Mark Adams on the changed landscape in college hoops

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I agree that the NCAA should have gotten ahead of this thing, but let's be honest. The LAST thing the NCAA is interested in is anything that is equal across the board. 🤣
That's fair but I am not sure it was every fair across the board even before this. Certain schools and bigger schools will always have the ability to generate money at a higher level than smaller schools. Basically what would need to happen is a revenue sharing program for all of D1 sports across the board. Similar to what the big conferences have now. For example Vanderbilt in the SEC does not come close to generating what a program like Alabama football does. Yet both of those schools make the same amount of tv revenue. The Supreme Court in the 80s ended the NCAA stronghold on football. Thats when things changed as it allowed the big schools and conferences to then negotiate TV deals on their own. Once that occurred the game was always going to be lost. The financial gap now is just widening every year.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The NCAA has been asleep at the wheel for awhile and were in complete denial. Instead of trying to fight the pay thing at every step of the way. They needed to of gotten a head of it and come up with pay per pay system that was equal across the board. They got to delusional with the amateur status thing not ever changing and then when they got pressured they thought just allowing players to sell themselves would be a good go between instead of schools directly paying players. You combine this with the transfer without penalty and the transfer portal and the whole thing becomes a shit show.

And that's because the elites run the NCAA because as you mentioned, they are the cash cows so it is in their best interest to keep their money faucet flowing.

The first thing that needs to be done is autonomy needs to be rolled back. The second thing that needs to be done is an exploratory committee with EVERY D1 AD or designated representative needs to be formed to work on creating a fair and equitable system for ALL schools and athletes.

Also, if we're going to finally ID school athletic offices as businesses, the ability to remove Title IX needs to be on the table. Sorry, no business will remain in business by keeping product/service lines in place that lose money. Yet that is forced upon membership.

Certainly agree about them being reigned in but money drives it all. I am a graduate of a power 5 schools also but do see the damage. The NCAA however isn't going to reign its biggest cash cows. The only way I see something being done is for the federal government to step in. Congress can have a lot of power over public universities that take government money. And most of the top earning schools in the power 5 are public schools.

Noted -- Just remember, the NCAA was CREATED to keep the Federal Government OUT of college athletics and THAT was in 1906... Congress is as ineffective today as then

And that's because the elites run the NCAA because as you mentioned, they are the cash cows so it is in their best interest to keep their money faucet flowing.

The first thing that needs to be done is autonomy needs to be rolled back. The second thing that needs to be done is an exploratory committee with EVERY D1 AD or designated representative needs to be formed to work on creating a fair and equitable system for ALL schools and athletes.

Also, if we're going to finally ID school athletic offices as businesses, the ability to remove Title IX needs to be on the table. Sorry, no business will remain in business by keeping product/service lines in place that lose money. Yet that is forced upon membership.

Never gonna happen -- the only way to end it is if the schools gave up the federal golden goose... and THAT'S REALLLLYY NEVER going to happen

Someone is jealous of incoming teammate Pack's deal, eh? Pocket watching is going to lead to a lot of kids with no dance partner when the music stops.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1519865836881723392

Isn’t this where mark Emmett calls the dude into the principals office and reminds him he broke the “rules.” There’s literally like 2 rules and asking for pay-for-play is something you “can’t” do.

Anywho, he’s got that Scottie Pippen contract while playing next to Jordan. (Hopefully somebody gets the reference.)

The SEC and Big 10 are about to be making far more money than even the other 3 power conferences soon.
I've been hearing that trouble is on the horizon in The ACC. They will likely lose 5 schools to the SEC and the Big Ten within the next 5-10 years.

To SEC: Clemson and Florida State
To B1G: Duke, North Carolina, and Virginia

There's also an outside chance that Kansas will end up in the B1G before it's all said and done.

I remember the good ol days of less than a year ago when people thought that NIL deals would equate to local car dealerships featuring a student-athlete in a local tv commercial, or a semi-lucrative social media deal of some sort.

I remember the good ol days of less than a year ago when people thought that NIL deals would equate to local car dealerships featuring a student-athlete in a local tv commercial, or a semi-lucrative social media deal of some sort.
We were so young and naive back then…

Now Vitale cares about the bigger programs cheating? Usually he is the first to defend “my friend” Pitino, Calipari, Boehiem etc
At least he cares. And he's a BIG voice in college basketball. You might see his "friends" Krzyzewski and Wright join him, and maybe something gets done. I know it's far fetched, but it could happen... 🤣

Never gonna happen -- the only way to end it is if the schools gave up the federal golden goose... and THAT'S REALLLLYY NEVER going to happen

Which is why the system is going to crumble. It's flawed by design. You can't say they are businesses out of one side of your mouth like the Supreme Court did and then also mandate them to fund sports that cannot turn a profit.

At least he cares. And he's a BIG voice in college basketball. You might see his "friends" Krzyzewski and Wright join him, and maybe something gets done. I know it's far fetched, but it could happen... 🤣
I’m not so sure he really does. And if he does good for him, but where was he when all of these programs were setting up fake classes, hiring hookers, not having kids attend classes etc. now the problem is too big to look the other way I suppose.

Last edited:
I always love revisiting old recruit threads, hot topics, etc. to see how close or far we were to "predicting the future". It was pretty amusing to dust off this extremely old thread back when the NCAA was a much simpler place.

I guess the one this we didn't take into account was the transfer portal.

I also figured a SA would HAVE to give their "sponsorship" some sort of intrinsic value ie. commercial appearances, billboards, wearing certain shoes, social media posts, etc. I was so naive back then

I’m not so sure he really does. And if he does good for him, but where wells he when all of these programs were setting up fake classes, hiring hookers, not having kids attend classes etc. now the problem is too big to look the other way I suppose.
I think Vitale has been vocal about these things. If you purposely, or not, avoid listening to his broadcasts or don’t follow social media then you wouldn’t know. Honestly, I don’t blame people who avoid him because his personality can be a bit much. He’s been very critical of how long it’s taken for the NCAA to penalize schools/coaches that were caught up in the fbi. Vitale also getting a lot louder now that he seems to have beaten his recent cancer stuff. He wasn’t going after people when he was dealing with all that. Back at it now though.

Back