Mark Adams on the changed landscape in college hoops

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The fact that anyone thinks this is different than it was before is funny. Miami was already paying players. It’s just now transparent. The landscape hasn’t really changed other than the veil has been lifted.

Sorta. Before it was simply $50 handshakes within the school's sphere of influence. The NIL agents are a new wrinkle because they will move things outside of that. Doesn't help if they are bad actors preying upon kids from vulnerable situations and life circumstances.

Sorta. Before it was simply $50 handshakes within the school's sphere of influence. The NIL agents are a new wrinkle because they will move things outside of that. Doesn't help if they are bad actors preying upon kids from vulnerable situations and life circumstances.
I guess my point is we were never competing with Miami for top-tier players. That hasn’t changed now that NIL funds are flowing.

Miami was also caught up in the Adidas FBI prove, so there were about a thousand $50 handshakes going on there before.

My favorite story(paraprahased) from the fbi thing was deandre Aytons cousin allegedly receiving $10,000+ in cash for Aytons commitment to Kansas. Money absolutely went down the shitter because he ended up going to Arizona. Was the risk these boosters (I think it was adidas) take by throwing duffle bags of money at people. To be clear, nobody feels sorry for adidas and any other booster that “wastes” their money.

only read the first few posts. the only thing that has changed is that now the people you actually watch can make money too. ]

Before this only everyone else involved got to make money.

Serious inquiry with a little context:

i think history plays a huge part of how people view NIL. The ncaa defended the university’s unwillingness to pay students. They simply could not afford it. Very few programs could actually afford to pay their players a real salary. The NCAA pushing that agenda decades certainly affected how people think about NIL. The concept has grown immensely because nobody could have possibly predicted how marketing, specifically with social media could be a source of revenue for athletes. The thing you hate now looks at lot different than the ncaa refusing to compensate players for such things as jersey sales and video game likeness. However, student athletes and their families have been getting under the table benefits for quite some time. Cars, cash, fake jobs, houses and jobs for family members have all been given out.

here’s my question: can anybody who’s been around a very long time say for certain that they know player x commited to school x because coach/booster/whoever paid for a commitment? I know the answers yes but I wouldn’t mind hearing anonymous anecdote from literally anybody, including this board. Seriously, how far can we go back? If a well known coach wants to come out and say this has been going on forever then why not throw out some veiled anecdotes.

I don’t personally need to see people thrown under the bus or peoples legacy’s come into question. I would just like people to be more honest about what they know. Coaches say they know it was going on so why not start discussing it now?

I know coaches hate NIL but they also hated watching their competitors cheat. I remember Lansing discussing in an interview that he hated recruiting against some of the deals or promises that were being made. I’m sure there’s thousands of coaches and connected people with their own stories.

only read the first few posts. the only thing that has changed is that now the people you actually watch can make money too. ]

Before this only everyone else involved got to make money.

as soon as the athletes pay for their own school costs, housing costs -- i'll worry about them being "exploited"

i think history plays a huge part of how people view NIL. The ncaa defended the university’s unwillingness to pay students. They simply could not afford it. Very few programs could actually afford to pay their players a real salary. The NCAA pushing that agenda decades certainly affected how people think about NIL. The concept has grown immensely because nobody could have possibly predicted how marketing, specifically with social media could be a source of revenue for athletes. The thing you hate now looks at lot different than the ncaa refusing to compensate players for such things as jersey sales and video game likeness. However, student athletes and their families have been getting under the table benefits for quite some time. Cars, cash, fake jobs, houses and jobs for family members have all been given out.

here’s my question: can anybody who’s been around a very long time say for certain that they know player x commited to school x because coach/booster/whoever paid for a commitment? I know the answers yes but I wouldn’t mind hearing anonymous anecdote from literally anybody, including this board. Seriously, how far can we go back? If a well known coach wants to come out and say this has been going on forever then why not throw out some veiled anecdotes.

I don’t personally need to see people thrown under the bus or peoples legacy’s come into question. I would just like people to be more honest about what they know. Coaches say they know it was going on so why not start discussing it now?

I know coaches hate NIL but they also hated watching their competitors cheat. I remember Lansing discussing in an interview that he hated recruiting against some of the deals or promises that were being made. I’m sure there’s thousands of coaches and connected people with their own stories.
Read the book “Caught in the Net,” written by former ISU coach Tates Locke, about his cheating at Clemson. It’s illuminating.

Yeah, there have been kids that have literally posted with booster money. The one that comes to mind the most is Ken Page, who was an OL that went to Clemson. He literally posted on MySpace at the time bragging about getting paid on his visit if I recall correctly with this photo:

kenpagedollars_original.jpg

No sooner than the post went up, it was quickly deleted but the Internet never forgets. One of the younger Bowdens were running Clemson at that time.

Also, when Urban Meyer had shit really rolling at Florida, several recruits did the same thing. Deonte Thompson is one I remember because he had pictures of his entire bed sprawled out with cash.

The fake black fraternity house was my favorite.

what was the fake part? there was no "accreditation" by the national real fraternity con-fabs of association?

or that several people lived together and called themselves a fraternity? 🤔

as soon as the athletes pay for their own school costs, housing costs -- i'll worry about them being "exploited"
that's your sticking point? we should switch your job to amateur status. you get enough to pay for your housing and valuable on the job work education. meanwhile even the people making sure you dont get paid are way overpaid.

that's your sticking point? we should switch your job to amateur status. you get enough to pay for your housing and valuable on the job work education. meanwhile even the people making sure you dont get paid are way overpaid.
imagine an AD or university drawing the line there. They’d might as well dig their own grave.

Lets pivot.

How do you guys structure this system where everyone can compete on some semblance of equal footing?

Lets pivot.

How do you guys structure this system where everyone can compete on some semblance of equal footing?
deal.

I dont think it will really be much different then now. you will find a place where you get a solid team that can play with the elite but mostly you will see the "HAVES" that you always have seen. I assume you will see conference jumping continue to put teams with like teams. I dont see a world where Duke or Alabama are on the same level as Indiana State or EIU

Lets pivot.

What if we went with an entirely new model of Collegiate based athletics? All schools' athletic revenue (or a set amount, or something) gets paid into a fund at the NCSA (another Blue Chips reference...lol). From that fund, the NCSA evenly distributes the money back to the schools. Everyone has a level revenue playing field.

The NCSA handles all scheduling, somewhat like professional leagues do. No one can buy all their non-con games to be at home. There can still be tournaments, but those are assigned by the NCSA. Schedules are determined either randomly, or by using a formula like the NFL, where the better you are, the harder your next year's schedule is. Equal numbers of home and away games.

Tournament format would remain essentially the same, although it could be argued that everyone should be in it, and it could be structured like the old Indiana single class basketball tournament.

There would have to be some rule structure in place to deal with NIL, or salaries, or however we'd end up paying the athletes. Scholarships and a salary would be a smart way, I think. Perhaps give each school a salary cap, and then it's up to them to decide how to divvy it up amongst their players. NIL should go away, and all players should be paid by the school, from the money sent out by the NCSA.

Realize that this structure would not include the P5, nor some of the wealthier mids, as they won't have any interest in sharing money. However, as time goes by, I believe that the popularity of this format might win over a lot of fans because of the inherent possibilities of winning a National Championship, being more likely to identify with the program (as a point of emphasis would be retention of STUDENT-athletes). Much like in the NFL, every team (unless you're the Lions) has the opportunity to move up through smart drafts (recruiting), retaining important players, and evening out the competitive landscape.

This was off the top of my head. I'd be interested to hear your additions, subtractions, or what not...

Yes - that's my position. Doubt it'll change as I don't buy the "exploitation" argument I've heard for decades.

I'd argue that there is virtually ZERO exploitation at the FCS or Div. II level -- maybe some at the FBS level

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Back