Coaching replacement list

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Is there anyone here that thinks he should come back?

Too early to tell. Lots of games left.

Drake and the trip to MSU are now out of the way. We're not going to SIU or Bradley where it's tough for us to win....though that is a weird test this year with no fans. A winning record is still gettable. And I think looking at things objectively that if we play like we did in game 2 in Springfield we'll beat some people.

So, fire someone with back to back winning seasons being saddled with a paltry budget? And as we saw last year ANYTHING can happen in Arch Madness. Lansing's track record there is not good but let's say we go into Arch Madness at or around .500 and make a little run....or go into it a few games over .500 and win a game or two and then grab an NIT bid? Fire that kind of coach? If we do he (and thankfully his assistants) will be a hot low-major or even mid-major commodity. There are plenty of OVC, MEAC, SoCon-type places that would take the results Lansing gets with the limitations he's had in a heartbeat. ISU was 18-12 last year (with talk of CBI or CIT invites pre-COVID but Clink was going to veto it regardless). If he gets fired after say 16-9, 16-10, or even 13-12 this year that'll make for quite a headline: "ISU fires Greg Lansing after back-to-back winning seasons." Especially considering he's saddled with one of the lowest, if not the lowest, MVC budget every.single.year

Finishing below .500 and Clink/Curtis can move on with a quasi-straight face. Finishing around .500 or better he should stay. And if he goes then Curtis, McKee, and the BOT's will need to make some drastic changes in the budget or it's likely we'll be having these same discussions year, after year, after year just like we have forever. Maybe Micah will be the Messiah...and if Lansing goes I hope he is. But it's an arms race out there and we keeping falling further and further behind our MVC peers every year.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.

Drake and the trip to MSU are now out of the way. We're not going to SIU or Bradley where it's tough for us to win....though that is a weird test this year with no fans. A winning record is still gettable. And I think looking at things objectively that if we play like we did in game 2 in Springfield we'll beat some people.

So, fire someone with back to back winning seasons being saddled with a paltry budget? And as we saw last year ANYTHING can happen in Arch Madness. Lansing's track record there is not good but let's say we go into Arch Madness at or around .500 and make a little run....or go into it a few games over .500 and win a game or two and then grab an NIT bid? Fire that kind of coach? If we do he (and thankfully his assistants) will be a hot low-major or even mid-major commodity. There are plenty of OVC, MEAC, SoCon-type places that would take the results Lansing gets with the limitations he's had in a heartbeat. ISU was 18-12 last year (with talk of CBI or CIT invites pre-COVID but Clink was going to veto it regardless). If he gets fired after say 16-9, 16-10, or even 13-12 this year that'll make for quite a headline: "ISU fires Greg Lansing after back-to-back winning seasons." Especially considering he's saddled with one of the lowest, if not the lowest, MVC budget every.single.year

Finishing below .500 and Clink/Curtis can move on with a quasi-straight face. Finishing around .500 or better he should stay. And if he goes then Curtis, McKee, and the BOT's will need to make some drastic changes in the budget or it's likely we'll be having these same discussions year, after year, after year just like we have forever. Maybe Micah will be the Messiah...and if Lansing goes I hope he is. But it's an arms race out there and we keeping falling further and further behind our MVC peers every year.

Come on man. You know, and I know, Lansing can NOT be FIRED this year. His contract ends at the end of March, and a new contract, has NOT been offered past that date.

His employment status could be described in a lot of different ways if he's no longer our coach, but it won't be because he was FIRED or TERMINATED.
If he's not here after the end of March, it will strictly be because he was NOT offered a new contract, or his contract has ende, or the contract was satisfied and is now completed. There's several ways to describe it, but saying with a straight legal face that Lansing was FIRED, is just NOT telling the truth.

Have you ever considered running for Public Office, or maybe being a Journalist on CNN? I think you'd be great at both jobs!

Don't disregard that after he got to the NCAA with McKenna's players in his first year he has never been back. All the talk about his number of wins (started year with 166) & rarely a mention about the number of losses (started year with 154) also accumulated ....... slightly better than 50% for his career. April 1st (and that's not an April Fool's joke) is his time to "Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more". Terre Haute needs to put a better product on the floor and GL's ten years of futility gets old.

Come on man. You know, and I know, Lansing can NOT be FIRED this year. His contract ends at the end of March, and a new contract, has NOT been offered past that date.

His employment status could be described in a lot of different ways if he's no longer our coach, but it won't be because he was FIRED or TERMINATED.
If he's not here after the end of March, it will strictly be because he was NOT offered a new contract, or his contract has ende, or the contract was satisfied and is now completed. There's several ways to describe it, but saying with a straight legal face that Lansing was FIRED, is just NOT telling the truth.

Have you ever considered running for Public Office, or maybe being a Journalist on CNN? I think you'd be great at both jobs!

Semantics. "ISU parts ways with coach after back-to-back winning seasons" or "ISU declines to renew Lansing contract after back-to-back winning seasons" would not be a good look for ISU IMO and Lansing and his staff would have no problem landing new jobs. I am hoping for this best case scenario in that ISU has another good season and renews him. You know, like a fan is supposed to want for their team. I get the sense there are people on here that actually want to see the team lose this year so they can argue for a new coach. That's just not me.

Semantics. "ISU parts ways with coach after back-to-back winning seasons" or "ISU declines to renew Lansing contract after back-to-back winning seasons" would not be a good look for ISU IMO and Lansing and his staff would have no problem landing new jobs. I am hoping for this best case scenario in that ISU has another good season and renews him. You know, like a fan is supposed to want for their team. I get the sense there are people on here that actually want to see the team lose this year so they can argue for a new coach. That's just not me.

It may be semantics on here, but in reality, we are talking about Lansing being dismissed IAW Indiana Labor Laws.

If Lansing has another follow on winning season, it would be a difficult decision by our AD, not to provide a two; or even a three year contract for that success! And I would think that most people on here would agree, that he probably earned that new contract. Because as we all know, back-to-back winning seasons at ISU is as rare as a Larry Bird sighting at his former alma mater.

However, we will soon see. We're playing home-and-home this Saturday and Sunday against SIU. And after SIU got stomped two games in a row by Drake, the Salukis will be motivated to win both games at the HC, or a split for them to stay in the top half of the conference....even though they're only 1-3, that's still good for 5th place! Let's hope it's the Trees who sweep the Salukis back to Carbonhell.

Just to put context on the discussion, State needs to finish conference play 9-5 and win at least once in St. Louis to finish up 13-12 or finish up 10-4 in the final 14 conference games if they were to not win in St. Louis, finishing 13-11.

I'd love for it to happen, but doesn't seem likely especially when you consider our remaining home games are vs SIU, Bradley, and Loyola, the latter being two of the top teams in the Valley. This team would need multiple sweeps on the road most likely to get to that number.

Based on what I saw against MSU, we will be lucky to win 10 games this season. Going 7-11 in MVC play (or 7-7 to finish the year) might even be too much to ask for.

Can't believe people have watched this team this year and would consider bringing him back. That's insane. He's done absolutely nothing since 2011. Sure he made the MVC title game one other time and lost. Gotten dominated in STL the last few years. 1-5 this year in the MVC. MVC is pretty weak btw. And we're getting pretty close to the time of year where ISU always takes their Lansing dive where they absolutely collapse, if that hasn't happened already. I LOVE ISU and you can doubt that all you want, but I'm tired of the constant lackadaisical stuff from ISU basketball.

If you're fine with mediocre ISU basektball, that's fine. But I'm not. And I already know the same lazy crap is coming "if you really want change, put your money where your mouth is". If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be wasting it on a mediocre product like ISU basketball.

I don't know either of the above just thought the salaries might be informative

in a ideal world, when ISU brings in a new MBB coach; the budget, salary, staff salaries will be higher than they are today

that may be a tall reach as COVID is going to put, IS putting a crimp on many budgets - esp the mid-majors

i don't believe ISU has donors in the same category of the utexas donors paying for tom herman's contract

I would think Stan Gouard would have to be on the top 5 list if not top 3 for most people. The guy has basically spent his entire coaching career in Indiana (including Terre Haute). From Danville Illinois (somewhat localish). Has compiled a 228-117 all-time record at Indianapolis. His teams always played hard when they came over and I always loved his enthusiasm on the sideline. The only knock on him is he is in his first year at USI (his alma mater) so that could be difficult waters to navigate with personal ties and contract issues. Don’t know the ins and outs of his coaching style, offensive/defensive schemes but his teams always past the eye test when they were in the Hulman Center.

As you mention, he's in his 1st year -- why would he leave his alma mater to take this job? I'm thinking he left the U.Indianapolis job b/c coaching at ISU_Evansville, he'll NEVER have to worry about getting kids enrolled - I believe the methodists that run U.Indianapolis are fairly strict on admissions, certainly not as open admission focused as ISU_Evansville

Todd Franklin at Vincennes University. All he does is win. His record is fantastic. Surprised he doesn't have a coaching job at a bigger school by now.

shouldn't suprise you; either he's damn happy at the JuCo level OR there's something in his resume/profile/past that has kept him from a bigger job

Not even a scenario like Gregg Marshall going from Winthrop to Wichita State?

I don't remember how Wichita State landed Marshall, maybe it was just money, and maybe Wichita State was the only offer, but when Marshall came to Wichita State....he had taken Winthrop to the NCAA, seven times out of the nine years that he was the Shockers Head Coach.

That's one heck of record. IMO, I can't imagine today, another Mid Major coach with that kind of success....just going from one Mid Major to another Mid Major.....that was 14 years ago that WSU hired Marshall. If Lansing had that kind of success that Marshall had at Winthrop, wouldn't everyone expect him to end up a P5 school?

When I say lower level, I meant D2/D3/JUCO coaches. My apologies for not being clearer.

Just occurred to me that Royce came from D2.

Though he was also a National Champion as an Asst at IU prior to that...I’d say that carried a little weight.

Back