'18 IN PG Jalen Moore (Oakland)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

My first impulse would be to think grades are a problem.

I don’t think that is the case and I’d guard against jumping to conclusions like that unless you got some solid information.

The kid is little and you gotta he special to be that size and play at the next level. I’m sure an offer will eventually come his way - but Im just he’s got more than his fair share of skepticism.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I don’t think that is the case and I’d guard against jumping to conclusions like that unless you got some solid information.

The kid is little and you gotta he special to be that size and play at the next level. I’m sure an offer will eventually come his way - but Im just he’s got more than his fair share of skepticism.

WOC--ice can get pretty thin in a cold January. SSOM gave sage advice.

Last edited:
Back in '89, when current TH attorney ROWDY WILLIAMS was dating my niece @ THS, I literally busted my ass typing letters & making copies for schools that I thought matched his hoop skills & IQ. Peterson's Colleges series helped tremendously in this process. These letters included an athletic resume & new clippings of THS that season, which at one time was ranked #1 in the state (This was 6-7 yrs. before the IHSAA chopped the single class concept into pieces). All Rowdy had to do was lick a stamp. Anyway, Rowdy was interested in Intl Law at the time, so Oglethorpe just N. of Atlanta came chirping and seemingly fit his career aspirations, so Rowdy went south. Being away from his "main squeeze" that he'd dated for 3 yrs., he got homesick after a semester and transferred to Franklin, where at one time, he was acclaimed by Steve Alford as the best point G in the conference. I think Alfie was coaching @ Manchester then.

Ya, Rowdy showed me these "letters" from Lute Olsen (IA) and other big schools, but they were simply congratulatory/ego boosters. With a high GPA & SAT scores, Div III was a PERFECT fit for him.

Moral of the story is that sooner you become self-actualized, the quicker you'll find your niche.

Last edited:
Back in '89, when current TH attorney ROWDY WILLIAMS was dating my niece @ THS, I literally busted my ass typing letters & making copies for schools that I thought matched his hoop skills & IQ. Peterson's Colleges series helped tremendously in this process. These letters included an athletic resume & new clippings of THS that season, which at one time was ranked #1 in the state (This was 6-7 yrs. before the IHSAA chopped the single class concept into pieces). All Rowdy had to do was lick a stamp. Anyway, Rowdy was interested in Intl Law at the time, so Oglethorpe just N. of Atlanta came chirping and seemingly fit his career aspirations, so Rowdy went south. Being away from his "main squeeze" that he'd dated for 3 yrs., he got homesick after a semester and transferred to Franklin, where at one time, he was acclaimed by Steve Alford as the best point G in the conference. I think Alfie was coaching @ Manchester then.

Ya, Rowdy showed me these "letters" from Lute Olsen (IA) and other big schools, but they were simply congratulatory/ego boosters. With a high GPA & SAT scores, Div III was a PERFECT fit for him.

Moral of the story is that sooner you become self-actualized, the quicker you'll find your niche.

Good story, except that it doesn't really relate to the topic at hand. This young man isn't turning away Div II offers or Indiana State so he can hold out for Purdue, he doesn't appear to be getting any offers. And as Jason so eloquently summarized, how often do you see an All-State, Indiana Jr All-Star and 2,000 point scorer from Indiana have 0 offers?

I'm not saying anything other than the fact that I find it very strange. This kid is going to end up at a Div. II school and make someone look like a great coach.

Good story, except that it doesn't really relate to the topic at hand...This kid is going to end up at a Div. II school and make someone look like a great coach.

He couldn't make USI's squad, let alone be a "star." Same w/ KY Wesleyan or Bellarmine. He's 5'8" & white. Show me fve (5) Div II colleges in America that start 5'8" or under guards.

My story was RELEVENT because the kid obviously has not been marketing HIMSELF to gain the eye of any school. When you're playing & practicing, it's impossible. That's why I posted the ROWDY WILLIAMS story. He needs guidance & assistance in this regard. A "marketing agent" of sort. Family, friends, etc.

Good story, except that it doesn't really relate to the topic at hand. This young man isn't turning away Div II offers or Indiana State so he can hold out for Purdue, he doesn't appear to be getting any offers. And as Jason so eloquently summarized, how often do you see an All-State, Indiana Jr All-Star and 2,000 point scorer from Indiana have 0 offers?

I'm not saying anything other than the fact that I find it very strange. This kid is going to end up at a Div. II school and make someone look like a great coach.

He couldn't make USI's squad, let alone be a "star." Same w/ KY Wesleyan or Bellarmine. He's 5'8" & white. Show me fve (5) Div II colleges in America that start 5'8" or under guards.

My story was RELEVENT because the kid obviously has not been marketing HIMSELF to gain the eye of any school. When you're playing & practicing, it's impossible. That's why I posted the ROWDY WILLIAMS story. He needs guidance & assistance in this regard. A "marketing agent" of sort. Family, friends, etc.

Was thinking of this more and if he is "high school listed" at 5'8", it is possible that he may even be shorter than that?

As an aside and speaking of D1, for shits and giggles I pulled up the Rivals DB and searched for kids 5'8" and under listed with offers and it came back with 2.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/markquis-nowell-100133
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/damon-harge-3536

Then went over to 247 Sports and they only had 1.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Bynum-94643

Hopefully the only thing is the height. Good luck to the kid.

Has there ever in the history of Sycamore Pride, been a thread 5 pages long for a player we, nor any other D1,D2, or D3 team has offered?

I believe changing his first name to Spudd, or Muggsy would be attention getting and beneficial to recruitng.

Don't forget Monty Towe from your neck of the woods (well...on the outskirts of your spawning grounds).

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/monte-towe/?back=HallofFame

To help diffuse all this hype, how does this kid stack up against the 5'8ish" Mekhi Lairy from E-ville Bosse (recall last year's 3A Semi-State v. the Attucks?), who committed pre-season to Ohio U.? Lairy just became the all-time leading scorer in the City of E-ville.

Attucks v. Bosse:
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...s-first-state-title-game-since-1959/99108990/

All-time E-ville Leading Scorer:
http://www.courierpress.com/story/s...t-bosse-stunned-vincennes-lincoln/1066666001/

Last edited:

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-record-and-its-not-who-you-think/1082546001/

Moore’s college plans remain undecided. He has interest from a wide range of schools, from junior college to NAIA to Division I.

“We tell him to just be patient and play,” said Rady, who added that he believes Moore has Division I talent and should be an Indiana All-Star. “Keep winning. People like winners and he’s definitely a winner.”

Id like to see this kid get picked up and become a star.

all of college basketball doesnt miss very often

[FONT=&quot]Candidate Indiana All Stars per Indy Star Check it out!

Jalen Moore, Cloverdale
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At a glance: The 5-9 guard could make a run at the single-season state scoring record if Cloverdale can make a tournament run. Moore is averaging a state-leading 38.3 points per game giving him 690 points for the season. Carmel’s Dave Shepherd set the record with 1,079 points in 1969-70. Moore, now with 2,100 career points, is also averaging 5.2 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 3.4 steals as a senior for 13-5 Clovedale.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]More: Moore flirting with Indiana's single-season scoring record[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT=Helvetica]Candidate Indiana All Stars per Indy Star Check it out!

Jalen Moore, Cloverdale[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]At a glance: The 5-9 guard could make a run at the single-season state scoring record if Cloverdale can make a tournament run. Moore is averaging a state-leading 38.3 points per game giving him 690 points for the season. Carmel’s Dave Shepherd set the record with 1,079 points in 1969-70. Moore, now with 2,100 career points, is also averaging 5.2 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 3.4 steals as a senior for 13-5 Clovedale.[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT=Helvetica]More: [/FONT][URL="https://wlna-webservice.gannettdigital.com/articleservice/view/1082546001/indianapolis-sports/24.3.80/ipad?apiKey=57646bc6bca4811fea00000126a000bb69414f2a44f75039173cf104§ionUuid=b0e7b5df-1bfc-4ddd-8c74-fc2af69fc004"]Moore flirting with Indiana's single-season scoring record[/URL][/FONT]

"...IF Cloverdale can make a tournament run." What this is saying is that his TEAM VALUE still remains a question mark. In other words, can he make those around him BETTER, especially at the collegiate level. Can his game translate from the "ME" to the "WE?"

"...IF Cloverdale can make a tournament run." What this is saying is that his TEAM VALUE still remains a question mark. In other words, can he make those around him BETTER, especially at the collegiate level. Can his game translate from the "ME" to the "WE?"

Or maybe it is JUST saying that if his team wins games in sectionals then he will have more opportunities to score more points....

Or maybe it is JUST saying that if his team wins games in sectionals then he will have more opportunities to score more points....

It would take 10 more games to surpass Shepard @ his current PPG avg. Cloverdale has what, 4 reg season games remaining? Add 6 more in the IHSAA tournament.

Taking bets?

I’m not so sure that Craig Porter from Terre Haute South isn’t the best player in the area.

Back