "sit out" rule there will be movement to P5's from the MVC on a regular basis anyway.

again -- you're cherry-picking your position; depending on the program, depending on the how/why a coaching change is made; there can be WHOLESALE turnover in players.

Are the players running the show at ISU? There's been ZERO rumors of that

And you're dreaming if you think a bunch of 5*, 4*, 3* players are going to start flocking the Valley w/ the "sit out" rule -- there'll be movement from the Valley up to the "P5," there will be movement within the "P5"

again -- you're cherry-picking your position; depending on the program, depending on the how/why a coaching change is made; there can be WHOLESALE turnover in players.

Are the players running the show at ISU? There's been ZERO rumors of that

And you're dreaming if you think a bunch of 5*, 4*, 3* players are going to start flocking the Valley w/ the "sit out" rule -- there'll be movement from the Valley up to the "P5," there will be movement within the "P5"
Not a helluva lot of 5*, 4*, 3* players play in the Valley now. I meant vice versa. P5's cherry picking the better MVC players to mostly strengthen their bench behind all of their 5*, 4* ,3* that are on the floor. A very few might get to start or play much (maybe like Liam snatched from Drake).

Not a helluva lot of 5*, 4*, 3* players play in the Valley now. I meant vice versa. P5's cherry picking the better MVC players to mostly strengthen their bench behind all of their 5*, 4* ,3* that are on the floor. A very few might get to start or play much (maybe like Liam snatched from Drake).

Robbins transferred to play under his uncle's tutelage; he also had zero Div I offers coming out of HS

I don't think mediocrity should be something to strive for or maintain. "Winning" seasons are simply 1 game over .500 or better. If simply winning more games than we lose is what we're after then keep Lansing because the truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter. But hopefully, Clinkscales, the fans, the alumni, the boosters all want something more than mediocre basketball.

Lansing has had a fair opportunity. More than fair. He has had brought in some nice players and even had a few big wins but he has not reached any sort of post season success. He made it to the tournament, then the NIT, then the CBI and then......................it has been a steady decline into mediocrity with no real showing of how to manage an offense, timeouts, half time adjustments. The Lansing slump is a real thing that players hit their junior year and stagnate. He is not a good bigs coach.

To simply say he should get an extension if he wins a few games in Arch Madness is, to me, simply people unsure of the future and the inconvenience of a possible turn around period with a new coach. It's the devil you know vs the devil you don't know syndrome.

I've met him a few times and he was very cordial and kind but this isn't a personal take on him, but a professional one. We should be looking elsewhere. The next coach may not be any better and may in fact be worse but we can't keep Lansing simply because of that. Keep trying to get better.

A split at Valpo and one w at St Louis is good enough for me, keep GL. No blowouts that could change my opinion.

Looks like it's time again for my annual trip to Dreyer & Reinbold BMW to EXPECT and DEMAND a 7 Series for the price of a Dodge Omni. Maybe this year I'll get something way above average when my budget is way, way below average. I'll let you all know how it goes....

Why bother w/ a middle of the road jalopy like a 7-Series... stroll over to M-Benz of Indianapolis and DEMAND a Maybach at AMC Pacer prices!

Looks like it's time again for my annual trip to Dreyer & Reinbold BMW to EXPECT and DEMAND a 7 Series for the price of a Dodge Omni. Maybe this year I'll get something way above average when my budget is way, way below average. I'll let you all know how it goes....
So you believe that if they paid GL more he would stop making dumb mistakes in coaching? Face it he is in over his head here he has had 10 plus years to figure this out and he has failed . Throwing money at a Omni will not make it a 7 Series it will be an expensive Omni.

So you believe that if they paid GL more he would stop making dumb mistakes in coaching? Face it he is in over his head here he has had 10 plus years to figure this out and he has failed . Throwing money at a Omni will not make it a 7 Series it will be an expensive Omni.
IKR! Nearly the most wins in school history, over 100 MVC wins, wins over ranked and P5 schools, currently one of the best winning percentages of any coach in the entire ISU Athletics Dept., and if he leaves he'll be the first men's b-ball coach to leave with a winning record in 40 years. Recruited almost every post-1979 "great" player (Renn, Menser, Odum, Key...and he came with Nate Green). What a failure. Oh how I wish we could get back to the way things were with Greene, Locke, Schellhaus, Dillard, and Waltman's last 6 years. Those were the days. (As an aside, Waltman admitted he was fired due to "recruiting errors" made when he didn't have Lansing and the 2000-2001 NCAA teams were all recruited by Lansing).

It's not his salary. It's the fact the entire basketball budget has been dead last in the MVC for years and the margin between ISU and 9th, let along average, gets wider and wider every year. Dead last. We're up against programs in the Top 25, getting votes, and programs investing hundreds of thousand and/or millions more dollars into their programs.

Yet with all this, Lansing has a career winning record. He's is the opposite of a failure....he's one of the best ROI's in mid-major basketball.

IKR! Nearly the most wins in school history, over 100 MVC wins, wins over ranked and P5 schools, currently one of the best winning percentages of any coach in the entire ISU Athletics Dept., and if he leaves he'll be the first men's b-ball coach to leave with a winning record in 40 years. Recruited almost every post-1979 "great" player (Renn, Menser, Odum, Key...and he came with Nate Green). What a failure. Oh how I wish we could get back to the way things were with Greene, Locke, Schellhaus, Dillard, and Waltman's last 6 years. Those were the days. (As an aside, Waltman admitted he was fired due to "recruiting errors" made when he didn't have Lansing and the 2000-2001 NCAA teams were all recruited by Lansing).

It's not his salary. It's the fact the entire basketball budget has been dead last in the MVC for years and the margin between ISU and 9th, let along average, gets wider and wider every year. Dead last. We're up against programs in the Top 25, getting votes, and programs investing hundreds of thousand and/or millions more dollars into their programs.

Yet with all this, Lansing has a career winning record. He's is the opposite of a failure....he's one of the best ROI's in mid-major basketball.
...and yet in lieu of such "excellence," his ass would've been history 4 ys. ago had the former A.D. (and GL's then wife) not orchestrated the "rollover" contract which ISU couldn't afford to buy out!

He is your Buddy and can do no wrong in your eyes but he is not anything more than a career .500 coach that annually gets blown out in his last game. His game-plan is old and a new leader is on the horizon so give the PR a break.

Back